Happy Sunday!
I hope everyone has been enjoying their weekend. For me, it's been too short and too busy. I haven't managed to get half the things I wanted to do with my dolls done at all. I did make some cupcakes though. Vanilla with frosting and strawberries. These tasted quite light and delicious.
I did manage to do the first prototype for Lara's top.
It didn't turn out the way I wanted as I didn't use a pattern. I just kind of traced around her and tried to make a simple shirt pattern from just doing that. Back to the drawing board. This is why I tend not to like sewing very much. Other people make it look so easy! At least the colour is not bad for her. It could be a touch brighter though but I think this can suffice.
I was taking some photos of MYD Heeah today and thought I'd take a random photo of her looking quite like the lady of the house. As much as I love the feel of Monique wigs, they drive me up the wall. They are instant flyaway wigs and hard to tame so I'm definitely looking into getting something else in the same colour for her.
And last but not least, I tried out a tutorial and pattern by MyFroggyStuff and was so pleased that I actually made something that worked out so today wasn't a total waste! She looks like she adores that shopping bag or is it more what's inside?
Also bought some patterns from Etsy so hopefully I can figure them out and start making some Barbie clothes finally.
I'm getting a craft room all to my self! This means I will be able to have dioramas on display and section off an area for doll photos as well as do my sewing and doll crafts. Not sure how long it will take to get the room ready. I need to pull out the old carpet in there and have the floors polished, paint a feature colour on one of the walls and then move in shelves and furniture for doll stuff. I can't wait!




I thought your house renovations would be done by now, but if you are having a room for your dolls and crafts then that is amazing!!! And renovations are so much fun :D! At least planning haha My dream is to have a room for my dolls and crafts as well, with enough light for photos and a big working space.
ReplyDeleteI wish there were more magazine or etsy shops that would sell patterns. I've found quite a few, but most of the time they are not the size I need them to be. And I'm so useless sewing that adjusting a pattern won't work xD I imagine there's quite a lot for barbies though? Barbies have been around forever.
The paper bag is very nice!!! And since you already have the pattern, you can make all kinds of designs over the bag so your barbies can go on a shopping spree~ so fun!
Now that Lara is looking more like Lara, I can see why you won't re do the face, it looks very nice for her!! I don't dislike the top you made, it is not a fully tank top like Lara uses in the first games at least, but it works for a nice top. And the color is nice on her.
Your Heeah is looking lovely. It's so hard to find back long wigs with no bangs, but I think For my doll has this style in their pre order section and you can choose from many colors, including black (found it http://formydoll.com/shop/step1.php?number=368&b_code=B20061201033455). But if you want less flyaways, maybe you should try a custom alpaca wig? or try a wig styling wax.
Oh there are still some little things still to do but the major work is done. The doll craft room is the next house renovation, well the doll craft room and my husband's Star Wars display room. It will be nice to have room to have dioramas that remain set up and ready for photo opportunities.
DeleteThere is a lot of patterns for Barbie which is great. There even already patterns for curvy Barbie which is pretty neat to see!
I wish I had a colour printer though because I could add colourful designs to the bag but I currently only have a good black and white printer only.
I bombed out on the second prototype too sadly so I'm hoping I have more success with the third prototype. You've already seen the new fabric I got but I will leave that fabric until I have a successful prototype and not use it straight away.
Thanks for that link! The wig looks quite nice. FMD wigs are pretty good. I've had some in the past and they didn't really have a lot of flyaway issues. Alpaca wig sounds like it would be great to try and do ... if only Alpaca wasn't so darn pricey!
Hi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteYou shouldn't be so hard on yourself, and think of the "mistakes" as learning curves. I often make one up and if it's not how I like it, I use it as a guide for the next one, making any adjustments that I thought the first needed. You will find you will get better at the drape and cut with each one you do.
I know what you mean about Monique wigs, but they are so super soft and nice to touch. I just use a fine mist spray of water to tame mine now, it really does help.
My Froggy has some great crafting stuff and your bag turned out so well. I can see you making more of them and all your Fashionistas traipsing off to the clothing boutiques. :)
I hope you will post pics of your dolly room when it's all complete.
Hugs,
X
P.S. I didn't mention the yummy cupcakes, I am avoiding food this week. LOL!
I hope so! Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I think sewing just gets me so frustrated easily especially when it doesn't turn out. Because I hand sew most of the doll clothes, I feel like I wasted a heap of time and that frustrates me too. It's a vicious circle.
DeleteI've tried wetting the Monique wigs that I have but once it drys. it's even worse so I've stopped doing that.
The bags are so addictive to make. I plan to make a few more. One of my girls is a bit of a shop-a-holic so I'm sure she'll appreciate having so many bags! I want to try a lot more from MyFroggyStuff. I like that she upcycles things from around the house to make her props which is so neat.
I will definitely post pics of the completed doll room although that might be a while!
Why are you avoiding food? The cupcakes were delish! It really needed the tartness from the strawberries to cut through the sweet vanilla frosting.
Gorgeous food as always, I'm sure the cupcakes were as yummy as they look in the pic! :3
ReplyDeleteI love what you're doing with sewing and I agree! It's not that easy ;_;
Heeah looks sooo gorgeous in that picture and I agree about those monique wigs, though they look very natural also!
Oh yes they were. I want to try to make more except the gluten free version.
DeleteIt's funny because in theory, I can see how to make this shirt but putting it into practice is something else entirely!
Monique wigs are lovely and soft just wish they weren't so hard to maintain.