Monday, 25 May 2020

The Lady in Blue

I have this gorgeous medieval dress that I bought years ago, maybe 9 or 10 years ago. Anyway, when I bought it, it wasn't in the best condition but it never got worse, until recently. I thought about trying to fix it, attempted it but it just made things worse. You see, the fabric itself was beginning to tear and come apart. I couldn't bear the thought of taking this dress apart or throwing it away so I decided to keep it as a model of what a medieval dress should look like.

And then I started looking at the parts that made up the dress and thought, "I wonder if I could reconstruct it from scratch." Well I did that but it was you could say very different from the original. I really don't know who the maker of the original dress was as I bought it second-hand. But here goes...




This the original dress, You can't really see it because the belt is in the way but the original dress is made of the bodice (5 bodice panels - 3 front, 2 back) and the skirt section (4 skirt panels), they are separate parts joined together at the waist. However, I changed this for the reconstructed dress and made the panels one full panel. The sleeves on the original also have the traditional wide sleeves with the long tail seen in a lot of medieval dresses. I changed the sleeves to simple wide sleeves without the long tail.


After I drafted the pattern pieces onto paper, I cut out the fabric and pinned it together to see how it went together. Keep in mind this dress is a draft version. I ended up with only 3 front panels and 2 back panels plus 1 gore piece. I prefer not to join things at the waistline if I can help it as I find the full panels look much nicer and neater.


The dress sewed together and turned out the right way with the sleeves added. I decided to jazz up the sleeves and added ruching to each sleeve. This is before the neckline was hemmed and the back sewn together. If you're wondering why the sleeves are white instead of blue, I ran out of the blue fabric. In the end I think I prefer the two colours on this.


The finished dress. Sorry about the lighting here. I took this at 7.30am before I had to start work. I finished it late last night so the lighting then wasn't so good. The 'tail' at the back of the dress is also made from white fabric. I call this the mermaid's tail. It gives this dress a bit of a train.


 Details of the back with eyelets installed. There is a bit of gaping there so I will have to make adjustments to the original pattern and give a bit more fabric in those areas.


The ruching on the sleeves. I love how it looks. It gives it a point of interest.



Overall, I was really surprised that I managed to put this together without instructions. Some of it was trial and error and there was some unpicking threads involved. I am always curious how pieces in these types of gowns go together and initially this started as a need to satisfy my own curiosity but I really enjoyed the final result.

As mentioned earlier, this is only a draft version and there are errors that need to be fixed but as a trial run, it was an interesting test. It does fit this girl nicely at the front.

After seeing how she looks in this, I think this is more the style of her character, a bit on the plain side without any big embellishments or accessories. It's a simple, modest dress which I think suit the followers of the Great Goddess. They're not as showy or blingy as the Yllerians.

I will try this one again with some adjustments. I think a shawl of some sort would also complete the outfit, maybe a belt with a pouch for herbs or bottles of herb mixture.

I really love sewing these big fantasy gowns. It looks complicated to begin with but once you break it down into its parts, it's actually quite simple and easy to put together.

I'm sure there will be more sewing adventures this week after I get my two days of actual paid work out of the way for this week, then I can have my hobby time. I have plans to make a patchwork scarf for myself and maybe for Deirdre. It's the sort of thing she would wear. She's got a very boho style so I'm looking into making more clothing along those designs for her.

That's it for Monday night. Hope your week is a good one!

18 comments:

  1. I think you did a very nice job and Im sure next one will be even better!!! I have no idea about sewing, but maybe you could try using a thinner fabric, as it looks like that's the main difference on why both dresses don't look the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue fabric is actually quite a bit thinner than the white fabric on the original dress. I believe the white fabric on the original is Linen and my blue is more like cotton voile. Oh I don't want the dresses to look the same. I was only using the original as a base for the main pattern shapes. I intended to change it like this as I prefer the one panel instead of split panels for bodice and skirt pieces like the original had. I opted for this over Linen because here Linen is $30 a meter which is expensive for fabric.

      Delete
    2. Ah I see!!! It looks like it drapes differently, so I assumed it was a weight difference. I like the colors in your dress better and I think you did a terrific job. I love the rushing on the sleeves

      Delete
    3. Yeah I think the drape on the original is like that because it was a separate piece to the bodice part and it looks like it was gathered a little bit before it was attached to the bodice. Because mine is a one single panel, I think it drapes differently and looks a bit stiffer rather than drapey. I hadn't even thought of that until you mentioned it so thank you for pointing that out! I tried to buy the same fabric yesterday and it looks the same but I think it's a heavier fabric. So I may have to use a different one.

      Delete
  2. You did a great work :) One long panel instead of two short ones looks much better and neater in doll size. I'm courious of the final version of that gown <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I feel that way too although the split top and bottom would work for some gowns though like the renaissance type ones I think look better with the separate top and bottom. But for medieval gowns, I just like the look of the whole panels better.

      Delete
  3. It looks gorgeous! Will you keep this colours combination? I think it's perfect for her - this blue and white. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I don't mind this colour on her and would like to keep the colours but that depends if I can get the blue fabric still. I bought it last year and only got 1/2 meter of it. I have now discovered when making gowns for SD dolls, I will need a meter of fabric as 1/2 meter meant I didn't have enough fabric for the back gore or the sleeves. It was good to know though as I never know how much fabric I will need for things. My other colour choice was still in this light pale shade but maybe in a green or yellow green to match her eyes. With the white sleeves and gore. I need a better white fabric though. This one crinkles so easily even when I iron it a dozen times.

      Delete
  4. OOoo, fantastic!! I really love how this dress turned out, I'm always affraid to sew anything from more than four pieces :). And yes, the colour theme is perfect - serene, modest and pure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself curious whenever I see a gown with lots of pattern pieces and wonder how it all goes together. Sewing sleeves on a sewing machine was fun in such a tiny scale. I had to go so slow so I didn't accidentally sew fabric that wasn't supposed to be sewn in that area! I do like this colour scheme but it depends if I can get more of this fabric. My local store tends to not bother to sell the same types of fabrics once one is sold out.

      Delete
  5. I love the two colors, soft blue and pure white like that. It turned out great, the outfit! Well done!! Enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, the two colours turned out better than I expected. That was a surprise for me as I just grabbed what I had enough of to do the draft dress not expecting to actually like the two colours I used. And then when I put it on her, well ... it made the colours even more enticing.

      Delete
  6. WOW you did a really great job on this dress, the two colours work very well together and the detailing on the sleeves is perfect. Well done!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! I was pleasantly surprised at the colours as this has always been a draft dress but maybe I will just keep it as another dress for her. The sleeve part was me experimenting and I really liked the results. I will probably do this on a few more dresses.

      Delete
  7. Pat! Pat! Pat! Well done! I love the blue on her and the contrast sleeves work well Alasse. I shall look forward to seeing the next step now.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I went and bought what I thought was the same blue fabric - it looks exactly the same but it's heavier than the fabric I had in my stash. So weird. Even after pre-washing, it's stiffer and heavier. I may keep this one as a spare dress but do another one in another colour for her. I just need to figure out how to line a whole dress!

      Delete
  8. The dress looks nice and I'm sure the final version will look even better. It resembles Arwen's dress. A belt and perhaps a tiara would be a finishing touch to the outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried to use Satin fabric yet. But it's on my list and I will have to go look up some of Arwen's outfits again. I have a Barbie size pattern for one of Eowyn's outfits I want to try making for one of the Barbie girls. I have a trim that would work well as a belt!

      Delete