She was a special portrait edition Queen Amidala which my husband hunted down and surprised me with for Christmas back in 2000. The doll itself was released in 1999. There weren't many special portrait editions released. I only know of one other, in the senate gown but I was sure there was also one in the ceremonial gown which is near impossible to find.
She had been displayed in her box for quite a number of years to retain her value however, about two years after I started collecting resin dolls (2011), I decided to take her out of her box because I had zero intention of ever selling her and it seemed a bit sad to see her cooped up in her small box so I naturally de-boxed her and she now stands proudly in my display cabinet.
I loved the costumes found in Episodes 1-3 even if the movies themselves weren't really the best. Especially Queen Amidala's elaborate outfits. This particular one was one of my absolute favourites along with the ceremonial gown.
Click on this trio image for a larger version.
I adore the detailing and colours and the design. Love the headdress quite a bit. I also love the two big sides on the headdress which remind me of Princess Leia's buns.
I believe these dolls were made by Hasbro but weren't insanely popular as they discontinued the line. I do have the other dolls, the non special edition ones and they're okay but I feel Hasbro put so much more detailing in these special portrait ones and the material itself is quite lovely.
As far as articulation, not much. The legs kind of bend like the old barbies and she can sit and I haven't tried but believe her arms go up and down but that's it. I'm not worried as this is a display doll and I display her on her stand so you can see that gorgeous dress.
To wrap up the post, I wanted to showcase another bedspread I have finished sewing and it was so perfect for today's post too.
Happy May 4th and May the Force be with you!







That's a very neat collection doll!! So very detailed~ Keeping dolls in boxes is overrated :P! It's much more interesting to have them out for anyone to see!
ReplyDeleteHappy may 4th!!! Love the blanket!
It took me forever because I mostly just handsew everything these dolls. I could have sewed the blanket on the machine and it would have been faster but then I wouldn't have been able to re-watch Stargate whilst I was handsewing this!
DeleteShe's my favourite of the Star Wars dolls. I wish they had done more of Queen Amidala. She had such fantastic costumes.
She's looking quite lovely Alasse. I hadn't seen this doll before, but then I haven't really looked for Star Wars dolls, so I guess that's not a surprise. LOL! Quilt looks great, quite masculine so I am wondering what you have in mind . . . another different room?
ReplyDeleteHugs,
X
I always love the costuming for Star Wars, it's always a mix of medieval/fantasy and sci-fi. More like a room fit for a Star Wars geek I think. It's probably going to be Zoe's new room as she's my "nerdy" girl who loves Star Wars, Doctor Who and Star Trek.
DeleteThose costumes in Star Wars is just something else, especially when it comes to Queen Amidala - could not agree more there! And this doll is a beauty, even if most of those special dolls are just for display. I can feel that my Beatrix Potter Barbie is one of those dolls, just for display. Arms go up and down and the legs do not bend so much.
ReplyDeleteLove the blanket, would not say no the owning one myself, haha!
And who wants to keep dolls in a box? :D
I would love to do a host of dolls dressed in all her outfits. Shame I have nowhere near the skills it would take to sew anything so elaborate!
DeleteDisplay dolls are great. I honestly don't mind them because I rarely take them out of their original outfits. They stay in them and get displayed like that, no fuss, no hassle.
Human size blanket or doll size? Don't worry, I've been eyeballing a few of the Star Wars ones I see in the shops up here although they only seem to ever have it for either Single or Double beds and not King size. Adults can love Star War bedspreads too!
I always have a need to 'play' with dolls so I have a hard time keeping them in their box! At least since I started collecting the resin dolls. That started it all. Before that, most of the dolls I bought stayed in their boxes.
Omg Queen Amidala! I believe she was actually the reason me and my friends loved SW E01 back in the day! We adored all of her costume designs very much x3
ReplyDeleteWhat a great doll to have, and a lovely bedspread to match this day also xD!!
She had such elaborate and detailed costumes. I think I actually have a book that has all her costumes in it. There were a few favourites and some not so favourite!
DeleteI do like the contrast between the costumes in those first three movies compared to the current episodes.