Tuesday, 14 August 2018

Experiment Day

New wigs and trying out some things ...


 Jytia's new wig arrived. It sits a bit weird on her so I'm not sure if it'll be a keeper. I might buy her another one. I did a bit of work to it but I'm not sure I'm happy with it.





Ezekiel also got his new wig. He seems to suit the fake fur wigs. It's a bit messy and has long strands which I have plaited.


Originally, this doll had pink hair. It was the first colour I tried on her and I always loved the colour, just not the style of wig I had at the time. But this style I love. It gives her such a fun kind of feel and makes her a little whimsical, at least in my opinion.


Deirdre is the new owner of my one and only Old Town inn, The Mermaid's Rest. She's been renovating it for the past year and has only recently opened it for business. It has a bit of an old time feel to it but with the modern conveniences people are used to.




A gift from home. Deirdre has a lot of bad dreams and her mother made this for her to catch those dreams so she can have an easier rest. Her mother is a seventh generation Charm Maker and a very powerful one in her youth. Her abilities have ebbed somewhat in her old age but she can still manage something as simple as a dreamcatcher for her daughter.

Recently, I was reading a photography tutorial over at Antique Lilac and was curious to see if I could try it out with my dolls.

In Old Town, I have a a library owned and managed by Eve however, I had been trying to decide how I could make that work. The tutorial gave me the inspiration I needed. I have a quasi library in the computer room as I buy a lot of books. Why not see how that looks.


Mahalia looks like she is giving an interview of some sort here.




Jytia also gets to test the library out. She is posing like a dream now that her thicker elastic arrived and some silicone disks that I put into her arm, hip and knee joints. Before that, she just would not stand on her own but then again, her original elastic was 3mm. I put 4mm elastic in her. I would have gone with 4.5mm but it was a bit too thick for the s-hooks to take. 4mm coupled with the silicone disks seem to be working great though.

I don't have a huge space to work with but maybe if I can take the photo from further away, the books may look a smidge smaller but I'll have to experiment. I plan to make bookshelves and books eventually but for now, a quick solution is the way to go.


I also never thought to use my kitchen as a back drop but thought I might try it. The food props are so not in scale but it'll do for experimentation purposes.

Well, that was fun. Let's see what else I can experiment with in the coming days. Hope everyone is having an awesome start to the week!

10 comments:

  1. The black wig does look good on Jytia in the photos, or at least the hair style does :-). She is lovely with the bangs. I love the pink hair too, it's cute and goes very well with the colours of the face-up. Great experiments with the backgrounds! Love the picture in the kitchen :-)! Deirdre's Inn will hopefully be a success, with lots of interesting customers. I hope her bad dreams go away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird because Jytia's wig just seems a bit off, the way the cap sits on her head. It's not so noticeable in the photos but in person, it's really strange. The kitchen photo turned out a lot better than I expected to be honest! I really need to do some photo stories with these dolls. I've just been stuck because everything prop or furniture for SD dolls are so pricey.

      Delete
  2. Jytia's new wig is really great. I like her with bangs. And Ezekiel somehow reminded me of young Michael Jackson (no offence!). :) Deidre is so lovely, she creates a warm autumnal aura. Using your book shelf as a backdrop is a good idea but yes, it would be better to increase the distance. But the kitchen is perfect, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gives me a really big Egyptian Queen-esque vibe with this wig style, which I love and somewhat inspires her look when I can either figure out how to do it or find someone to commission to sew it for me.

      Oh yeah, he totally is giving off the Michael Jackson vibe. I can see it now.

      I might have to see about using a smaller book shelf in the lounge room as there is more space to utilise there. My computer room is so small, not a lot of room to move.

      Delete
  3. Deirdre looks so melancholic, that it suits her name perfectly. And I love the results of your photography experiment! Library looks great, and kitchen too! I must definitely see the tutorial you mentioned - Antique Lilac's photopshoots are always so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does amazing photos and outfits. I definitely recommend that awesome tutorial/tips page. I need to try this experiment out in nature too.

      Delete
  4. Jytia looks amazing in black hair. Wig looks great on the photos.

    But what I admire most in this post - is Deirdre. She looks just gorgeous! Red hair and this outfit suits her perfectly.

    And I love photos in the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deirdre is a real gem. She is one of my oldest dolls here and I love her. She is also the first female doll that I ever liked enough to want to own. Previously, I had only liked male sculpts and female sculpts were hard to find that I liked. I still have that issue these days.

      Delete
  5. Deirdre, beautiful as always! And the black wig does look good on Jytia!
    I visit Antique Lilac now and then, and are amazed by the clothes and photos.
    She has some patterns that I have tried on my Narsha's, following the tutorials.
    Turned out pretty nice. And the tips she has are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a great inspiration particularly her photography. I wish I was that brave though but I am slowly working towards it.

      I do like the black colour for Jytia. Wish more wigs were this colour. Usually they are off-black which isn't midnight black.

      Delete