One of my spare Purple top heads was the victim. I followed the tutorial step by step. Except I also repainted her eyebrows to match her hair.
I thought she turned out not bad. I'm still not really confident with "drawing" with acrylic paint (at this scale) but I think that's something I'll become more comfortable with the more I do it (I hope!). I have a few more heads I want to practice on with this method tomorrow.
I've also been removing MH hair again. That glue they use inside the head is a nightmare. The Purple Top in the photos above is starting to have the leaking glue problem too so I'll probably have to remove her hair eventually.
I decided to remove Rochelle's face as well seeing as I was removing her greasy hair. It had some weird glitter thing that I didn't particularly like. Once it was removed, I really found how much I like the detailing on this face sculpt. MH dolls look so nice blank in my opinion. I plan to spray her body and wings too and do some paintwork on them. I really want to try tattoos on her.
Still not sure what I will do for her face. I think it will just come to me when I start on it.




Omg, do Purtple Tops have the leaking glue problem?! Mattel, why?
ReplyDeleteI like her natural lips. The eyes look very shining.
I would be a little scared of somebody with so dark hair and eyebrows and so light eyes ;-)
But I also know that it is not easy to change the color of lips in this scale, so new eyes seem to be very hard to paint.
I've bought about 6 Purple Top dolls and so far, only 2 of those have had the leaking glue issue. One of the others I removed her hair had no glue at all inside so it seems to be all over the place! This one is getting bad as I can actually see where the hair looks kind of constantly "wet" near her scalp and greasy.
DeleteThis scale is so tiny. I wasn't sure if my hands would be steady enough to repaint that eye colour but I was also using a really really tiny brush so that helped a lot.
You did a great job on your made to move barbie. I think that covering the already painted face with something else is a great idea for practice and even to make just small changes in a face.
ReplyDeleteI'm really surprised at how small her eyes are and how much more detailed are monster high dolls, no wonder everyone seems to do MH repaints!
I'm finding it a lot of fun to practice on such a small scale. It's nerve wrecking though as lines have to be super small. Eventually I'll make similar changes on the other dolls but at the moment, I'm just using the spare practice heads so I don't feel as much pressure.
DeleteEvery MH face sculpt seems to be different. I noticed my Ghoulia doesn't have as defined eye shape as Rochelle does. So it certainly varies. I do like that their scale is a lot easier to work with than Barbie. They're a fair bit bigger in head size (they can wear a 5-6 inch wig but it can be slightly loose but won't instantly fall off. I usually have a silicone wig cap or a material wig cap underneath my MH girls wearing this size wig to make the fit better.)
I love how expressive MH faces are.
Wow, it seems these companies need to work on their QC a bit more xO
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great work improving on them though~ :D MH sculpts are so great, and I've seen some amazing customs!
I think the dolls are made in different countries or so I've read and aren't made all at the same place so there's often variation of the factory face as well as how much glue is inside the head. Some haven't had any at all and others have so much, it practically leaks out straight away and greases their entire hair.
DeleteThe MH head size I think make it easier to do repaints. They're pretty on par I think with Bratz in terms of head size, maybe slightly smaller but not by much. They're good little dolls to practice painting on vinyl with. Not so small as Barbie so it makes painting on the face easier to deal with.
Sometimes I just get so excited over small things - and this is one. Just with those simple things you can change a doll. I always thought that I have to cleans all of the paint before starting. Great job done by you!
ReplyDeleteAgree with you, that the glue inside a MH head is really a nightmare. And with my carpal tunnel, it is no fun at all. But when done, it is a good feeling.
I like being able to do these little enhancements as some of the factory faces are actually quite nice but sometimes I just want a different colour of the eyes and lips and maybe a touch more blush or add some small freckles so these types of enhancements are great as you're just building on what's already there and you're still changing the doll enough that it usually ends up looking like a new doll.
DeleteThe MH dolls are driving me insane. When I think I've got all the ones with the greased up hair, another doll shows up with the same problem. Some of them, the hair is easier to remove than others. And the glue just sticks to my fingers and takes forever to remove.
By the looks of things you are really enjoying all the experimentation and re-rooting Alasse. Those eyebrows are really very fashionable right now, and they look great. Is it the heat and/or humidity where you live that effects the glue or does that happen to all those dolls? I don't own any so I didn't know about this. As Irene mentioned it's not good QC at all.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
X
Well, I thought about that, whether it is because of how hot and humid it is up here but I keep my dolls downstairs where it's a lot cooler in summer than upstairs so I'm not sure. However, there have been some dolls I have bought and right out of the package, their hair was so greasy and the glue had already leaked out and through the hair (Haunted Draculaura was one of these culprits) so I think it's more to do with the type of glue they are using and how much of it they are putting inside the head. When I pull the offending hair out, the amount of glue to hair ratio is quite shocking on some of them, more glue than hair! Ick!
DeleteI'm glad her eyebrows looked okay. I just followed the factory printed eyebrows but had a slight hiccup with one of the eyebrows (shaky hands). Next time, I think I might try to wipe those eyebrows and repaint from scratch. But I'm finding it hard to paint with acrylic, even when using the tiniest brush I had (ordered from Japan and used on those small scale warhammer type figures to paint the faces). I think I have too much paint on it and it clumps but when I blot the paint, I don't have enough and it doesn't flow onto the vinyl properly. I wish I knew how other people make such fine lines with their brush and acrylic paints!