Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Life and Shadow

My order of Makoeyes came in yesterday and one of those were for Naiya. I am still undecided on what to think of it in her. I feel that it blends into her skintone a bit too much and doesn't create as much of a contrast as I had hoped. But we'll see.They're lovely eyes though as are all the Makoeyes I have ordered to date.


Wanted to take this opportunity to do a quick photoshoot (and introduction) of Naiya and Jarlath, my Life and Shadow Spheres.




Naiya is the Sphere of Life. She is able to heal and has the ability to coax plants to grow at a faster speed. She is able to communicate with animals and can also for a short time, see through their eyes. She is most powerful during the day.



Jarlath is the Sphere of Shadow. He can harness the power of shadow and illusion and has the ability to manipulate dreams.  He is most powerful during the night.

A short excerpt between Jarlath and Naiya.


MUSIC: Balamb Garden ~ Final Fantasy VIII

"What did you do ... before the calling?" Jarlath's question took her by surprise. It had been many long years since she had thought of her past.
"I was a Priestess of the White Tower." she closed her eyes, willing away the unexpected surge of sadness at the memories.
"The High Priestess had seen promise in me and one day, I would succeed her. I had just  begun my training when the Sphere took me."
Jarlath's next question dropped into the silence between them. "Was it painful?"
She closed her eyes briefly, still able to recall the pain that had ripped through her body. "I thought I was dying. It felt like I was."
"Like being torn to shreds from the inside." he finished quietly. "It was the same for me, for all of the Spheres."
"In the early days, I wished it had been someone else."
"Do you still feel that way?" he reached out and touched her shoulder.
"No. We were all called for a reason and when our time comes, another will be called. We may die but the Spheres will always live on."


4 comments:

  1. I'm loving these two characters of yours, they have such a beautiful story. At least the small piece you shared, it made me want to read more :)
    I also love how they look in their dolly version, they really express their characters well.

    As for the eyes, they really are beautiful, but I guess you are right: if contrast was what you were going for they are too similar to her skin tone and blend in a bit. It is especially obvious in the last shot, where they are not in the center as in the other pictures, and Jarlath eyes are the only ones actually popping out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Eyes and wigs are the biggest things that I find myself stumbling on when trying to shell my characters. I have a general idea of what I want but the only problem is I can never find it!

      This is why I think these eyes in Naiya might not be right for her. Because all my Spheres are out of the ordinary in terms of their existence, I like their eyes to be a primary outward indication of this so contrast and having them "pop" is exactly what I am going for. At least one of the others can use these eyes.

      Delete
  2. I like the snippit of the story of your characters! Naiya looks very otherworldly to me with those eyes... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit, choosing eyes is always so difficult for me especially with fantasy coloured dolls.

      Delete