I'm still waiting on the arrival of my airbrush but in the meantime, I've been slowly gathering my supplies and trying out something I've been itching to do. Cut an eye hole out in a vinyl doll.
It's interesting and lucky these heads are all cheap experimental heads in case I stuff up! If I can actually do this in some decent way, I wouldn't mind putting eye holes in one of the MH girls that I'd love to make custom and paint myself.
This is the very first time I've used a scalpel knife so it was an interesting tool to use and discover. I also found I really like carving vinyl!! Still needs a bit of work and tweaking and the trick will be getting the other eye the same ...which is already challenging enough when I draw portraits to get both eyes the same! But knowing this is a practice head makes me a bit more adventurous.

It's great that you have some cheap heads to practice and experiment on, it does make it a lot easier to try out things since you don't have to worry so much :) Can't wait to see more of your projects!
ReplyDeleteIf I was doing this on a head I actually want to keep, I'd be freaking out by now. Plus I discovered that knife is so sharp and can easily slip and slice in a spot you hadn't intended!
DeleteIt's always a waiting game, waiting for supplies to arrive to do anything.
It's a great way to practise indeed :3 I hope you can show some of your face-up practise soon!
ReplyDeleteI hope so too although if they look really awful, I won't be showing them off! I just need to get the sealant as I'm using the non-toxic ones you use with the airbrush. Should be interesting. I have never owned nor ever used any sort of airbrush before.
DeletePractice makes perfect and yu will be doing this in your sleep in no time haha :D
ReplyDeleteHope the airbrush arrives soon, I can't wait to see what you do!
I hope that turns out to be true! I think I might try and carve out eye-holes for one of the Barbie heads ... although I don't think there are eyes that small being made ... the smallest I have seen is 6mm.
DeleteI'm hoping it gets here by the end of the week but ...not very hopeful that will happen...
An interesting experiment! Looking forward to seeing more - I love seeing what turns out to be possible.
ReplyDeleteI haven't worked with vinyl before so should be interesting. Never carved or modded resin though mostly because that material freaks me out a bit so I never attempt or mod resin but vinyl on the other hand ... a bit more pliable and softer and carving the material seems to be relatively easier. So we'll see how I go.
DeleteLooks like you are beginning a pretty cool project! :D
ReplyDeleteCool thing you are getting an air brush. Those are amazing tools. *^^*
Btw, I hope you won't mind me linking to here on my blog? :3
Hi Kirstine! Thanks for dropping by and no, I don't mind at all if you would like to link to the blog. Thank you!
DeleteThe airbrush is only a make-up brush to test out sealant for now. I'll upgrade a bit later to the artist airbrush if I find I like doing repaints. Figured I better start with training wheels first having never used this particular tool before.
Hey your doing a great job there Alasse. I fully understand the right verses left, doesn't seem to matter whether it's drawing or painting eyebrows on a doll, I have the same problem. Can't wait to see the next instalment on this doll.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
X
Thanks Xanadu! I've had to tweak it some and need to sand the rough edges to be a bit smoother. Would help if I hadn't left my sandpaper sheet on the Bunnings counter today! Luckily, they're holding it for me to pick up tomorrow.
Delete