Thursday, 8 December 2016

Box Opening: Bluefairy Shiny Fairy May

A new girl joins the Inn today. She is Bluefairy SF May. I ordered her back on the 7th September and she arrived to me today. I also ordered her with Bluefairy's default face up. I simply adore their face up style. It's very much my kind of style. Sweet, subtle and gentle.

I can't remember the last time I did a BJD box opening. Looking back through my posts, it was January 2015! That was my Bimong Chuu. Time flies!


Let's start with this incredibly gorgeous little bag. It even has a little "seat belt" to hold her inside the bag. It's long enough to fit my MSDs in it too!



A little logo on the outside of the bag in gold lettering.


First glimpse of her after I unwrap the bubblewrap she came in.


...and because I'm a geek, I just had to show you this washi type tape they used on her face protector. Isn't it cool? I want this washi tape!


She came with dark green acrylic eyes. They look nice but a bit big for her I think. And the gorgeous face up. She also has little teeth like Rune! I really love this soft style.


Adore the hands on this body. It's a little on the chubby side but I think that is the charm of them.

There were a few minor issues I found, not a deal breaker and I'm not overly worried about them but wanted to mention them here. 


This big massive seam on the back of her left arm is quite visible. At first, I thought it was a crack but on closer inspection realised it was just the seam lines where the two parts joined. I am a little surprised it wasn't sanded back a little. Her right arm is not as bad and seems like it had been sanded down.


Her entire top head part has visible seams. I have only seen this on one other doll and it was my now sold Fairyland MNF Carl although on that doll, it wasn't quite as visible as on this one. Again not really anything major but it was strange to see this. Maybe the silicone mold is seeing some wear and tear?


Really massive S-hook. I changed it out for something smaller as it was a bit difficult to get the headcap back on with the small silver circle hook thing on the cap hitting the top of the S-hook. I took out the putty straight away. It was like clay and felt a bit strange.

I was disappointed that there was no Bluefairy label on the head like there usually is on other dolls. It's a shame as I find this touch quite personal, even a scratched BF inside the headcap would have been nice. I'm not sure how the older ones came though.

Another thing was no COA. I knew that going in as Bluefairy had announced the discontinuation of their COAs on their notice board. But it would have been nice if they had not come to that decision. I find COAs quite unique and personal and helps with record keeping as they tend to have the date of production on them along with the specific sculpt name and year. I would have also really liked an instruction manual on restringing these dolls but I think it's available on their website anyway. Still ... it would have been nice to have a hard copy.

I didn't get a shipping email from them. I just had to log into the site and check my order status. I did however get a email when there was a delay in shipping her out and Bluefairy did ship within the time they said they would after the delay.

I didn't really need to contact them about anything, only to let them know I had paid via their Q&A board. They were fairly quick to respond and when they replied they did inform me the doll would take about 2-3 months so I knew the wait would be a lengthy one.

I did notice they under declared my parcel which I don't really like because of insurance purposes and I didn't know that would be the case otherwise I might have mentioned not to do that.

Overall, the experience was fairly easy and smooth, the doll is beautiful with really nice quality resin and I'm pretty happy with my Bluefairy order. I would order from them again if there was another doll I wanted.


Temporary as the wig is actually Isabelle's. Still debating over the eyes. I have a tendency to pick blue, purple, light grey or green for my dolls. Her name is Yana. Still not sure how close to the original Chibi version of her I will stick with. I didn't end up sticking to the original sculpt choices either!

I think she's older than Rune by a year. She's bossier too. Still working on what sort of clothing style she will like.


Miss Bossy Boots.

10 comments:

  1. You May arrived and mine still doesn't have a name XD but at least it has a face up now haha.
    Yours is truly amazing, love BF face up, such a great classic!! Love the lips, quite bold! And I like her in brown eyes, my May havs green eyes but I've been thinking on giving those to Ailene and give Ailene's brown eyes to May.

    Also funny thing, my May is a year older than Ailene too hahaha.

    Love that she came with a carrier for you, so lucky!! It's way better than the cardboard box they sent me, and way more useful too.

    Too bad about that seam and the headcap, but luckily those aren't serious issues. I'm okay with big seamlines as long as they don't hurt me, but you could also try to sand it off a bit if needed.

    Can't wait to see her next to Rune :D
    Big Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And that's so funny that your May is a year older Ailene! Great minds huh?

      I wonder when they started sending out the actual carriers? I was expecting the cardboard box carrier too so I was surprised to find that black bag.

      The seam is pretty big but it's not sharp or anything so it's not a major issue for me at all. I was just a bit surprised that one side was done but not the other.

      I will have to take another photo of the two together. I took some on the day she arrived but they didn't really turn out that well.

      I'm ordering her a new wig though as that one in the photo belongs to Isabelle and looks way better on her. I think I am going with a blonde colour and maybe purple eyes. The green eyes are nice enough but I want to see what other colours might look good on her.

      Did you have trouble taking her head off? It took me a while because the large S-hook she came with didn't fit through the neck hole so I had to jimmy it out first before I could remove her head and had to hold the string with a thin round piece of wood so it wouldn't disappear inside her body. I put in a smaller S-Hook, one that fits through the neck hole but not sure if that's now affected her range of head movement.

      Delete
  2. She's lovely - And I really like that carry bag as well! Congratulations on having her join you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't believe it's been such a long time since my last bjd order. I'm really happy I got her although hubby can't tell the difference between her and Rune at all!

      Delete
  3. Welcome Yana and congratulations to receiving a cute little one. And that carrier is just great!

    Sorry for those small defects, but a wig and clothing will do some tricks there. Or as Alejandra suggested, some light sanding.

    Look forward to seeing more of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's still a work in progress in terms of her style and look. I've just been dragging my feet in ordering some wigs and eyes.

      Those small defects don't really bug me to be honest. I was just surprised particularly at how big that seam was. I haven't seen one like that before. The overall quality is great though. I really like the feel of Bluefairy's resin and the faces always look so adorable in photos and in person, they are even more so!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the arrival of your Blue Fairy May, it's a shame things are changing with some of the companies but as long as you are happy with the doll, that's all that really matters I guess.

    I've never really worried about seams, after all as long as they are not tan, I can usually fix it if I need to. :)

    Hope things are all well with you Alasse, I'm a bit under the pump lately (my own doing of course) but I will be back catching up with everyone soon.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I honestly wish I knew what some of these companies are thinking as some of their decisions just don't make sense to me. Maybe it's all about cutting costs as things get more expensive with each passing year.

      Things are going well. Looking forward to having a few days off at least over Christmas and New Year. It will be nice and it rained finally today. Hope it keeps up and cools things down even more! Summer heat here is horrid!

      Delete
  5. I quite like their packaging style, it seems they added so many personal touches!
    Congrats on your arrival, I also prefer the open-mouth BF girls x3 they're too cute!
    Also thanks for sharing your thoughts & feedback! I love it when people post 'honest' box openings instead of just ones where they gush over their new arrivals! Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the packaging, at least the bag is a new thing as older dolls got a cardboard bag, which looks quite nice but was made out of cardboard instead of an actual bag style. Kind of reminds me of a Yoga Mat bag!!

      Thank you! And you're welcome. I always like to know about the quality of the company's doll but also about the customer service of the company as well. It helps me to make an informed decision to buy or not to buy from them.

      Delete