Today, I want to share some photos from my Sims 4 game where I build what I imagine would be Deirdre's Cafe/Bookstore, The Grind. Now if only I could turn this into an actual diorama, then I would be happy.
The Grind is one of those places that have an old nostalgic feel to it with soft lighting and warm comfy seats. It has an ambience of mystery and one can't help but speak softly inside the walls. Deirdre bought the place and renovated it into a tiny little cafe and bookstore. She lives upstairs, above the shop. Let's just say Deirdre has a way with sweets. Her secret ingredient? She would never tell you what that was. Deirdre calls this place home. It's the one place she can truly be free.
Deirdre:
The shelves are floor to ceiling lined with books from different times and different places, each with their own stories, every one in a different state of use, old, new and everything in between. She loved the smell of dusty books and the feel of the hard spines beneath her fingers but it was those tiny innocent words nestled between the covers that always drew her attention. Words that wove and weaved through her imagination immersing her in worlds beyond her own. It is there, between the fragile pages and the carefully crafted prose that she finds adventure and magic, the kind that has shaped her life and fired her curiosity.
The soft melody of bamboo sticks swishing together brought her back to the present, a signal that a customer had arrived. She turned, a soft smile played freely on her lips, "Welcome to The Grind."







I absolutely love the place and I would be a regular customer if it would exist somewhere nearby :). Sweets, books and cosy seats? Count me in, anytime :)
ReplyDeleteI would be a regular customer too! I'd love to have a place like this myself to be honest, a getaway from the world for a time.
DeleteI loove the idea of indoor vine walls ~ x3 soo wanna build sims stuff now!
ReplyDeleteI have them in my sim bathrooms too sometimes along with those little butterflies. I love creating indoor garden scenes.
DeleteIndeed, there is something mysterious in that dark room, but at the same time it's very cozy. It would be fantastic to sit in a comfy armchair and have some hot chocolate while reading an interesting book. ^.^
ReplyDeleteBTW, are you going to attend ABC Doll Club Inc Convention on 13th-15th September?
I had to google that up as I had not heard of that group before. I didn't even know one existed in Australia so thank you for bringing my attention to it. Hmm, I would really like to go to that but will have to see as it gets closer how expenses are coming along as I would have to fly down for that and plane tickets may be pricey. Ah the joys of living in a regional town.
DeleteWhat a great place to be! Hope you can turn it into a diorama one day
ReplyDeleteI hope so too. I have plans to make it at least into a one room diorama somehow.... with hubby's help maybe.
DeleteThis is lovely! I really like how some people are able to put together such amazing back stories for the dolls, and this one is really great. I hope that you're able to put together a diorama one day because this story and this place, The Grind, need to be told :)
ReplyDeletexx
I definitely need to tell her story, it's an interesting one. I really do hope I can turn this into reality somehow. The main issue is space and storage of such a massive diorama!
DeleteOh, what a lovely place :) If it would be real place I would be one of regular custorem :D There was this type of magical palce in my town - called Palace of Book. It was place where you could buy second hand books, furniture, painting and many more things. Those place has this type of magical aura like The Grind :)
ReplyDeleteThe sad thing is places similar to this are slowly dying out because of electronic e-books these days. I was inspired to build this from my favourite secondhand bookstore that will close soon.
DeleteDon't know how I missed this post Alasse, it's wonderful and I agree with the others, you need to build a diorama of this place for sure. I think it would be wonderful to actually see a photo story woven around this. To be honest, I wondered while reading, if you weren't wishing you were Deirdre...I know I was. :)
ReplyDeleteBig hugs,
X
It will be a big diorama as it would be for an SD sized doll! But I would like to do this. I even already have ideas on how to do the bookcase for the books. Oh yes, I wish I was Deirdre, lucky girl! The build was inspired by my favourite second-hand bookstore (only 1 of 2 left in my town). Sadly that bookstore is closing in April. The owner is selling the business and as I am regular there and we talk a bit about books, she offered the business to me to buy from her. I'm tempted but I can't make big investments like that at the moment which is a shame as I would love to run a second-hand bookstore. It's really a case of bad timing.
DeleteYes, I can see it would, I didn't know she was that big. Hubby and I love books too, but they have to be hard backs. I purchased several just before Christmas from one of my favourite illustrators and have them sitting on the coffee table for visitors to look at...but we have very few visitors who read books!!
DeleteNow that is something hubby would love, he's a more avid reader than me. :) Timing can be a bummer when it's out of sync.
A perfect place! :) Hope that you can make a diorama out of this! Or just one corner, with the chairs - looks so cozy!
ReplyDeleteI think a corner sounds like a great idea! Thanks! It might be more manageable than the entire thing!
DeleteWall-to-wall books always make for such a great atmosphere! Although I suppose that also would make for a lot of work for a diorama. It would definitely be worth it though! :)
ReplyDeleteIt would at that unless you could get a wallpaper that looks like wall to wall books ... hmmm...
DeleteThis is definetely place for me. :D
ReplyDeleteDiorama like this would be amazing. But so much work... But never say never, maybe you will have it some day? I keep my fingers cross!
I think this kind of diorama would be one of those things you worked on a little bit at a time over a long period of time. It would be neat though. The SD size though is what makes me hesitate mostly for space!
DeleteOh my, this is an amazing idea, actually!! It is great to be able to build your dolls' places like this!
ReplyDeleteI really like The Grind, I think you made an amazing place that gives the feelings of everything you wrote. I would definitely be a regular customer there!
Sometimes I just need a bit of a visual to start the gears working for dioramas! I really hope I can build this or even a small portion of it. It would be great although not sure if I can make it doable for an SD sized doll!
Delete