Thursday, 16 November 2017

Why do we collect?

A small break from the regular schedule of dolls ...


Last night, I was randomly browsing Youtube (as you do) and I came across a video on collecting filmed and made by a bunch of Australian collectors.

Collect-A-Mania - 2016 Documentary by Stepping Stone Productions

I wanted to share this video as I found it interesting. A lot of the reasons people gave for collecting I found myself nodding to and I guess in some way, it makes this whole business of collecting so much less lonely to know there are people out there who understand. Especially when there are people in our lives who look at us as if we've grown another head just because we collect what they see as "toys".

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alasse,
    Thanks for posting the link, it was really interesting to see the different collections and learn about their particular reasons for collecting and I am glad he included some grannies with their teddies, porcelain dolls and pretty china. I also liked the guys comments at the end of the film, and I guess we are some, maybe even all of those things ourselves. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know there are people out there who understand what collecting is all about. I've actually had someone say that me collecting dolls is a form of hoarding even though all my dolls are display in glass cabinets like art pieces. It's crazy what some people come up with.

      Delete
  2. There is always a joy in collecting - what ever it may be you are interested in. And then there is an excitement in searching, hunting and at some times even bidding at auctions for a item. The sad part in this is that things like magazines, books, posters, crockery/china and art is seen as something that is okay, because these things are not seen as toys.
    I liked the lady Faye Pereira, who collects dolls and antiques, she even had those old versions of Sonny Angels, Kewpie! And Neil Taylor sure had a lot of dolls! Amazing!
    Thanks for sharing this video, it was fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a bit unfair doesn't it that some things would be considered a collecting hobby whilst others aren't. I think sometimes, the searching is the most addictive part of the hobby!

      Delete