Time flies, like the whooshing sound of a bullet train as it passes. Now that I am feeling well enough to return to doing school drop-offs and after school activities - life has been busy. However that doesn't mean I haven't had time to dip into my hobbies.
Let's start with the photoshoots. I recently joined a Barbie Collector's group that has a new theme each week and I've been finding it quite inspiring. For this week, it was 'Weddings'. Not owning any wedding dolls or gowns, I found a pattern and tutorial at Galaxia Dolls and decided to make a Maxi dress and give my doll wedding a boho vibe.
Presenting Fern (Thanks Anka for the suggestion) and Noah on their wedding day. The two met by chance three years ago when Fern mistook Noah (BMR1959 Ken) for the blind date her friend Imran set her up with (against Fern's wishes mind you!) The two hit it off from the get-go and started hanging out on weekends, first as friends then lovers. And here we are ...
Last week's theme was Boho which is what gave me the wedding shoot idea! This was the first photoshoot featuring Fern (Fashionista #201) who I had recently purchased and put on a MTM body.
I also bought Rainbow High Victoria Whitman. A doll with freckles not just on her face but her entire body? I've never seen that before so of course she had to come to the Wayward Inn. She came with a lot of accessories which was neat.
And a few more Barbies - Both are Barbie Extra dolls. I love their hair and faces a lot. Their outfits are not too bad either. I've had the second doll with the multicolour hair for a while but just hadn't ever posted a photo of her here.
Of course, it hasn't all been Barbie purchases. I've also dabbled in a spot of face up work.
First up is my very Pink girl. I experimented with using Fabric paint to colour a portion of her hair pink. I also attempted freckles on her face. It didn't work so well but I kind of like it on her. I will probably end up giving this doll to my daughter as she loves the Barbies that I do enhancements on and I've got her loving MTM bodies.
A bonus photo. My daughter wanted to post her doll (Barbie Stacie) with mine having a conversation. She also decided my doll needed a flower.
My second attempt at freckles turned out much better and more subtle but still visible. I also enhanced her face a bit with some blush as well. I don't mind her so much now.
I also attempted a Barbie repaint using just watercolour pencils and pastel. I decided that I didn't really enjoy doing Barbie repaints as they are too small!! I don't mind enhancing their current ones, changing lip colour, adding blush/freckles/eyeshadow but not painting a blank head from scratch!!
And then I pulled out my DF-A practice head and attempted a face up. It's not too bad - there are some things I like and some things I don't. Eyebrows are easy for me when I am drawing on paper - not so much on resin or vinyl!! He kept this face for a few days and then I wiped it. I will do another attempt soon. The main reason being is that I no longer feel comfortable sending my heads overseas for face ups. I do not trust international shipping much right now and most of the heads that need to have a face up are not ones I can get again if they get lost in transit. Hence why I am trying to do it myself. And only on heads that need it. I don't think I want to do it unless I absolutely have to. (and reluctantly at that.)
Since attempting these face up work, I've discovered, my strength does not lie in that part of the hobby. Neither does my enjoyment. I like to take photos, I like to build dioramas, I like to make clothing for my dolls. Right now I am renovating one of my Barbie houses again, just added a bathroom and yoga room. This is what brings me happiness. Face up and Repaints just make me frustrated and stressed and cranky. And that I feel reflects in the end product. And I'm okay with that. Everyone has their strengths in this hobby and it's okay to admit what yours isn't.
Having said that, I will admit, resin is more forgiving than vinyl when it comes to face ups.
This ended up being a long post and a big update but that is what I've been doing.I hope everyone else is keeping busy and getting creative in their own ways!
Until next time .... enjoy your week.











The wedding photos turned out great Alasse. I understand how you feel about sending heads overseas for face ups, I have only used local artists when I've needed work done. I don't enjoy doing them myself either, and although I enjoy sewing, knitting and photographing my dolls, my photography is somewhat lacking. Building my 1/6 scale room is my favourite occupation at present.
ReplyDeleteI think all of us have our strengths and weaknesses and it takes courage to admit the later.
Big hugs,
X
Such a wonderful couple! I love your wedding seshion, both the clothes and models! Hope they will be really happy with each other :)! And congratulations on getting new dolls (especially Victoria, she's so cute, delicate girl)! I like your face-ups ideas, but I can good understand, that you prefer to do other things in this hobby, it's the same with me. All my attempts were... ehem... tragic.
ReplyDeleteThose wedding photos look so great! Love them, Alasse! I agree with the hassle of sending heads out for faceup; I always purchased them with default makeup, and then learned to do my own because of that issue. Like Linda say, it's okay to prefer to do other things! We all enjoy the hobby differently!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry I am so late, for some reason your posts don't always show up in my reading list. I love the boho look for Fern, the one with the guitar is my favorite.
ReplyDeleteHello, here I am, like the last wagon on that fast running train. :) Hope that all is well. The wedding photos are lovely and I really like the new Rainbow High doll with the freckles. Never seen that one here. Needed to check out the Swedish Amazon, just in case. :)
ReplyDeleteLove the photos with your daughter's doll and her suggestions!
Repaints on Barbies and even Monster Highs are challenging. A bit easier on Monster High, though, because of the eyes being more outlined. But I think that you did well on your try. You learned and as Musume wrote, we enjoy the hobby differently.
Great with a Barbie Collector's Group!
I love how you keep taking photos despise being so incredibly busy. I have yet to pick up my camera and shoot anything that's not my dog, hahaha, and even that I do so little.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos, I hope everything is going well and you get to post more photos soon.
I missed your post. And I have no idea how that happened.
ReplyDeleteI love the wedding photoshoot, especially the second photo.
I still have Victoria in my Amazon basket - I'm just waiting for some discounts. xD She is absolutely lovely! These freckles! *_*
It's great that your Daughter takes part in the photoshoots. It's really great. Annoying sometimes, but great. xD
And I have absolutely the same feelings about repainting. Not my piece of cake. But your work on BJD's face is really great though. I think you can make it as you want with a little bit of practice.
Hey you! Get yourself together girl and start posting again, there are too many blogs falling by the wayside, we need to see you around here. 🥰
ReplyDeleteBig hugs,
X