Saturday, 23 July 2016

Lara: A Work In Progress

This update is technically from last weekend as I took these photos then. I would have loved to have started work on the final product this weekend but on Thursday morning, I twisted my back the wrong way so have been resting it as it will take three weeks to completely heal. On the positive side, this means I can finally catch up on some of my K-Dramas that I've been missing since I started working!


This is the prototype for Lara's top before I did the hemming on it. This was probably my fifth prototype attempt and  I am much happier with this. There still needs to be some slight tweaking on the final product but overall, I'm happy.



Lara shows off some awesome dance moves.

A few hours later ...


After I hemmed the shirt, it is looking much more like Lara's shirt from the first game. My stitches are still a bit wonky but as it's the prototype, I'm not too worried. And the fabric is a lot lighter than the one I will actually be using (and which I still need to prewash first). But the style is the one I've been working towards. As I handsew all my doll clothing, it always takes forever. My machine likes to eat tiny pieces of fabric so I never tend to use it.

In other news, Deirdre's body arrived Wednesday, a month earlier than expected! I didn't take any box opening photos sadly (I quickly opened the box before work to check the body was okay). It's a gorgeous body but as suspected is not an exact match with her head. If her head was brand new, I think it would have been fine but it was weird to see that her head had yellowed a lot more than I thought. Given I had kept it in a tightly sealed box in a dark drawer, I was a bit surprised by this but it works well enough. Hubby seems to think it looks fine. Poor Deirdre. She's never had much luck with hybriding. When she first arrived, her head was too white for the yellowed AOD body I had and now she's a tad yellowed for the white body I have!

Now that Deirdre is back in one piece, she will once again take her rightful place as my medieval lady. I came across this website which I will use to research how to make some simple medieval garments. I've always wanted a doll dressed like this and it's always been Deirdre that I see wearing these clothes.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful doll filled weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I love seeing thing kind of project as they progress. This is such a great concept/idea, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she becomes Lara. :)

    And have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can do Lara justice! It's a slow going project. It's funny when we have a lot of time, we do other things but when suddenly we have not a lot of time, we want to do projects that take a while to do! At least that's been my case!

      Delete
  2. Lara is looking fab!! the prototype is really nice, and your stitches look great!
    Hope your back heals soon!! 3 weeks sounds like a lot, but time flies~

    Can't wait to see Deirdre with her new body. There's not much we can do to avoid yellowing, all my dolls are kept in the closet in boxes, but they still yellow, sometimes faster than I wish too! That's why I will display them as soon as I get space, because no matter what you do, they will yellow. Lucky for us, they don't get as yellow as butter, but I must admit I prefer the peachier tones.
    Those medieval patterns look nice!! Hope you will share some WIPS :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The stitches aren't as straight as I want but I guess practice makes perfect ... hopefully!

      At least I can still move around and the doc doesn't want me immobile I just have to be careful and not twist my body when I move!

      I guess keeping them in a dark drawer slows down the yellowing a bit but doesn't entirely stop it. I read somewhere that once resin is exposed to air, it's already started the yellowing process and I guess white skin dolls seem to take to yellowing the fastest. At least in my experience. And you kind of never realise until you get a brand new doll in and you compare the two colours.

      The new body actually fits her neck hole better than the AOD body!

      I will be sure to share some WIPs if I can get any decent dresses done. Eventually I'd love to try and make Eowyn's outfit from LOTR, the white one when we're first introduced to her character in the movie and she's standing at the landing at the to of the stairs to the entrance to the castle.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alasse,
    I do hope you feel better soon. One good thing has come out of it at least, you now have some time to sew and it's coming along nicely. :)

    Not much you can do about the yellowing, it happens no matter what you do, one learns to embrace it in time. Like Alejandra, I have my dolls out where I can see and play with them, no point in keeping them in boxes.

    I shall look forward to seeing more of your sewing.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu. I just have to take it easy which is good. Still working though just being careful not to lift anything heavy or twist the wrong way!

      I'm going to really try sewing more. I want more outfits that are a bit out there and mix 'n' match but can't seem to find them premade so I guess I will just have to try and do it myself and swallow my impatience!

      I have my dolls displayed too except for the floating heads. Mostly because I still haven't figured out a good way to display them that makes them look more artsy and less "just a head".

      Delete
  4. Lara is looking great so far :3 The first game was always my favorite one (and I also loved the anniversary remake of it) ~ so I am very excited to see the final version of the outfit! Would you consider doing optional outfits from number 2 and 3 as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to play the anniversary remake of the first game. I actually have the game but just haven't got around to playing it yet. My "to play" game pile is pretty big right now. I have several on the PC that I need to get through and three on the 3DS. Just never enough time in the day!

      I have actually got pictures of her outfits from the other games so it's a possibility. I rather like the outfit from number 2 and 3. Did you see there is apparently a reboot of the film to be released in 2018?

      Delete