In my last post, I talked a little about last year's Wonder Woman release from the Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice movie. My patience paid off and I managed to find an unopened, never removed from the box Wonder Woman doll on Ebay (and in Australia) for a really good price.
I recently watched the movie this doll is from and despite the movie getting a lot of negative reviews, I actually didn't think it was that bad. My favourite part was the Wonder Woman scenes (of course) and the big battle at the end.
What I found interesting (I watched Dawn of Justice before watching Wonder Woman's origin movie) was how different she was in both. When we see her in Dawn of Justice, she is much older and wiser whilst in her origin movie, Wonder Woman, she is still quite young and idealistic and a bit naive when it comes to the world of mortals.
The box is also different. I love the artwork on the front. I didn't take any photos of the back of the box but it featured Batman and Superman. No artwork of Wonder Woman on the back sadly.
The first thing I noticed straight away out of the box was that this version wasn't quite as solid at standing on her own as the more recent version. I had to fiddle a bit to get her to stand on her own in this pose.
Close up of her face. It's very similar to the one I have. There are very slight differences on closer inspection but the differences are so slight that it isn't a big deal and isn't really that noticeable.
The two dolls side by side. Both came with the thigh stand which I love. I wish all dolls came with this as it's so much easier to display them. Right off the bat, the shield and sword are very different. After watching the Wonder Woman movie, it makes sense now but it was something I had been curious about.The 2017 version sword is much more detailed, both on hilt and blade whereas the 2016 release is more subtle. The shield has different designs and I find the 2017 version is much more sturdy and solid and stays on a lot better than the 2016 version.
The outfit is pretty much an exact replica, no differences there (other than the 2017 version coming with a black cloak). Note that these outfits aren't designed to take off the dolls without damaging the outfit so they're not really made to be redressed.
The 2017 body is much more muscular both on arms and legs and does not have the upper arm joint. The 2016 version is the more standard MTM body with the upper arm joint. I find the upper arm joint allows her to move her shield right in front of her whereas the 2017 version doesn't really allow for her to do that because of the missing upper arm joint. I have no idea why Mattel decided to leave that out on the recent release. The 2016 version also has more noticeable seam lines on the front of the legs.
I'm really quite happy I was able to buy both versions. It was good to be able to compare them both and I love having two Wonder Woman dolls in my display cabinet.
Let's just say I'm sure this won't be the last Wonder Woman doll I get ...





Congrats on finding her and hope that your collection can slowly grow with Wonder Woman dolls. :) I like her face, soft and sweet. Like that the bodies are muscular, even if the 2016 version is, as you wrote standard body and not so muscular.
ReplyDeleteHave not seen the movie, must do so some day. I have seen a lot of merchandise though and have an urge to buy some t-shirts!
Yep, already bought the t-shirts too!! The movie was pretty good I really enjoyed it a lot. I hope you are able to see it one day.
DeleteI do like how Mattel have done these two versions, similar with some slight differences.
Oh my gosh, WW addiction starting! XD; I haven't seen either movie :O but I am tempted to watch the new WW one though!
ReplyDeleteBoth are lovely and I can't wait to see what you'll do with them x3
I know right? Love Wonder Woman so I'm really happy she finally got her own movie at last. The movie was brilliant. I really love the action sequences especially. The best superhero movie to date in my humble opinion.
DeleteCongrats on the lucky find Alasse. I like both of them and the differences in the shield etc. but the first thing I noticed when I looked at that third photo was the seam line. I wonder if there any chance of smoothing it out?
ReplyDeleteHaven't seen the movie yet, but do intend to (if I can con the old guy, though I doubt if he will go being school holidays here). May have to wait for the DVD otherwise. :)
Hugs,
X
The seam line was one of the first things I noticed too. It's really obvious. It's easy enough to remove. I've seen people use exacto knives on MH dolls to smooth away seams and moulded on underpants so the same method should work on a Barbie too. The result will be the legs will look like they've been sanded along the seams. Although I might try on one of my practice MH dolls first in case I make any mistakes.
DeleteI'd love to hear what you think when you do get to see the movie. I can't wait for the DVD so I can watch it again!