1. How old are you?
A lady never kisses and tells. Suffice to say I have been an adult for quite some time now.
2. What was your first BJD?
Doll Family Lyre, 2009
A beautiful white skinned Doll Family Lyre (now discontinued). He was my first and only doll for about six months. I always adored how his resin skin tone always looked like it seemed to glow in my photos of him. I loved everything about him. I miss him and regret that I had his eyes modded. I guess I was still exploring the type of aesthetic that I liked in my dolls back in those early days.
3. When did you join the hobby?
Officially, in 2009 when I ordered my first bjd. I had an interest in them from 2006 though however I wasn't earning nearly enough money to afford one for several years. Which made my first bjd the more sweeter for having waited so long for him.
4. What is your grail doll?
This is a word I've been debating over for the past year. It means different things to different people. I guess to me, it means an elusive doll which means I don't actually have a grail doll. I have had dolls that I wanted but thinking about it, I don't believe they were my grail doll. I had thought my DS Saint was but he wasn't really elusive for me so I guess in short, I've never truly had a grail doll. Huh.
5. What is your dolls clothing style?
I think it varies depending mostly on the doll. I don't plan the styles in advance. I tend to just wing the styles and they rarely stay the same. I change it up every now and then just to freshen things up a bit. I also like to mix and match a lot. So they don't really have any one particular style. They're like the wind, you never know when it's going to change directions.
6. What do your loved ones think of the hobby?
My husband is supportive but then he's also a collector (of Star Wars) so he kinda understands. My Dad thinks it's silly and my sister thinks its creepy and my brother doesn't have an opinion on it. The in-laws find it a bit strange but they're overall supportive of it.
7. Are you open about your hobby?
Absolutely. Even my work colleagues know about it. I actually took one of my SD boys in to show them what type of dolls I collect once. Most were pretty interested as it was something they had never heard of. A few thought it was weird but that's more to do with them than with me.
8. Do you have a preference for boy dolls, girl dolls etc.?
Not intentionally. Although I have noticed my yo-sd crew seem to be mostly girls.
9. Do you have a size preference?
Not really. I used to think I should just stick to dolls MSD and smaller for the convenience but then I look at my SDs and find myself stunned by them again so they end up staying.
10. How do your pets react to your dolls?
Indifferently. They might have a sniff at them but they generally just ignore them.
11. What would you do if your spouse, friend or family member disapproved of your dolls?
Nothing. They're free to approve or disapprove and I'm free to ignore them.
12. Emergency! Do you have a plan for your dolls?
No. My dolls are all insured so I'm not really too worried. Although it would be a shame to lose the ones with custom face ups as they can't ever be reproduced. If an emergency happened, I would grab my husband and my cats and go. Dolls can always be replaced, pets and my husband can't.
13. How do you feel about dolls as gifts?
As long as it was given genuinely and without an ulterior motive but for the simple joy of giving and making someone's life a little bit brighter, then I say go for it.
14. Do you write stories for your dolls?
Made with Sims 3: Scene from photo story 'Alice'
Yes I do. Initially I wanted my dolls to be from my fantasy stories but that proved a little difficult due to lack of available clothing or high end pricing outside of my budget. I'm currently doing a bit of an overhaul of my doll profiles and will only have one or two dolls with fantasy themes with the rest spread out and taking on the characters from my Sim stories. These are a variety of genres which will pair nicely with the dolls.
15. What is your favourite sculpt?
Dollzone Cosmo
I had to really think about this one. It has to be my Dollzone Cosmo. He's never really had a body of his own which is a shame but purely because when I purchased him, I couldn't afford the whole doll so I ended up just getting his head. He has a different face up now but the photo is when I first got him with his default face up. There's just something about this face that has always appealed to me. He's even older than my AOD Qian so I've had him the longest of all my dolls.
16. What is your favourite company?
I don't really have one. I own and purchase from a wide range of companies.
17. What is your most expensive doll?
My Bimong Chuu. She may be little but I purchased her when the AUD was not doing so well so she cost the most after conversion for me. Although she has been out trumped by the current doll I have on order (mystery doll) who I suppose now is my most expensive doll.
18. What is your least expensive doll?
That would be my AquariusDoll Fairy 16 Jesse. I purchased her during a Christmas sale event.
19. What is your favourite doll?
Angel of Dream Qian
My AOD Qian. I really love both her character and her lovely face.
20. What are your other hobbies?
My doll photo flip booklet that I made
- I collect other types of dolls (Pullip, Silkstone Barbie, Barbie Reproduction, Superhero Dolls, Fashion Royalty.)
