Saturday, 31 December 2016

Happy New Year ~ 2017 Plans ~ Experiments

It's New Year's Eve and I still can't wrap my head around the fact tomorrow will be the first day of a brand new year. 2016 has been such a whirlwind of activity for me. I had a long lull then after I got the new job, I got suddenly busy. It's almost as if my motivation came back and I went into full gear again. Which is nice. Instead of 'goals', I opted to go with plans for the coming year.

In no particular order;
* More customisation, practice, practice practice
* Finish Shiva and Lara Croft
* Create more dioramas
* Start learning how to sew medieval dresses for the dolls
* Try to use acrylic more in my face ups
* Attempt to paint Barbie faces (Yikes, so small!)
* Paint the DF practice head I still have blank
* Paint the extra Obitsu head I have
* Try and upgrade my camera


HAPPY NEW YEAR! BEST WISHES FOR 2017! 
Thank you everyone for all your support, encouragement and kindness throughout 2016. 



And just because I wanted to include some photos to end the year with ... my very first FR girl, Victoria. I won the right to buy her in a lottery. She has a special place in my heart.





Below is a quick snap of an experiment I've been plodding away at using liquitex medium and matte varnish as a sealant by applying with a make up sponge. I then used watercolour pencils and pastels.


It seems like this method does not provide as much tooth as spraying with an airbrush. Watercolour pencils don't appear as vibrant and I need many layers of pencil colour. I may go over with acrylic. Sealing between layers also appears to lift some of the pastels and watercolour pencils, not a lot but it does make things go much slower. It also makes the face a bit shinier.

The head isn't anywhere near finished so it's a work in progress.

Hopefully I can do some sealant spraying in the coming weeks and practice on more heads.

That's it for 2016. See you in the New Year!

Enjoy your New Year's Eve whatever you decide to do!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! Happy New Year, keep it up with all the plans :3 I'm loving your progress and it's interesting to read about your new discoveries along the way. ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! I just wish I could finish some of the plans I've already started! I will get there eventually though. I like experimenting. Not everyone can afford a proper airbrush so it's always nice to have alternatives.

      Delete
  2. That head is looking really nice!!! It seems the best way will stay being the airbrush for liquid sealants, but it's always good to experiment a bit to know what suit us.

    You have some great plans for 2017, we have a few in common too, that's cool :D!

    I wish you the very best for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the airbrush method for liquid sealers has a much better result overall. I just hope I can still get more of the sealer I like. I haven't tried liquitex through the airbrush yet but I really love using Vallejo. I really like the tooth it gives the dolls and it works really nice on vinyl dolls. I may even try and get a proper airbrush later in the year. I was thinking I'd like to learn to paint with an airbrush. I haven't painted anything in years and I've been feeling the urge to do some paintings to hang around the house.

      Happy New Year to you! I'm sending the best wishes for you for 2017. May we both complete our plans! I am looking forward to practicing more face ups on the vinyl dolls and start on resin. I haven't painted on resin since 2011! That will be interesting.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing how your 2017 projects play out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year jSarie! I hope to actually complete some things this year. That's the plan anyway! Hope 2017 is already panning out well for you. (It's the first day of January here today!)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year and good luck with the plans for 2017!

    The head is looking lovely. I know that pencils can be a bit difficult and need several layers. But it makes a different and matted look. In some way I really like it.

    And Victoria looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you! Hope 2017 is going to be filled to the brim with a lot of good things for you.

      Thank you. I've cut off her hair since this photo. I think I will end up making her a wig if she ends up getting a body. Sometimes though, I find the pencil faces a bit hard to photograph. I really wish they had acrylic pens or something. Painting small scale is so tricky.

      I kind of regret not keeping Victoria's hair as she came. I tried to replicate it again but I don't think it's sitting the same. Ack. Live and learn right?

      Delete