But as most of you who have attempted the hybrid game already know, matching resins between different companies (and sometimes even the same company!) can be a bit of a trial. Add in the fact that Deirdre's head is from 2012 and you have yet another complication.Ideally, I would have liked her on an older Delf girl body (probably from around the same year) but prices for those older Delf bodies can often be more than I'm willing to shell out for an older (and yellowed) body. New bodies will be less likely to match perfectly and so it goes in an endless circle. Even when I first ordered Deirdre from AOD, they had changed their resin and her WS was different to the AOD body I had from 2010. Deirdre's head brand new was less creamy than the old AOD WS (and seems to yellow much slower than the 2010 WS from my observations.) So therein lies the problem. I don't want to shell out a few hundred only to get a resin mismatch and then be unable to sell off the body.
I did have a body in mind. GUU doll's 58cm body has quite a lovely aesthetic appeal to it and looks to pose fairly decent. The WS (at least in those photos) look close to Deirdre's resin tone however, I have read comments that say the WS is more pinky which wouldn't be a good match and the body can be small for some heads (AOD heads tend to be on the larger scale).
So it's an all round headache. And I always end up back at Square 1 which is with zilch.
Moving on, another floating head I don't photograph too often is my DZ Cosmo. At the time, I couldn't afford him as a full doll but I wanted his head so I ordered from DZ thinking to buy the body later. That never happened (other doll purchases got in the way) but unlike Deirdre, Geraint can actually share the Soom body with my Epidos. So it's not really an issue.
My box of heads. These are all the floating heads I have currently and two of those are sleep versions of open eyed heads of dolls I have on display so they don't really count as I see them as the "alternative faces".
That's it for today. I actually managed to steal time to play with dolls this weekend. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!



Floating heads are entirely too tempting and end up being more trouble than they're worth I think! I have a few I've been trying to match bodies to for years! ;_;
ReplyDeleteI do hope you can get the right bodies, and sharing bodies is also a good back-up plan! Eventually you'll end up forgetting about the heads/alt faces in the boxes though, perhaps? :O That's my greatest worry ~
I don't think I will ever forget floating heads in boxes because it always feels as if those particular dolls are still incomplete. So it does tug at my mind often.
DeleteI guess the only way to find out is to take the plunge. And if a body is not as good at posing, I can always suede where necessary.
I only have one floating head, but its a sculpt I don't like that I got for free so I use it to practice face ups haha.
ReplyDeleteI can see why you would want more bodies, I also hate taking heads off my dolls. Its already annoying enough having to take them out of the closet for photos first. But I also think its a great idea buying heads for dolls you want but can't afford complete at one moment. I can see myself owning heads in the future especially if I can make them share bodies for a while. Though I imagine the burden of trying to prioritize getting the body later on instead of brand new dolls must be difficult.
Deirdre is a stunning head so I hope you do find a hybrid that works. I've always been scared of hybrids. No matter how much research you do, you can't never be 100% sure that the body and head you chose will work, which sucks because buying a body is expensive!
Your DZ Cosmo is very handsome btw, that wig suits him!! Same for Eve with the short one, but She can rock anything :D!!!
I want sleeping heads too Dx......... I had the Saint one for my Saint when I had him, and I find myself wanting sleeping heads all the time! Problem is, I don't want a sleeping head character, but a second head for an open eyed head, like you. It would make for some nice photos I think. Too bad not all companies offer sleeping heads for their dolls and there's no sleeping head for any of the ones I have. I'd love to see more photos of your sleeping heads :D
It was nice seeing some "new" faces in your blog~
I think the problem is that it is way too easy to just buy a head on its own because they are so affordable and don't take as long to save up for as a full doll. I used to have way more floating heads than this but I managed to move a lot of them on which I'm happy about. Now when I feel the temptation to buy a head, I remind myself I don't currently have a spare body for it.
DeleteI used to own quite a few hybrids in my early days. I just liked the idea of them for some reason. I don't have as many these days, just the one really, Eve. She's a CP head on an AOD body but the resin is a perfect match due to the level of yellowing on both. That was a happy accident! Also I am super fussy when it comes to SD girls and there really haven't been many that I've liked enough to want to own. There are some pretty ones for sure but nothing that has appealed to me since Eve (the second girl) came to live here, although technically, that head is a male head being a Chiwoo.
The problem with Cosmo is that the Soom neck is too big for him but I can't really do much about that as it fits Epidos perfectly of course. DZ made their neck holes and depth so small!
Sleeping heads are great. I really need to use them more in photos!
Hi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteGood to see you with some dolly time on your hands. I know how you feel, but I find it's not just resin match one has to worry about. After having one head too big for most of the bodies I liked, then moving it on and ordering another head only to find it too small in the neck, I felt like giving up.
Hopefully you find what you want and everything runs smoothly for you.
Hugs,
X
I was so exhausted last week but I think my body is getting used to the early starts and late afternoons now!
DeleteI do find it quite interesting how different just a centimeter in neck circumference can be. I found that with one of my earlier floating heads. I wouldn't think it would have been too much of an issue but I was surprised it was!
I think I may have some news but I'll post about it in another blog post.
All your dolls should be starting to arrive soon aren't they?