Friday, 9 February 2018

Enter Helena Deux

In my last post, Xanadu asked about seeing some photos of the neck donut on my Dandelion hybrid girl so I decided to post some photos of that and as I had the camera out anyway, it was a good time to snap more photos of Helena.


Onwards ...



These are what are called neck donuts, I remember seeing the term somewhere. I bought these back when I first started in the hobby. Some I bought from Cool Cat and the more round ones I honestly can't recall where they were from. They used to come in all three sizes (Yo-SD, MSD and SD) although I rarely see the Yo-SD ones and I honestly don't see these at a lot of places other than Coolcat these days. Alice's Collection has a neck protector but it looks different to these. I thought Luts sold them at one point but I can't see these on their website so I could have been dreaming.

I used these to lift the head up a bit higher so that the doll ends up with a neck rather than no neck.


My Dandelion is a faceplate system and this is how I have the donut underneath the head. It does show a bit like this but once the faceplate is on, you can't see it from the front. There is a teeny bit showing on the sides but because of the hair, it's not noticeable. And at some angles, it doesn't show at all.


I actually prefer the donuts with the gap as it's so much easier to get on and off. I simply pull up the S-Hook and pop it out or in. The ones without a gap (the fully round donuts) are a bit of a pain as these usually have to be installed when you re-string and to get them off, the doll has to pretty much be entirely unstrung to get it off.

Hope these pictures help to show how I use the neck donuts.


I wanted to show head to body proportion. She looks slightly bobble headed like this but once I have her wig and clothes on, it isn't as noticeable to me. Also, in this lighting (indoor natural light from window) the colour match is pretty close. She stood like this until I was finished with her. I did get my tape measure out as I was curious to her actual height. She came in at 54cm even with the head on. (I love this size, it's like having an SD but not going the full monty! It's amazing how a few cms really makes that much of a difference - my AOD Qian is 58cm and she feels big and heavy compared to this girl!)


She is wearing an SD13 size sweater I believe and it's still a bit big on her.


Just because ...



What I did notice about these two photos is that it shows the resin difference a lot more because of the full natural light as I took these photos outside in the shade. I still think once she has a faceup, this won't be as obvious.


Ending with yet another close up because I love her face.

Have a good weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the information about neck donuts. I'll need one of those because I'll have a hybrid with Luts body.
    Helena is so lovely! That wig and hairband really suit her. And I like her sweater, a bit oversized clothes are trendy. :)
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome. I love hybrids. I did a bit more research and found out that some MSD tops and skirts could fit although pants are hit and miss. So I will try some of those this weekend! Can't believe the weekend is almost here again! Time flies!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for explaining and showing the donuts Alasse. I can understand a little bit more about their use now. Like you, I think I would prefer the incomplete circle for their ease of use. I was wondering if this helps with posing the head, as in keeping it in the position you require for a photograph? I have a couple of dolls which have heads that don't always stay in position when you go to sit them or arrange their limbs.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all! It does help with posing the head, giving it a wider range of movement but from what you've said, my DZ Hid had a similar issue with his head. I ended up just glue sueding around the inside part that sits on top of the neck and I found it works a treat for keeping his head in certain poses. I do sometimes find with the donut that it can slip a bit when moving the doll depending on how smooth the resin is I guess. I would still recommend glue sueding for heads. I like the friction it gives a lot more.

      Delete
  3. Must begin with saying that the last photo is my favourite. So beautiful and serene!
    And, so, that is a donut! Thank you for sharing this info and reading and seeing the photos, made sense. Should have figured it out, haha! A great little thing that can change much on a doll!
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look quite serene in that photo doesn't she. She's easy to photograph. I can't wait until I can get a face up on her.
      My pleasure, I'm glad the information on the donuts was useful. It's a rather neat little contraption.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this Information Alasse <3
    This is really helpful, since I will get a body soon which I think will have a short neck. I hopefully can raise the head like this, without modifications...
    The Body is beautiful and all in all she is a Beauty! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all. I'm glad it will be useful for you. I find it works well for those head sculpts that have the face plate system. I don't know why they tend to sit a bit lower but the neck donut at least gives them a neck!

      It is a really amazing body. The string is a bit loose and I haven't had a chance to order some new string for her yet but even with the looser string in, she can still stand on her own, it just takes a small amount of fiddling. And she still poses quite well.

      Delete