- I collect figures (Figma, Cu-poche, Nendoroid, Doctor Who, Harry Potter)
- I collect small vintage cars
- I read a lot of fiction, sometimes two books at a time
- I write fiction
- I play PC Games (Sims 4, Titan Quest Ragnarok, Sacred 2, Child of Light)
- I do a bit of food photography
- I dabble in photo manipulation
- I doodle in my "Everyday" sketchbook
- I am learning the Ukelele
- I like to get crafty (dioramas, origami, scrapbooking)
- Watching Korean drama
21. Will you send me your doll?
No. I worked hard to get my dolls.
Feel free to have a go!
Also if any images are broken, please let me know in the comment section below. Thank you!





Great that you took this meme and it was nice to learn some new things! Your first BJD was a beauty, really do like the white skin. It looks almost luminous.
ReplyDeleteOne of the comments I have received when people learn about this hobby is ”I do not get it” and the second one is ”How creepy”. One of my workmates at the church did not say a thing, just slowly distanced. :D Probably ”how creepy” would be his reaction, if he would say something.
Have you been playing Sims for a ling time? I have never played, but know a couple of players among my friends. One of them said that she really can relax and let all other things be, when she is playing and creating her stories.
How is it going with the Ukulele? Do you take lessons?
Qian is a beautiful girl! Adore the big eyes!
White resin is always so beautiful. I always have to keep stopping myself from ordering more as I have found they yellow really fast.
DeleteAnd yet, if we were in our 70s collecting those older style Porcelain dolls, people would not even blink at it. It's really strange.
I've been playing the Sims since the original release back in February of 2000 so 17 years going onto my 18th year of playing the game. Wow. That is a LONG time!! I love it because it allows me to escape from my reality and play a Sim of a fantasy life I would live if only I was a millionaire and didn't have to worry about bills and working etc. My current Sim is pursuing her dreams of being a great musician learning guitar, piano and violin. I do admit, I use the money cheat for my Sims so they don't have to work. I like to think it's a trust fund from their mysterious very wealthy grandmother.
I am teaching myself the Ukulele, mostly from Youtube videos and a bit from hubby as he's been playing the guitar since he was in school. He plays my Uke as well. He played Highway to Hell on it for me the other day. He actually learned to play it faster than me. He's much better at it than I am!
Good one Alasse! Not much there I didn't already know, and a lot of your answers are the same as mine would be if I were doing this meme, except of course the learning the Ukulele bit, boy that was a surprise!
ReplyDeleteI just hope you don't try doing all those hobbies at once . . . and I thought I had a list. :)
Hope your week end's a quiet one.
Hugs,
x
Goodness, I thought I better stop after I saw my hobby list. I have a lot more than that. I get interested in a lot of stuff so end up having to divide my time between things. Also, I tend to see what mood I am in that day and will do whatever hobby calls to me.
DeletePlanning on a quiet weekend. Gotta start back at work Monday, so am planning on chilling out. Hope you have a good one too!
Ohh loved the tag!! I think I was tagged over IG on this one might do it on my blog since I started posting again (hopefully I'll keep at it).
ReplyDeleteWe re very similar but that's not a surprise at all I enjoyed seeing those old photos!
Plus, you are great at doing photo flip booklets :D!!! I love mine~
I hope you do post this meme on your blog! I should make a meme of questions not asked before. Hmmm ....
DeleteThe old photos bring back so many fond memories. It's like music isn't it? Each piece played during specific moments bring back the memory of that moment when you listen to it years later.
I love doing the flip book a lot. I want to do more of them. Heck, I still have so many cards to use up! Glad you liked yours! I had so much fun putting that together for you. It was nice to see the photos of all your dolls again, past and present.
Oh i really like this tag and that you took your time to answer it properly (not like me xD) Also this flip booklet loos so cute...
ReplyDeleteI was always amazed by people who could read more than one book at once - I get utterly confused by it xD
Welcome to the blog NanaM. Thank you for leaving a comment. It's always nice to find a new blog to read.
DeleteI have to admit to having a bit of a weakness for these BJD memes. I always seem to do them whenever they pop up! The flip booklet is a lot of fun to do. Usually my husband puts the photos in a photo book for me (usually for Christmas) but sometimes, I just like to do something crafty with some of the doll photos I have.
I think it helps the two books I read, one is in the fantasy genre and the other is in the sci-fi genre although I have read two fantasy books at the same time once. That took concerted effort to remember which was which!!
I am also happy to find a new Dollie blog!
DeleteThose tags are really fun - I also do sometimes the BJD addicts prompts, even if it seems nobody else is still doing them xD, but I like the subjects and inspirations...
This was such an interested tag to read through! Great way to start the year. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd Dollzone Cosmo! That's a sculpt that I haven't seen in a while that I've always admired.
I just wish I had got his body as well. He fits on my Soom body and he shares that but I feel like he has a long neck on that body. Cosmo reminds me of the old days of collecting.
Delete