So here goes ....
Werewolf – How has the hobby “transformed” you?
The hobby has taught me a lot of things including sewing which is something I hadn't really done before collecting dolls. I also started getting into beading so I could make doll jewellery and I've recently started experimenting with diorama. It's such an inspiring hobby with such inspiring people from all over the world.
Vampire – The dreaded sun! How do you feel about and cope with yellowing, or more generally the aging of these dolls?
I don't really have any problems with it. I have my dolls out in a display cabinet when I am not photographing them because I like to admire them. My oldest bjd is my CP Chiwoo from 2006 who has yellowed quite significantly but to me, she looks perfectly fine. Things tend to age (me included!!) and that's just a fact of life. It used to bother me when I first entered the hobby but I've accepted it over the years and these days it really doesn't bother me at all.
Frankenstein’s Monster – Have you ever modded a doll? Tell us about it! If you could magically try any mod without fear of failure, what would you like to try?
I have never modded a doll. I leave that to the experts. I have no confidence with that type of thing and would be afraid I'd ruin the doll (this is also why I don't do face ups myself). However, if there was a magical artifact that could let me magically mod my doll without fear of failure, I would love to turn a doll into a dryad complete with wood grain veins all over the body.
Zombie – Have you ever caught the Marketplace virus?? Name some unplanned purchases that jumped out and “infected” you?
This doesn't happen to me often because I am usually careful with my purchases but I have had two unplanned purchases that did 'infect' me. My CP Chiwoo head and my FL Halloween Event head. Something about both of those heads just really grabbed me. For the Chiwoo it was the face up and those big eyes. For the Halloween head, even though she was blank, there was just so much potential with that face.
Skeleton – What’s your favorite body sculpt? Forget heads!
In my collection, it would have to be the Dollshe Rhythmos body. It obviously has issues with sitting but boy, the sculpting on that body is really detailed and just incredible. The hands, the feet, that body, tall, lanky and slouchy. It's just gorgeous.
Witch – Name some dolls that are magical! Seeing them on your dashboard inspires you! Can be general sculpts or specific dolls owned by talented friends.
I haven't purchased any of their dolls but I really admire Doll Chateau and a lot of their sculpts. I find them different from other sculpts and I love their creativity and their concepts. I would love to own one of their dolls one day but we'll see. I also really like the creativity and designs of the Iplehouse Theme Dolls. Their backstories, their costumes, they are all so amazing.
Ghost – The one that got away. Do any limited or rare dolls “haunt” you to this day?
I would have to say this question would apply to Day Tripper Poppy Parker from the Fashion Royalty line, Kinoko Juice Sweet Dream Chiika from the Pureneemo line and C.A. Cupid from the Monster High line. Although this is mostly because I came into collecting those lines much later after these dolls had already been released a few years prior. I would certainly consider these the grail dolls of those specific lines. I don't really have any dolls that 'got away' from the BJD line. I've always been able to get what I've wanted and lucky for me, I don't often tend to gravitate towards the limited bjds.
** Promotional Photos
Freddy Krueger – What is your worst doll nightmare? Has it happened or not?
My worst doll nightmare would be a natural disaster and losing my doll collections, even though they are all insured, it would be hard to replace them especially the bjds who have custom face ups (especially as one of the dolls has a face up by an artist who is no longer doing face ups). I could never get the exact same doll again. Luckily *touch wood* that hasn't happened but where I live, we do get cyclones over a period of three - four months of the year. The last big one was Yasi which was a few years ago. So there is always that fear.
Jason Voorhees – If you were gonna make Halloween costumes for your dolls (or if you plan to!) what costumes would you make?
I actually have a Halloween meet with my friend coming up and had planned on making a witches hat but I'm not sure how well that will turn out. I have made some Halloween themed plushies for the dolls though. Does that count?
Chucky (possessed doll) – Have you ever been scared of dolls or a certain doll? Be honest!
Chucky for one. That little guy looks like he'd have no problems getting you while you slept!! There aren't really any other dolls that scare me.There are some that are obviously not to my taste but that's just a personal thing.
