"...and on the night of the darkest moon when all light is vanquished, a child will be born into the world. With her first breath, the sky will rumble, the earth will shake, the waters will rise and the wind will howl. In one hand, she holds our salvation, in the other, our destruction. You will know her not until the red moon appears and the power within her awakens." ~ as prophesied by the Blind Seer.
Mahalia is my Child of Prophesy. She was born in secret to a Varnon Princess of Royal Blood and her unknown lover. She was taken by the trusted nursemaid of the Princess and carried away into the night to be hidden among the commoners. She was placed with a childless couple, a candle maker and her husband.
Mahalia grew up believing she was their daughter. When their village was attacked by slavers, her parents died to ensure her safety. She wandered alone for a time, guided by strange dreams until she came to the Northern Clans who took her in and trained her. There, she learned of the Prophesy of her birth.
When Mahalia dreams, she always arrives before the entrance to a cave. She is compelled by an unseen force to enter. She couldn't resist even if she tried. Inside the cave, there is a path of moss and grass and wild flowers. She follows this path deeper into the cave until she comes to its heart where a woman of unearthly beauty sits alone on a small rock covered in vines and wild flowers. She speaks with Mahalia although her mouth does not move. She seems to speak directly to Mahalia's mind. Mahalia feels safe and loved in the presence of the woman and she knows that there is something very important that she must do.
Here I wanted to play with a more dreamlike manipulation of a close up of the above image to show that this is Mahalia's dreamlike state. She dreams of this woman a lot. She doesn't know who she is only that the woman means her no harm.
I'm still hammering out the finer details of this character but I've been chatting with my husband about it and he's given me some ideas to work with.
I was really happy with how the photos turned out and wanted to show a Behind the Scenes set up of the photo. I buy single vinyl tiles that I like the patterns of and I find they come in really useful for MSD size and smaller dolls. This one I was surprised worked so well as a cave wall. Add a few artificial plants and you have instant cave!
Happy Weekend!




Somehow your stories resemble CLAMP mangas' plots. The characters, their abilities and complex backgrounds make me think of RG Veda, X or Magic Knight Rayearth. At least that's what I feel about your writing style. ^.^ Mahalia was neatly portrayed here. And using tiles is a good idea. I have to think about interchangeable background for my boys. Perhaps I'll use some wallpaper scraps or something.
ReplyDeleteTruthfully the only CLAMP manga I have fully read is the Shirahime Syo one that I have. I am in love with their art but have not had much chance to read a lot of their manga sadly. I was drawn to the artwork of RG Veda but CLAMP's mangas are really hard to get here where I live, impossible really. And ordering them from overseas is very expensive so I just never had the opportunity to get them. The same with the anime. It's hard to get them where I live unless they happen to show them on one of the channels but even then, they sometimes never show the whole series and they usually show them at some ridiculous time of the night. I haven't read manga now in years. The last ones I read were Tarot Cafe by Sangsun Park and Nana by Ai Yazawa. I really wanted to get Bride of the Water God but since our government wanted taxes put on overseas stores like US Amazon, we are now blocked from the site and can no longer order from them. We have our own Amazon but it's triple the price of the US Amazon and not as much products sadly. I regret not getting that manga when I had the chance.
DeleteI'm a big fantasy fiction reader so my fantasy based stories tend to have those typical fantasy troupes and themes as found in a lot of the fantasy books. My favouirite authors though is David Eddings, his Belgariad is an absolute favourite of mine, Jennifer Fallon and Brandon Sanderson.
You can also use contact (we have wood grain ones here) or I have seen people use a big canvas and put fabric over it for walls, which works well for SD size dolls as you can get pretty big canvases. And you can just change out the fabric.
The idea to form "instant cave" was great! It really does look like a mysterious grotto. And I absolutely love Mahalia's clothes.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how the story will develop further... Which of her destinies will Mahalia choose? Salvation or destruction...?
I'm just thankful I bought that outfit a few years ago as the seamstress is no longer in the hobby now. She made some fantastic outfits though and I wish I had purchased more.
DeleteI love it when things work out in photos. Sometimes it doesn't but this was one of those lucky times!
As long as Mahalia is allowed to choose, I think she will make the right choice but there are forces in the world that will attempt to capture her and force her to choose something she may not want to but may have to in order to save her friends.
Very intresting character. I like it very much. And your doll is so beautiful. Love her clothes.
ReplyDeleteIdea of using tiles is just brilliant!
I love the celtic style clothing a lot. I want to learn how to make them myself but it's hard when you don't really know much about sewing!
DeleteOur local hardware store sells a bunch of different vinyl tiles and they are just really neat to use. I'm thinking of covering a large scale foam board or canvas with two or three and see if they will work for my bigger dolls.
That is a simple way to make an instant cave! Less is more. Mahalia is a beauty and I like the story around her.
ReplyDeleteAnything that can make a great diorama without spending a lot of money is always great!
Delete