Today, I thought I'd try my hand at some non-permanent piercings for Vin. I've been itching for him to have some so after browsing a few tutorials I dragged out my jump rings and trusty white glue. Little did I know I would be in for an afternoon of frustration.
The suggested white glue was useless and barely holds his lip ring on and as for the intended eyebrow ring, well that idea was scrapped after the glue or the ring left some weird white mark on his face that is noticeable and means I am going to have to get his face up redone.
I've managed to hide the mark with his fringe but it isn't a wig I particularly like on him. It has been a trial trying to find a wig for this face and I am still searching. I also noticed his body (purchased in 2010) has yellowed quite a bit compared to his head (purchased in 2012). Either that or AOD decided to change their resin mixture as well as modifying all their old sculpts without announcing it.
Lucky he's still handsome enough that I can forgive him for being such trouble.
In other doll related news, I am still trying to find my gypsy girl and so far, the only sculpt that comes close to representing her is Iplehouse JID Cecile. However, it's no secret that I had no end of trouble with the previous JID girl body I had and I am not a huge fan of the hand sculpting on those bodies anyway. So unless I was lucky enough to find a decent match for Iplehouse real skin for the body and somehow managed to get my hands on the real skin Cecile head, it's back to the drawing board for that character.

I never tried the piercing thing because I was so terrified I'd bump it and scratch the faceup... so I applaud you for trying... but man, it sounds like it was a pain in the arse.
ReplyDeleteHe still looks pretty cool, regardless :)
Man, it was a huge major pain. From the tutorials I had read, it seemed like it was a matter of sticking it on with white glue and you're done. That's not how it panned out. It took me ages just to do the lip ring and double the time on the eyebrow ring. Lucky his wig hides it.
DeleteHubby is going to help with the eyebrow piercings though. We might be able to cover up the white mark and he thinks the mark doesn't look too bad, kind of like he has an old scar there.
Oh! I am so sorry about the piercing and the face-up problems!!! :( I never tried anything like that so I cannot advise you what to do...I have to say you are quite brave to try and the lip piercing looks awesome (even if you say its not holding that well...)
ReplyDeleteTh resin thing is quite weird, but it happened to me that Carl's body actually yellowed a bit more than the rest of my MNF (even those bought first or in the same year), and he was exposed to even less light than the girls. But since it's not a huge difference and it is even I can live with it.
Maybe you manage to correct the body color with some cleaning (I saw some tutorial once, but I don't remember where) or to blush the face so the color difference il less noticeable.
I totally agree with you about JID's! I love the sculpts (I am quite found of Asa and Kassia) and I considered buying one of them before buying Narae, but I don't love their body sculpting... I guess a match will be a hard find too! Hopefully you will find a solution or another sculpt that could work ;)
I tested the lip piercing this morning and it seems a lot more stable so the white glue must have dried and bonded overnight and it's working good now. Thank goodness!
DeleteHubby doesn't think the mark on the face up is that bad but he's going to help me maybe try to cover it up with another piercing there. I might switch out the intended eyebrow ring for studs if I can find some small enough.
I think it must depend on the company too because I used to have a white skin Dollfamily boy and he yellowed within 6 months and it wasn't like he was in sunlight all the time or anything. And yet my Popodoll boy hasn't yellowed at all I don't think, at least not drastically and I've had him for a while, maybe almost a year now.
The difference in the resin isn't too noticeable in photos so I'm not too worried but given AOD changed their sculpts I am curious if they also maybe changed their resin colours. Gu's pink head seems a lot more pinkish and his body has a more peach tone to it. Same with my white skin AOD girl. The newer white (her head) is almost a paper white when I got her and her body has always been more of a creamy white even brand new.
I think it's some kind of toothpaste bath or something. It's supposed to lessen the yellowing effect/look. But I do know the bath you mean. I'm not too concerned with it but maybe if it bugs me, I might try that. Thanks for the suggestion!
I had a JID Asa. She was hear for about 6 months before I moved her on. She is a gorgeous doll but that body ...I'm not a big fan. I think I will just look at another sculpt completely. I am sure new ones will appear on the market at some stage that will suit.