Saturday, 20 February 2016

Trial and Error

I tested out the sealant today and it works quite well although it's a trial and error to try and make sure things are sealed evenly. For some of the Bratz boy head, the sealant took well, other parts, it didn't seem to take well and I had a bit of a hard time getting the pencil lines to show up.

I sealed both heads three times before working on them. Some parts of the sealant show up a bit white but I think that's due to the humidity in the air. I have to spray outside so I'm pretty much in the heat when I spray but I don't have any other area to do this.


I really need to work on eyebrows as I can never get the darn things even and they're a bit thicker than I wanted but oh well. I'm going to try acrylic liner on the girl head and see how it turns out. I plan to wipe and redo her in a more anime style after I finish what I have so far.

For now, this is mostly playing around with pastel blushing, watercolour pencils and acrylic paint. One of the barbie heads I have I might trying doing the whole thing with paint and pastels but I haven't sealed it yet.

As far as the airbrush is concerned, it works well so far but we'll see how it goes when I try to seal a big Obitsu head. 

6 comments:

  1. Eyebrows are super hard for me too, I never get them even and I've had to wipe out face ups before because of them haha. What I find it helps me bit is to do the eyebrows shape with the same pastel color I'm using as blushing first. It doesn't show much so you can make more mistakes without making a mess and then once you put the hair color on top it gives it a bit more depth imo.

    I think the second face here has very even eyebrows and the lips blush color is really nice too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I tried doing that but I used the wrong brush size on the girl head which is probably why she has two different size eyebrows! I am much happier with the boys face but I've since gone over with a light darker blush colour and added more colours to the eyebrow hair to give it more definition.

      It's funny but I was most anxious about the painting the boy's face but it turned out the girl's face is the one giving me problems!

      I'm actually finished with the boy now. Just have to seal him one last time and add gloss to his lips. I really need a well ventilated room because going outside all the time and having to set up the airbrush stuff is getting a bit exhausting!

      Now I just have to pick one of the MH girls to paint because I want to see if there's a difference in plastic with those compared to the Bratz boy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alasse,
    They say practice makes perfect, and you're getting there. Have you looked at Xhanthi's http://jointedlove.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/basic-eyebrow-painting-guide.html it may help you. She explains things well and has lots of pics.

    I think you are doing a grand job so far. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot about that post by Xhanthi. Thanks for the reminder. I'll go over and have a read and bookmark it. I have to say, I don't mind the practice no matter how long it takes. I'm finding I am really enjoying the whole process.

      Thank you. I am learning a lot. There are flaws of course but hopefully I can improve on the flaws with each attempt.

      Delete
  3. Great work so far! The eyes on the Bratz boy look like they've got potential!

    I agree with the above comment (by Fantasywoods) about doing a pastel shape of the eye brows first, but I also think it's really hard to get them even. But then again real eye brows are not 100% symmetrical either, so I don't mind if they're slightly off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh those eyes gave me so much trouble. It took me a few hours just to get them right. I'm happy with the result (I've since finished the boy's face). But I forced myself to take my time with it and not rush things.

      You are completely right. Our faces aren't 100% symmetrical anyway. What I love about these dolls is the guidelines sculpted into the face. It helps me with eye placement because when I draw, I sometimes have non-symmetrical eyes.

      I have to admit though, painting vinyl is so very different to what I remember of my first attempts a few years back of painting resin. But it's fun learning. I've wanted to do this sort of thing for ages now but always psyched myself out of trying so I'm glad I forced myself just to go ahead and see what happens.

      Delete