Friday, 31 August 2018

Fantasy? Hell Yes!

For long time readers of my blog, you will have already been aware of my struggles with trying to make fantasy characters come to life in bjd form. After all, it was the primary reason I got into and started collecting these resin dolls in the first place. But because most fantasy outfits cost as much as a doll itself these days, it was looking quite bleak. During my holidays (where the heck did the time go and why did I not get anything creative done???) I realised that not having at least that core fantasy group made me unhappy. So I decided to hell with it. I wanted my fantasy group, somehow, I would find a way to figure out their outfits.

So I did some tweaking as I usually do and came up with "The Twins Saga", a story that I am working on at the moment (which usually consists of me writing a bunch of scenes with dialogue between characters). The instigator of this mad project was this dialogue between Mahalia, one of the Twins and her guardian, Brunhilde (I'm not crazy, I swear, but this scene just popped into my head randomly.)

"Have you ever met her?" Mahalia asked curiously as they made their way along the dirt track, lagging behind the others.
"Once, a very long time ago."
"Is she as ageless as they say she is?"
A small smile crept across Brunhilde's face at the memory. "She is. Stuck between child and adult with the responsibility of the three Kingdoms on her shoulders, she was one of the sanest people I have ever met."
"Was she as beautiful as the bards say?"
"It's a different sort of beauty but there nonetheless."
Mahalia sighed loudly. "I wish I could meet her."
"What would you ask of her?"
"What she saw of us, Jamal and I. What we would do. Why the Kingdoms are afraid of us."
Brunhilde slipped a comforting arm around the young girl's thin shoulders. "People are always afraid of what they can't control. What is to come, that path hasn't been set yet. It can be changed."
"I hope you're right."

That's it. Just this short snippet and an image of a young girl and her warrior guardian walking side by side along a dirt path having a conversation about the Blind Seer who pretty much started their journey. My feeling is that Mahalia is curious and intrigued by the Seer but she also perhaps hates her a little and blames her for having to be on the run and having to leave her home and being hunted by the King's soldiers. I guess Mahalia just wants to confront her and ask her "Why?".


I've started working on Brunhilde, the guardian of the Twins. She's from a tribe of warriors from the Northern clans. Her concept was heavily inspired by the Amazons, Valkyrie and Shield Maidens of old. With the small addition of being able to use both Ice and Air magic to enhance her fighting style.




My plans are to make some shoulder armour pads for her, a fur coat and some brown trousers. I have still to add a bit more leather and beads to her. She also has realistic eyes from Dollmore. I changed out the other ones for something with a bit more interest.

The main reason I bought this sculpt was this character. As soon as I saw her face, I could not get that Nordic/Viking vibe out of my mind. She was perfect for my warrior woman.

Most of my fantasy characters are a work in progress.


Next up on my list is Matteo. I've made him into my King of Vanor. I'm still keeping his interest and love of music. He was the second son so he was never groomed for the throne but a hunting accident killed his older brother and he found himself in charge. He is out of his depth and guided by the High Council who essentially run the Kingdom with the King as its puppet. But Matteo wants that to change. It was actually Matteo who suggested an alliance with the neighbouring Kingdom of Letheia and single-handedly brought peace between the two Kingdoms after a centuries old war. He proposed a marriage between the Kingdoms and promised to take their Crowned Princess as his bride. The two have not laid eyes on each other at this point.

The High Council actually don't want him to take a foreigner, no less their former enemy as his wife. He's butted heads with them on the issue numerous times.


He ends up disguising himself to find the Twins before the Council's soldiers do. He tells the Companions he is the son of a Blacksmith and calls himself Cedric. The council want to kill the twins and remove the threat of the prophecy. He wants to see for himself what threat they pose to the Three Kingdoms before making any rash decisions.


Lady Amaryll is the Crowned Princess of Letheia. Her father is still the King of Hela (Hell in this world) or at least that's what everyone believes because she is able to call on and use dark magic without any visible consequence. As the Queens of Letheia rule the Kingdoms and don't actually marry their Consorts, her mother falling victim to the Charms of the King of Hela is not a crime, nor is spawning his child. She is still half Letheia which still makes her royalty. Sons born to the Queens often end up as Knights or are married off to noble houses for alliances. Daughters are more highly prized in Letheia.



A rare portrait of the betrothed together some time after their very first meeting. He finds her intriguing. She is undecided about him but she will do what her mother asks even if it's not to her liking. At her core, she is a true daughter of Letheia and will do what is required; duty and sacrifice.


A wig change for Yanna. I love this pink wig on her so she will be wearing it. I've decided the MYOU Delia 1/6 version will be one of the three sisters as I shifted Eolande to the fantasy storyline as I plan to blush her hooves and change her legs out for those.

I also got my new Integrity girl but I will post about her another day. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. I love fantasy. For a very long time - since I was at school. I always considered it as my favourite genre. Not only Lord of the Rings or other classic books, but fantasy as general. The same is for movies.
    So I can understand why this was the reason to start bjd collection. :)
    I think they fit perfectly for roles you are preparing for them. And I'm sure you will find or make proper outfits.

    Can you please contact me by email? There is a contact form on my blog. I have a question for you but didn't find any email address of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantasy is my reading staple. I prefer reading fantasy over any other genre. Urban fantasy comes a close second though. I just like the idea of magical things happening in modern times.