* * *
Xanadu from Xanadu Dolls
Irene from Caketown
VampireAngel13 from Paint It Black Studio
Anyone else who would like to do the meme, have at it!





What a fun meme! (so fun that I've tagged myself and will be posting my own answers later)
ReplyDeleteI'm still so glad you got your beautiful Chiwoo. She was a good impulse buy. She seems like she's been a really good muse for you, too.
I agree with you about the Doll Chateau dolls. I remember when they first showed up, I was so enchanted with everything about them. Those bodies, the crazy fullset outfits, and the unique faces. I wanted to put a Saint on the long, lanky boy body. I still like to go look at their new releases.
And I hope you find (for good prices) some of those 'ghosts'. I really like the look of the Cupid MH girl. I've never seen her before, although I probably don't know most of the current ones. And I also love that Chiika, but she's so, so pricey on the secondhand market, isn't she.
Our doll nightmares are pretty much the same. And, like you, even if I could replace them, it wouldn't really be replacing them to be the same doll.
I love the sound of the Halloween plushies... And I don't think I said how amazing I think one of your recent ones turned out, too! I'm going to have to pick your brain on how to make them when you're over. I've long wanted to make some critters for mine.
I saw that post on your blog. I left a comment.
DeleteI really love her face. It's surprising how very petite she looks even though that sculpt is supposed to be a male sculpt.
Me too. I love seeing what DC come out with. I really love the way they present all their new dolls. It really makes me want to buy one but maybe if I win lotto. Or get a high paying job. I remember you showed me one of the big bodies that you got that one time. I think it was a female body from memory. It was just so lovely. I like that they have played a bit with human proportions, broken some of the rules and are more stylised.
That Chiika is incredibly hard to find and yeah, so pricey. CA Cupid is the only character I believe that started out in MH and then moved across to EAH (Ever After High). I'm not sure of the story behind it all but both lines have a CA Cupid version. I think she was released as part of the Sweet 1600 line and the dolls from that line are pretty hard to find but Cupid is the hardest to find. I saw her up on ebay (never been unboxed) for around $400AUD and nude versions of her go for around $100AUD. I was pretty sure she wasn't one of the limited editions but I could be wrong if she's that hard to find...
The ones I've been making recently have all been from purchased patterns from Etsy but they do teach you a lot about the stitches to use. I'll bring the fleece one over as that was my third attempt and the one that turned out the best. But bascially, I just haunt Youtube video tutorials on how to make them.
That pureneemo is sooo cute, is there no way to get her now? Or is she just ridiculously expensive now?
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you on the Dollshe body ~ the hands must be my favorite. I love gorgeous hand sculpts!
She is really hard to find and when she does come up, she is really expensive, probably more than I want to pay for her to be honest (unless I won lotto). I think it's because of the Kinoko Juice brand. She's adorable though and I really want a Pureneemo with pink hair. I don't have one yet sadly.
DeleteDollshe have the best male hands I've seen in a long time. And their feet, huge but very detailed.
Hi Alasse!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tag, I've done it (it was a great way to get out of a few things I didn't really want to do today). I see you had fun doing yours too. It was certainly interesting reading all your answers and I noticed we have a "hand thing" in common be it different sexes. :) If I ever see a Cupid I'll be sure to let you know, she is very pretty for MH.
Hugs,
X
No problems Xanadu. I'm glad you decided to do the tag. I always love reading what people answer to these.
DeleteOh yeah, I love how hands are sculpted. It's probably why I have been disappointed with some sculpts over the years that have come through here. The company spends so much time on the face and body sculpt and then the hands feel like an after-thought. Thankfully, not all companies neglect that part of a sculpt.
Thank you for that. I appreciate it! Cupid is incredibly beautiful. I love her whole styling too and how part of her hands/wrists and feet/ankles are black. The only problem is she can sometimes be really expensive on the secondhand market which is a shame. I've seen a few on ebay but the prices have been a little too high for me.