I initially tried the dream avatar from Gaia Online but didn't really like it. Looks like they changed it from the last time I visited (we're talking years ago, before I even got into the bjd hobby).
I have been thinking about what I want my three fantasy characters to eventually look like so I had a bit of play on this maker to get a visual for what I intend to do, although I daresay the final version will only resemble these a little.
From left to right: Jarlath, Naiya, Sado.
Yes, this in fact means that I have decided to keep my two Resinsouls. They just need a bit more work done to get them where I want them.
Jarlath is a mage warrior. He favours the great sword. He can also do basic offensive spells. Naiya is my weaver/cleric (she is able to draw on the essence of divine magic and through words and song cast healing and defensive spells.) Sado is my dark elf warrior. He has no magical abilities but is a capable fighter with his weapons of choice which generally consists of axes, scythes, cleavers and whips.
I also did a self chibi and my muse. I see my muse as a female with two aspects to her, both representing the different genres I like to write in.
The one in the middle is me looking as confused as ever. The chibi on the left represents urban fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk and the chibi on the right represents fantasy, paranormal and mystery.
I've been thinking a lot about shelling my muse. That would be rather cool. I know I said I wanted a gypsy girl but the more I think about it, the more Nikolas fulfills my gypsy requirement. Yes, he's a male gypsy and I never ended up with a female gypsy but maybe that's a good thing. Keeps things interesting.
I'd love "The Muse" to be the final doll purchase. I have no intention of buying more dolls after her. I'll have pretty much reached my maximum doll quota (which I never really intended to reach but these dolls are addictive.)
And then I can really start hankering down and looking at making things for them without the distraction of incoming dolls and the wait game.
Which begs the question because curious minds want to know, do you have a doll quota? How did you come to this decision?


I've thought I had a doll quota a couple times, and then promptly exceeded it. (The first BJD I got was going to be my only one, in fact.) But I do find that there is such a thing as too many for me, and I'm pretty happy with the six I have now (+ the incoming cat).
ReplyDeleteIt's neat to see the two sides of your muse! :D
Ah yes, I remember those days when I thought I would only have two dolls, one male, one female. And then things got addictive!
DeleteI don't really remember what it was like to have six! My quote was always seven dolls - I have well and truly exceeded that!
Just to play devils advocate, perhaps it's best not to shell your muse? Making her solid might take away her possibilities.
ReplyDeleteThough might also means she sits on the desk glowering at you so you write more.
I think she would definitely be the glowering type!
DeleteI'm not in a hurry and I don't plan to shell her until sometime next year so if I change my mind before then, that's the universe telling me it wasn't a good idea!
I think I will play it by ear and see how I feel when I am ready to actually buy. Right now, I have a strict criteria for the doll who would shell my muse and so far, I haven't really come across any sculpts that do her justice.
OMG is this not the most fun thing ever!! When I found it I spent hours making chibis of all my characters, then different versions of them, and then redoing them in photoshop to get them exactly how I wanted XDD it was so addicting.
ReplyDeleteI have no doll quota. I used too, but every time I reached it there were more dolls....so I just kept making new ones. At this point I don't really want new dolls (a couple of the last ones I've gotten recently have kind of been so perfect I can't even think of getting more....) and I don't have characters I "need" shelled, so...I might be done. I would like some new bodies, and maybe one more mini to round out the group, but at the moment, that's it. I actually wouldn't mind selling a few more, but with what I have now, I'm afraid I would regret it if I did. I cut out all the "extras" already. I'm down to dolls I really like, even though that's a pretty large number. D:
Get your muse!!! Alexes I and III are mine. Alex in general was my muse...he made me be creative and come up with my own stuff instead of using other peoples characters, so he just kind of stepped in and filled that job without me really thinking about it. I and III represent him the best, so as dolls they're the ones I grab when I feel like I need help being creative. Sometimes just having them around to glare works, but also doing little things like changing clothes or taking a photo works really well too.
Those chibi generators are as bad as IMs! I seem to lose track of time playing around on them.
DeleteI think in terms of characters, I am pretty much done with the shelling too. The need to acquire has waned quite a bit this year and I think unless the dolls is something special, I won't likely be buying for a while.
That's right, I remember you have the Alexes. I find them so cute and intriguing. I love that you have them in different ages too.
I am really tempted with the idea of shelling my muse. But it won't be until next year at this stage. Also, that depends if I find the right sculpt. So far, I know I don't want the doll any taller than 30cm and any shorter than 26cm which narrows my margin down a lot. I want a doll small enough to able to just grab and travel with if I feel like taking some impromptu photos out and about or to sit by my computer to help me be a bit more creative.
So far, I haven't found any that suited. I guess also wanting the doll in white skin cancels out a lot of companies that only offer normal skin. I see my muse as something otherworldly and completely removed from the mundane (our) world. I'll probably be super fussy with the sculpt requirements for my muse which means it'll take a while for me to find anything I like enough!