Another post so soon! I think the stars must be aligned or something.
I was talking to my mother in law this morning (we were discussing whether she wanted to pitch in for hubby's birthday present as it's coming up in a month). I don't know how but the conversation turned to a local toy store that had been around for years and years. Apparently the owner had decided to close it down and was having a massive sale on everything in the store to get rid of the stock.
So of course, I had to wander down this morning to have a peek to see if there was anything of interest. (I was particularly searching for a small scale vintage Kombivan). While I was there I thought I would check out the MH aisle and managed to get the very last Freak du Chic Frankie Stein.
I had been procrastinating on her since seeing her a few weeks ago in one of the department stores so I took the sale as a sign. I also picked up a little companion for her that I think will also work well with the bjd scale.
I wish these types of dolls had been around when I was growing up. I had never been much of a Barbie fan and the only Barbie I ever had I ended up butchering her hair, poor doll. These types of dolls are more my style.
We start off with Frankie's card (above).
The front and back of the box she came in. I really like the packaging on this one and I love all the artwork. Sadly, there was no rabbit. I wish she had come with one though.
Out of the box. She comes with a wand, the hat, the blue rings and a black stand. She's also the first MH doll I have that comes with boots. I really like this design, the colours are just so vibrant, I love this shade of blue and that neck thing (I can't remember what you call those) remind me of the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland.
Detailing on those heels are pretty awesome. I love that it is a rabbit coming out of a hat.
Close up of her face. I really do like the factory make up on this one. It's quite interesting and I think different from some of the others. I also never realised she had different coloured eyes which is so neat.
Her hair will definitely need a wash as it has some styling products in it and it feels a little dry.
I haven't come up with a name yet but I do rather like her circus theme. I'll have to check which Spheres the others have currently and assign one to her once I decide on a name.
The companion is the Vinyl Ghoulia Yelps.
The two sides of the box. I love all the art on this one. The one on the (screen) right is actually embossed into the black box and looks more invisible than my photo shows here.
Out of the box and strutting her stuff. I love that these can work for bjd dolls as well. I really like the Draculara vinyl doll too so I might get that one as well but that's pretty much the only two I like in this line.








Wow that Frankie Stein is gorgeous, one of the prettiest MH dolls that I've seen! Her outfit and boots all seem super detailed. I don't follow the MH releases, I just sometimes check what they have in stock at local shops... It feels like there are never any of the nice ones left :/ There must be many adult collectors around, since MH dolls don't seem that popular with kids?
ReplyDeleteThat small companion seems cute as well, I don't think I've seen those here yet D: I wonder what the size is compared to BJDs, hope you'll share some pics later :)
I think this Frankie version is one of the prettier ones too. There's also a Scarily Ever After version of her that I really like but it's one of the ones that is hard to get. It's the same here, all the nice ones get sold really quickly although I suspect the stores here only get a small number of the nice ones so they don't have stock sitting on the shelf as they know they'll sell out of those ones. I tend to keep an eye out for sales as the MH dolls seem to always be on sale at one place or another, not that their original price breaks the bank or anything.
DeleteI have to admit, I don't see many kids in the MH aisle of the stores. They tend to be in the Barbie and Disney dolls section.
I'll definitely post up a photo of the vinyl girl with one of the bjds. It's weird because I would have thought they would be released everywhere around the same timeframe at least. These vinyl dolls have been on the shelf of most stores for a while now, at least the past 3-4 months here. When I did a google search for the vinyl dolls, I also came across photos of slimmer, taller vinyl dolls that I've never seen here so apparently there is a more "figure" type version as well floating around out there.
I love MH dolls and we agree that kids thse day have much cooler toys, but we had cooler toys than our parents did and the future kids will have even cooler toys than the ones they sell today XD I loved barbies though, I had a ton. I also had a ken that I used to cross dress because I had more barbie clothes than ken's lol
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there were vinyl monster high dolls, I don't think they have been released here (same for the gigantic MH), but they look great!
I didn't think of that but you're right, our generation did have cooler toys than our parents (although my parents have never been collectors of anything; my younger brother and I are the black sheep in our family with that.) Can you imagine what the future toys will be like with our level of technology and its improvement with each passing year, I wouldn't be surprised if they had human size robots to play with or hover boards (like in Back to the Future). I'm kind of jealous now.
DeleteMy parents ever only bought me one Barbie growing up, I think she was ... the Peaches and Cream Barbie. I remember she had a pretty cool dress but usually they would get me the She-Ra characters as I was really into that. I wonder whatever became of those ...
I think the vinyl dolls were released before the 16inch MH dolls but I have no idea why they haven't been released worldwide. I am curious about those bigger MH dolls and would love to get one. They're about 50-60 AUD here but ... they have only released four and they aren't any of the characters I want to get. If they released either a Ghoulia Yelps or an Operetta in that size though, I could be in trouble.
Hi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your new arrivals. I have seen many of these dolls and I'm yet to be stirred by them. Many of my dolly friends have them, and I can see why they like them, but like the Pulips and the Blythes they just don't grab me enough to purchase them. I will simply continue to admire them from a distance.
Hugs,
X
I'm like that with a few dolls as well. For me, it's got to be the Iplehouse dolls. I do like them but will never own them because of the posing issues I had with the only one I had a while back but I really love to enjoy them through other people's collections. I also like the Ever After High dolls but I don't collect them but admire them from afar. People do some great customs with those. I tell you though, their "Alice in Wonderland" theme dolls make them tempting. It's just a shame it's so hard to get any of the MH boys because there are so few of them and they sell out really quickly.
Delete