Thursday, 29 March 2018

Dollmore/Souldoll Hybrid - Some Thoughts

Today was a sunny day, a break from the past week of rain. I thought I would take this opportunity to talk a little bit more about my Dollmore/Souldoll hybrid girl and take some photos of her while I have some lovely natural lighting.





This is a photo of her front on without her wig. For these photos, I decided to remove the wig so you can see the proportions a lot better and how the head sits on the neck. As you can see the resin colour match is not bad. The Dollmore head is a touch lighter than the Souldoll body but that could be because the two parts were made in different years so the body has yellowed a little. But otherwise, I don't think the match is that bad.


From the side, you can see now that the neck is actually a bit thicker than the head opening. I didn't factor this in as I was concentrating on the height of the bodies and just assumed the neck size would be similar. I know, rookie mistake there but ... it's not a deal breaker. Once she has a wig on, you can't even tell.

I could mod the neck to fit but as this body shares heads with the Bimong girl as well, I don't want to do that (plus, I do not do mods on resin period.)


The head tilting I mentioned in my last post. It's very obvious here that her head just sits on the neck. However, styled with a long wig and careful observation of camera angles, this won't be noticeable at all. You can always add a scarf (as demonstrated in the first photo of this post) to hide any evidence of this.

It's all about working with what you have.


Looking up, there's not really any evidence other than she does have a bit of a swan neck syndrome. But some people have longer necks than others.

Her head movements are really good. She can look up and down, side to side and tilted which is more than I can achieve with the Bimong Dandelion girl.

I actually think front on, this head doesn't look too out of place on this body and I love the size proportion. I'm pretty happy with how the hybrid worked out despite some minor issues.


A close up of the eyeshadow sheen I spoke about. It looks amazing. I really love how it kind of makes her eye shape "sparkle" a little bit more. I also changed out her eye colour to the Makoeyes one I had that was a more brown-ish colour. I rather like how it goes with her wig.

And of course, it wouldn't be a post without some more gratuitous photos of her...,



Her name came to me late last night. It's a name I've always liked but haven't yet used for any of my dolls but she suits it I think.

Meet Brunhilde. Her story is still a work in progress. I am planning on hopefully trying to sew her a Celtic style dress. She exists in the same story as the Lady Amaryll which I am presently rehashing. The theme will be fantasy in the middle ages or something to that effect.

Have a good Easter break everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Brunhilde! That was the name of a princess who died and became a ghost, it's an old Polish legend associated with Niedzica castle.
    These eyes look much better. And as for people with long necks - I have quite long neck myself. :) I think that too small head opening doesn't matter as long as the posing is good. I'm really curious about the Celtic dress. :)
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that old Polish legend sounds very interesting. I will have to google it up and read more about it. Those kind of stories are right up my alley. Thank you for letting me know about it. Always like discovering new folk legends.

      I do like this eye colour a lot better. There was just something slightly not right with the green ones. Well, my DZ Cosmo just sits on top of the Soom body he shares with my Epidos boy. But the head posing is good and with hair, you don't really notice it. Dollzone have small head openings as well at the base.

      I'm going to follow these instructions I found online on how to make a medieval style dress for humans using an old t-shirt as a pattern but add celtic style trimmings.

      Delete
  2. Hello Brunhilde! Did not see that name coming at all, but it suits her very well. In the Nordic mythology we have a Brunhilde too - she was a shield maiden.
    I agree with Nana, those eyes look so much better. And the problem with the neck is nothing one sees when the wig is on and as you wrote, it is all about the angles. From the front it is not noticeable at all.
    Like the face up on her and now I could see the eyeshadow sheen too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look up the Nordic mythology as well. I have always liked this name but have never used it for any doll before. I love it for her though.

      That eyeshadow sheen is really quite lovely. I like that the face up is not too bold.

      Delete