Monday, 27 February 2017

Character Spotlight: Elyse Snow

The former Empress of Persephone, Elyse Snow is a very independent and capable woman with a spine of steel. Her piercing blue eyes have intimidated more than one sycophant with its ability to cut through pretense at the royal court.


But there was a side to her she kept to herself, shown only to her daughters in private moments. That of a mother who loved her children. Her warmth and kindness towards them was a stark contrast to the face she showed the rest of Persephone.



Her marriage to Dominic Snow was one of convenience, bonding two powerful houses in a union that built and powered an Empire. She had always known, from the age of thirteen, who her parents had promised her to. A dutiful daughter, she never allowed herself a moment of true love closing her heart to bring about the peace she had dreamed of for Persephone.


The fairytale she had been made to believe turned out to be a lie. Her Prince Charming a man of selfish whims and political machinations. Her hope that she would grow to love her husband faded as she was shown his true colours behind closed doors.

But for their daughters, she would have left his side long ago. Try as she might, she could not stop Lillian from following her father's footsteps. Their firstborn admired the Emperor and sat at his feet drinking in his presence and influence. Lillian came to resent her own mother and bore her nothing but coldness. Elyse turned her attention to her adopted daughter, Alexia, hoping that the girl's softer, more gentle disposition would be a good influence on Lillian.


Before she could complete her mission to turn aside the Emperor's tyranny over Persephone's people, she was discovered to have ties with the Rebellion and exiled. Her daughters were to remain with the Emperor and she was forbidden all contact.

Only three months after her exile, news came that the Emperor was to remarry. A woman from one of the richest and most prominent Southern Houses. Little surprised Elyse and the news proved no exception.

She remains hidden on the Outer Rim, aided by the Rebellion, particularly its leader whose friendship she has come to depend on in her darkest hours...

~ E X C E R P T ~

When it came, the knock on her door was forceful and sharp. She knew before the handle turned who it would be.
"I brought you something." Jordan handed her the envelope.
"What is it?"
"Why don't you open it?" Jordan challenged.
Elyse tore open the paper. Inside was a clear disk, small enough to fit in the palm of her hand.
"Message from your daughter."
She felt the smile tug at her lips. "From Alexia? How did you ....?"
Jordan gave a nonchalant shrug. "If I told you that, then I'd have to kill you." 
"Thank you Jordan."
"Well, when we make you Empress again, you can thank me by making Persephone a free country."
"Deal." she turned away from her friend and sought out the computer at her workstation. She wanted to savour her daughter's voice. The only daughter who still thought of her as a mother.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my!! this was awesome!! I want more :D!! She really truly looks her part~ Best read I've had in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks for the kind words! It's nice to get back into writing. I really get sidetracked these days and don't do enough of it.

      Delete
  2. So cool! I love her stern expression. For some reason her situation reminded me a bit of Catherine the Great's story? :D

    I'd love to read more tidbits from your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google Catherine the Great. A lot of my stories seem to revolve around Monarchies. I went through a phase where a lot of the fantasy stories I was reading were all political machinations.

      I hope I can showcase some but writing is going a lot slower these days for me. I seem to be getting heavily back into my art again.

      Delete
  3. This was great and captivating! Keep on writing! :)

    ReplyDelete