Friday, 4 November 2016

An Abundance of Purple

There should be a nacramo (National craft month). Every year, I have good intentions of doing Nanowrimo but when November comes around, I just struggle to commit. There's always something else I need to do instead, like craft stuff!

Anyone doing Nanowrimo this year and how's your progress coming along?

Today, I wanted to post about Purple Top (I think her official name is Lea). I have quite a few of this particular face sculpt and I've been slowly tweaking their appearances so they look slightly different from each other. Right now, the count is at six with a spare head (in case something happens to one of the current heads). Only three of these have Made to Move bodies. Two have fashionista bodies and one has a partly articulated body (her arms are articulated but her legs are not).

I've been thinking about their story and I decided they are all alternate versions of the same person, the original being Zoe ( I posted about her last week). The rest of them are what she would have become due to circumstances and decisions she's made along the way. In other words, they are shadows of the original.


We'll start with Cleo. I haven't done her outfit yet but expect a lot of black, brown and greys. She's from a world where science and magic exist side by side. She's also the only one of the shadows who is able to shift between the different realities.

I gave Cleo a re-root that is more in line with her character. I also enhanced her face with some light dusting of pastels.


Using liquidtex matte medium with a brush, I brushed onto the areas I wanted the pastel to adhere to, added the pastels then sealed with liquidtex matte varnish using the brush on method. I don't mind the results.


Next up is Meredith. All I know is that she's a fashion model and a fairly well known one. She's successful and seems to have it all. There's always a "but" in there somewhere.




Then there's Sabine who is a bit of a bookworm. She owns and runs a tiny little book store called, "Reads". She's got a fairly active imagination and enjoys the type of magic books can bring into her life. Her favourite story of all time is 'The Neverending Story'. She's a kid at heart.



And finally, we have Vivian. Polished shopaholic who likes to keep up with current fashion trends. She works for a fashion magazine, "NOW" and has a column of the latest trends in the fashion world.



The three girls together. Different as night and day although I think Meredith and Vivian have closer interests and personalities than they do with Sabine.

I also started on a re-root for currently nameless Purple Top.


The front and lower back sections are done but I still have the middle parts to do. I tried to make a wig for her but it didn't turn out so well so I decided to just go ahead and re-root her. I don't mind the colour combinations on this. Her backstory is a blank slate to me right now. Maybe once she's done it'll come to me along with a name!


10 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing your crafting process and I agree, there should be a crafting month! XD!!!
    I have sadly not touched my novel despite best intentions of wanting to finish it this month ;_; hope I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I could come up with something to make every day! Or even work on a big project that you make progress on each day and finish by the end of November!

      I think it's hard when you work to fully commit to Nanowrimo too. Last time I was able to do it, I think I was on holidays for a month or something, it was quite a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. I would fail at craft month if there was one, but it would be nice to at least try it hahaha.
    Loving this whole shadows idea, so many things that could change one's life and makes us go ina total different direction. Can't choose a favorite. but loving Sabine's name! I think I always tend to go for the geeky girls the most? haha

    That blue hair reroot is looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craft month would be awesome. I've been getting a lot more crafty lately and have been feeling like making tiny things. I have this love for miniatures. Recently bought a book of things you can make in miniature!

      Me too, geeky for the win! I got to thinking about what if I had not gone out that one night, the night I met my husband. Where would I have been now? Would I have still met him later? And this train of thought bought up a bunch of what ifs and I thought it'd be neat to explore this idea with all the Zoes (Purple Top Lea). What if her family situation changed, her parents divorced/died/were business tycoons etc. How would that have changed her life? What if she was at the right place at the right time and got scouted for a small modelling job? That was the day she was supposed to be at a club event but got sick and ended up staying up so she never became a fashion model ... it's interesting to explore the different directions one person's life could have taken them.

      The re-root is taking forever but it's totally worth it. I like it because you can have whatever colour you want for your doll. Watching tv shows helps make the time go faster while re-rooting.

      Delete
  3. I would love to have a craft month, but as Alejandra, I would totally fail at it. Not because I do not know how to craft, but there is always something else that comes in the way. 'Real life', for example. Even if crafting can be a part of it, well - I think that you know what I mean. There is not enough time, sadly. Need to use the break sometimes and slow down.

    I love your girls, they look so happy and chic, especially Vivian. :)

    And the re-roots - nice work! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean, it would be nice just to be able to do nothing but craft but there isn't enough time in the day for everything! I sometimes just want to chill out and catch up on some K-Dramas in my downtime.

      I'm almost finished the re-root, just a small section left to do and then she'll be done.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the craft month Alasse...as long as we knew well beforehand when it was going to be. :)

    Interesting story line you have come up with for these dolls, but I'm not sure I'd want to go down the route of "what if's", I'm afraid it might make take me somewhere I didn't want to be. Still I would enjoy reading about your girls.

    Love the colours chosen for the re-root, but then they are fantasy colours after all, so what else could you expect from me. LOL!
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad I could use these colours for the re-root. It's so time consuming but it's also repetitive work so you don't really need to think too much about it which is nice because it means I can just chill out.

      I often wonder about the what ifs in life. It'll be nice to explore that with the dolls.

      Delete
  5. I'm not surprised of abundance - this doll is the best from MTM Barbie series in my opinion. I like Sabine's red lips, Meredith's short hair and Cleo's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. She has such a lovely face sculpt and I love how very different she can look depending on how you style her.

      Delete