Saturday, 29 March 2014

Back in Time

I've always had a thing for fashion from the 50s. I think that is one of the major draws for me when it comes to the Fashion Royalty dolls I have started collecting. I love their vintage style fashion. Of course, this means I now have a hankering to try my hand at actually making some for my dolls, both the FR and resin folk.

For inspiration, I did a quick image search on pinterest for fashion from this era, specific to female fashion. Some of my evening wear for myself has this style. The tricky part is I have so far been unable to come across any tutorials or patterns for an SD13 girl for similar style dresses. I wanted to throw it out there and hope someone reading may know or have come across something like this for SD13 girls?


I'm wanting to turn Caitlin into my 50s style dress wearing girl. She has a gorgeous body shape that I think will look fantastic in this style of clothing.

I also mentioned a couple of posts back about possible dolls I was toying with moving on. I packed the two in question away for a few weeks and then decided to keep them. A new idea grew for their sculpts and I decided to run with it. Keeps things fresh. Five of my MSDs will be known as the Gods of Parn with my Limwha Mono and MyDolling Heeah as the only mortals kicking around.

It all started with this opening line that came to me one night:

Being a God isn't all it's cracked up to  be. Mortals think it's all about the power and making people do things you want them to but the truth is, we have rules. And sometimes, these rules get broken and what follows is a big sea of chaos. Not something that's healthy for Gods or mortals...

I am still having a bit of an issue with finding the right wig for my Minifee Carl (who is now Dimtri). All of my Gods have human names. They don't really like to reveal their God names (that would be like handing over a key to your soul and all!)

But I have somewhat sorted out my Minifee Shushu (now called Lavinia).


Still need to buy shoes that fit for her and another pair of pants I think. Not sure I like these ones with the jacket and shirt.


I still need to attach some eyelashes on her. The old ones fell off. I think she looks a lot tougher and a little more badass here which I am liking. I was never one for sweet female characters. Just can't seem to do them.


And not to be left out, Victoria got redressed in a new dress I bought off ebay. I adore this on her. I'd really like to figure out how to make dresses like these. I'd make so many of them! I just love the design and style. I do need to buy more shoes and jewellery though for the FR girls. Or make them jewellery myself. Some hoop earrings would look good on her. I think I might try to restyle her hair at some point. I really adore how these dolls photograph.

6 comments:

  1. Hah, would you believe that I didn't recognise the Shushu as being your OE Shushu? Till I really looked at her, I thought it was your modded girlie! She looks so... badass. You do have a good touch with strong women, so I look forward to seeing more of this one.... and the rest of the ones in this storyline, actually. I like the concept.

    As for the '50's fashions. I think I may still have the 50's patterns I drafted for my F65 girl, so if you are able to come around sometime and bring her, I can try a mockup on her if you'd like and see if I can't maybe help you with getting some basic stuff together for her. I have a love or the 50's too, but never have been able to find a girl here to wear the styles... so it'd tickle me pink to enjoy it vicariously through one of your girls!

    And lastly, I hope I can get the chance to see one of your FR girls in person sometime. I agree that they do look so striking in pictures. I haven't had a fashion doll for years now, and these are so different from the ones I had. I love their clothes and styling, so very detailed and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is fantastic to hear. I am glad my OE Shushu looks very different from her former incarnations. I really try sweet but it just doesn't seem to gel with me (except maybe with the Tinies). I am really loving this new look for her to be honest. I am glad I ended up keeping that wig around. I was a bit surprised because her face up is more of a sweet style face up when I was in that phase of face ups but with the change of wig and clothing, it just totally changes her appearance. Which reminds me why I adore BJDs.

      Oh yes, next time I come for a visit, I'll drag Caitlin along for the ride. I remember that dress you made for your F65 girl. It was that green one. I always loved that dress. Kind of almost made me want to buy her from you just for the dress! Shame she was a bit too big for me.

      From looking at the dress styles for that era, the shapes seem to be pretty basic so it's just a matter of getting my measurements right and working out those basic shapes and putting them together. The idea is easy to understand in my head but translating it into something more physical is where I trip up with patterns.

      I will definitely bring some of the FR girls along too. I adore their fashion line (even though they can be as pricey as bjd clothing!). The cut and style is just so gorgeous and sophisticated. The only problem with them I s they're like Volks a bit in that most dolls are purchased through lotteries and are only produced in limited quantities so as you can imagine, second-hand prices are through the roof for some of them. I saw one on ebay tonight for over $1000.00. I think it was one of the super limited ones that you could only get at one of their conventions or something.

      I was too late to join the club so ... my chances of getting these dolls at retail (between $75-170) is very slim. It's really the only thing that bugs me a lot about the FR dolls.

      Delete
  2. Lavinia has cuch a great look! I love that coat, in particular. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love her new style. It was a gift from a friend of mine and looks so good on her. I had intended Kiyanna to wear it but Lavinia has called dibs on that one!

      Delete
  3. Lavina does look fabulous! They all do, but I particularly like to see how different Shushu's can look. I love her outfit especially! And the new story sounds interesting!

    I redid one of my dolls over the weekend -- I still don't really have a story for her. Or him. Who knows what will happen with that one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a trial trying to get her to look less sweet! I do like this new version of Shushu quite a bit. I think the jacket helps with the badass image.

      Something will pop up when you least expect it. That's how it tends to happen with mine. The story just comes out of nowhere and usually when I stop thinking about it!

      Delete