      I hope I can make the outfits or find them. There is one seamstress in New Zealand that I might see about making something at some point. She does really good work.

      I will figure out how to put a contact form up on my blog.

      Delete
  2. Oh, well. Summer is over and the rainy season before the sunny and crispy autumn is here. Had plans and I agree with you - where did the time go and why did not anything creative happen. There is always tomorrow.

    Getting a story and the characters together is something I struggle with. It is often that I have a doll and a story, but these does not fit. Then I eventually get a doll that maybe could suit, but suddenly there is another story popping up. So, I had to leave that and just stay with photographing. Otherwise I would have drowned in dolls and stories, with nothing matching. :D And then there is always the clothes.

    I like your stories, snippets and thoughts. These are all thought through. I wish I could start to write again. Did it a lot during the years in school and even at my years at the university. Did a couple of combined essays - a story about Judaism and another about Wicca. It was fun.

    Sometimes it is the best to just embrace it - what ever comes and what ever stories that come. I think that it is a part of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like me so much! I am constantly having stories pop into my head all the time. I really have to make sure I restrain myself otherwise I would have too many stories!

      I've pretty much made sure my major stories are in the BJD world and everything else I kinda just wing it and see what happens.

      I used to write seriously for a time but it frustrated me a lot so I really enjoy the freedom writing for dolls gives me now as I just write whatever, whenever and just see how things turn out. Even if you just write snippets here and there, you'll still be getting back into writing.

      Delete
  3. It's good that you worked on the core group, because it's what you really want. Time flies by, and there isn't always room for such things unfortunately. Creativity comes and goes :-).
    Outfits are always expensive indeed, I remember that in the very beginning of my interest in BJDs I saw the prices of the dolls on sites like Iplehouse and thought that that was it, and when I started to add the outfit, face-up and wig, that I almost fell of my chair of the high price it had become lol! But you already have very nice outfits or parts of them, it will build up to what you want eventually.
    I like the snippet and your characters, and how you describe the situation, and the dolls you chose. And great photos of the characters! I always enjoy seeing Amaryll, she's so gorgeous and has a pensive and regal expression.
    I am curious about your new Integrity doll :-).
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, Iplehouse is one of the more expensive companies. I've only ever owned one doll from them and that was when the Australian dollar was really good against the USD so it was pure luck. I couldn't afford to buy one of their dolls now though as it's well and truly beyond my budget and our dollar is not doing so good against the USD.

      I tend to look only at companies that fall in my budget. MYOU make great dolls and they are affordable, especially if you wait around for their sales. Resinsoul have great prices and great customer service but the dolls do need a bit of work done to get them posing well. AKAGIDOLL MSDs are quite affordable too. Impldoll are also affordable dolls. There's probably more that I am drawing a blank on right now. The other option and one I have done is get the head if you can separately (not all companies do this) and then hybrid it onto a more affordable body. Your only issue there is resin matching head to body. But that's a more affordable option if you really like a head but can't buy the whole doll. (pretty much what I am doing the Argodoll Zet I want as I am only getting his head and hybriding it onto my Akagidoll body.)

      Amaryll is one of my favourites because she isn't the traditionally pretty sort of doll. I still think she's beautiful but in a different way to other female pretty dolls. If that makes sense!

      Integrity dolls are too addictive. I need to stop buying them soon as they are getting too expensive!

      Delete
  4. It's sooo true... The main reason I started to learn how to make clothes for my dolls was because of the prices of their outfits. While casual ones are more affordable, fantasy outfits prices can be insane.
    I adore fantasy, as you can tell by my dolls :). The dolls you choose for your characters fit perfectly into their roles! I cannot wait to see (and read) more of their stories. I'm sure you will make great outfits for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'd rather buy their outfits as anything I make won't be up to par to what I want. But ... yeah ... it's expensive. Fantasy is just so perfect for dolls but so hard to make a reality. It's frustrating.

      The curse of the fantasy genre eh? I love the way you dress your dolls.

      Delete
  5. The dialog was interesting and I can easily imagine the characters and the backgroud. The Blind Seer made me think of Hinoto from the manga "X". I like the photo of Matteo and Amaryll together. It's rare to see a couple in your photos. She looks older than him, but somehow they are a good match. As for fantasy outfits, you can make them yourself or ask someone skilled in sewing to sew them for you. But your story is very graphic so even without any photos the readers are able to imagine everything. :)
    PS Perhaps I shouldn't have finished my survey so quickly but I didn't expect more answers. I'm always eager to hear what other people think about my projects and I'm flexible enough to incorporate some good ideas they give me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up some classic manga titles! I remember that manga. I started to read it but never got far into it. Wasn't there also an anime at some point?

      I should take more couple shots. I just need to figure out my camera more. It's a new camera and I'm still trying to figure out all the controls.

      I do know a few seamstresses who take commissions so there is always that option at some point. It would be nice to make the outfits myself. I tend to just get easily frustrated with sewing though!

      I have always liked your blog the way it is but I'll look forward to any new content you add too. I know I spent the first few years of this blog talking to myself. I still don't really have many readers but that's okay. It's just nice to have the few people who do take the time to read my blog. It's always a lot better when you can talk to someone about your hobbies and bounce ideas off.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there was "X the movie" and "X" as tv series. Each had a different ending. Pity the manga was never finished.

      Delete