Saturday, 11 July 2015

BJD Meme : How far has your doll photography come?

Compare one of your very first photo and a current one.


I came across this meme over at deviantART and you know me and memes. These are my two photos, one from 2010 (very first batch of doll photos I ever took) featuring my very first bjd, DF Lyre and the other is from 2015 featuring my modded FL Shushu.

I'm not really sure how far my doll photography has come. I guess I have learned to take better posing photos and angles of my dolls. There's more "life" to them but then again, it depends on my mood. If I'm feeling inspired, I tend to take better photos than when I am forcing it.

How about you? How far has your doll photography come?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT: The blog has been a bit quiet as I have been sucked back into the world of photo manipulation again. My latest works: The New World, Moon Princess, Elsewhere. I am working on a new photo manipulation project featuring Clara, my Sepia Alice Pullip but the concept is in draft stage at the moment so it might be a while yet.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love BJD memes! ♥ I've seen many people do this kind of comparison, but for some reason I've never done it myself... Now I think I must, I'm curious how old doll photos I manage to find from my computer X'D

    I think it can be hard to compare a photographer's progress based on just two photos, but I can definitely tell that you've improved from 2010! Like you said, there's more "life" to the second photo and also the posing and angle seem more natural c:

    I was not aware that you have a Deviantart account as well! Must watch you, though I haven't been that active on dA lately ^^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your comparisons when you get them up. It's always interesting to look back at old photos, pretty nostalgic for me as a lot of the dolls have been sold now. Makes me miss those early days sometimes.

      I remember back in 2010, I had no idea what to do with the doll or rather I was so scared he would break that I was careful not to do more than stand him around. Although he was pretty solid at standing, sitting and pretty much most poses I put him in. The aesthetics of the body weren't great but the posing ability was one of the better ones that have come through here.

      I didn't realise you had a DA account either. I added you to my watch list. I go through phases with DA. Sometimes I'm really active on there but then I go quiet on there for months. I've had that account for ages now. I think I created it back when I was really into creating pixel dolls.

      Delete
  2. I love this comparison, you have really improved and your dolls feel so alive. I hope one day I can say the same with mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes though, I can't seem to see the improvement in my photos of the dolls. I guess it just depends on how inspired/motivated I am feeling whenever I take photos these days. I actually already think your photos make your dolls feel alive. I like the way you take photos of them.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alasse,
    I can see a difference between the two, and an improvement, the second is much more natural. I think it takes a while to get your head around photographing dolls unless you are a really experienced photography.

    I have been trying to improve mine too, because I could see my dolls looked quite stiff in photos when I began.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes it is hard to see your own improvement when photographing dolls. You are right though, it takes some getting used to. Before dolls, all I really took photos of were landscapes, portraits and flowers.

      Delete