Monday, 4 March 2013

Enter Jarlath

It was an unexpected package day today. My long awaited shell for Jarlath finally arrived.

A bit of backstory: Jarlath is the brains behind the whole Transfer Project. He created it and refined it and found a way to integrate it to living tissue. In my excerpt, Awakening of Kiri, it is Jarlath who personally takes charge of Kiri's separation and subsequent transferral.

 
The familiar Resinsoul carry bag. You only get this particular bag if you order directly with Resinsoul.


 
Random gift eyes. I was surprised as Resinsoul usually don't give out gifts, at least in my experience.
 
 
First glimpse of the boy. Given he is shipped in a really small, thin outer box, I am always amazed at how intact the dolls arrive. No breakages here.
 
 
I have to admit, Resinsoul seem to put really random eyes in their sculpts. I'm not really a fan but I can see what they were going for with the gold eyes. My second surprise of the day, not only did he stand right out of his bag but he was strung tight. This is the first Resinsoul doll I've ever received from Resinsoul that is strung tight making the doll very sturdy. He can even do a hip out standing pose without falling over. I'm pleasantly impressed.
 
 
Now on to the not so good. He is sanded all over. Usually on a lighter coloured doll, you wouldn't even see the sanding marks and discolouration but because he is a darker colour, they stand out quite obviously. This is because Resinsoul sand the seams off their dolls. And I was aware there may be marbling or sanding marks with a darker colour like this. I was forewarned by the company. So I'm not really all that worried but I was a little surprised to find how obvious the sanding marks were, very vivid on his thighs in particular and the top of his head and arms. His face seems to also have had a sanding over. The reason for my surprise is that my dark tan Gang actually doesn't have very obvious sanding marks even though he has also been sanded. Maybe it's the new process or sandpaper they use these days (Gang is at least 3-4 years old now). 
 
Luckily, it's where I can cover it up anyway so it won't be too noticeable.

And as an added bonus, someone else arrived with him.

 
This is an Nendoroid Petit. A friend sent him to me and I think I have found yet another thing to collect. A lot smaller than your regular Nendoroid.
 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new boy! As always, I can't wait to see him finished! :)
    Is that their grey now or is it the dark grey?

    As for the sanding, I find the excuse companies are using for that one, a really poor excuse. No wonder there are marks like that if they use coarse sandpaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still haven't decided if those eyes and that white wig will be what he stays in.

      This is their dark grey resin.

      I'm trying to be positive about it but the more I look at the sanding marks, the more I am wondering what the heck they used. It's also on his arms.

      I have a dark tan Gang that is sanded too but looks like they took more care with him than my poor Song. I'm a bit disappointed with the sanding though to be honest. It's the first time I've had such an issue with a doll from Resinsoul.

      Delete
    2. I don't know the reason but I do think the quality within doll companies is dropping recently. And it should be the opposite with so many of them now.
      Maybe it's because we "don't mind" once our doll is here, after such long wait. Maybe it's our fault too.

      As for your boy, do you think you can sand him? Or maybe contact RS and tell them about your problem. Maybe they can, at least, send you the parts they messed up.

      Delete
    3. I emailed them already with my photo but I was just told that it is a result of manual sanding and to use fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out. They also said they would be careful in future and that was basically it.

      I guess there isn't really all that much I can say given that I knew there would be sanding marks because of the resin colour but still ... that is quite rough.

      Plus having to wait another 45 days for one thigh piece ...

      Delete
    4. Well, it seems like you don't have an option but to sand these parts on your own. In case you decide to do that, make sure you get that waterproof sandpaper. It's safer for you to sand under water.

      Delete