I've wanted to get a doll to be Galadriel for a while now but the idea was benched as I could never find the right sculpt for the face, I had no idea how I would get the gown other than commissioning someone, I had no idea what or how to get the crown and I would have to commission someone for the face and I have felt so reluctant to send heads out for face ups for a while now. I could try to do all those things myself but I lack talent and skill, both essential to bring her to life.
Then last week, I was browsing E-Bay and came across an Australian seller who was selling her for a really good price. The seller was also a doll collector and she had only opened the doll up and displayed her in a glass cabinet. So the doll was in really great condition.
She arrived today to much squealing (on my part). My very first Tonner Doll and I am so glad I waited for her.
She was heavier than I expected vinyl to be and much heavier than my 16inch Integrity Toys dolls. She felt solid. Which was great. And that dress. These are photos straight out of the box.
Her hair style is gorgeous, long crimped waves. They were a bit crunchy though as there was so much styling product in them.
Her brooch and crown (looking a little worse for wear). The metal looks like it's aging on the crown but that's to be expected.
Close up of the face painting which is beautiful. I love how unique this face sculpt looks. Not typical pretty but still quite elegant and stunning.
Before I decided to buy her after a very short procrastination period, I looked for owner photos of her and read a review on the doll itself. In that review, it was suggested that maybe the crown should be removed as some metals oxidized and I have read some metals also green vinyl. The reviewer also gently ran her hair under hot water without tangling or fussing over the curls too much to keep the shape. I ended up doing the same thing and as you will see from the photos below, it didn't ruin the hair style at all. I was super gentle with it though.
I also removed the crown (it was sewn in with thread so I had to carefully pick the threads out with my thread picker. I then gently washed the crown in warm soapy water, first with a wet magic eraser and then I went over it with a soft bristle toothbrush. I rinsed it off in cold water. The result was a shinier and cleaner crown. It sits quite well on her head without needing the thread that had kept it in place.
I took her outside as I always love how the photos turn out under the natural light. It was a bit of cloudy day today unfortunately but the photos still turned out fine. You can see her ring in the photo below. Sadly it's only a small stone, a lovely stone. Looks like the scale would have been too small for a replica of her ring 'Nenya'.
She has a lovely side profile too which I love but that dress is the winner for me. It's amazing and beautifully sewn. She also came with a stand that fits her like a glove. I love these stands.
She is like a single jointed doll with mobility in elbows, knees and wrists. She can twist at the waist from side to side and her chest can move from side to side. Her head doesn't appear to be able to move which is a shame. For those of you who also collect Tonner Dolls, is this the norm?
Overall, I am super impressed by her and love her. I got her as a display doll so I'm not too worried about her limited mobility. She does the basics and that is good enough for me. She does have heeled feet rather than flat feet though. I would have loved for her to have had flat feet but you can't have everything!
And she photographs beautifully. Finally, my Lady of Light is home.









Hi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteShe looks lovely, and I'm so pleased she didn't disappoint you. :) She certainly fits the name Lady of Light. The dress is gorgeous and I love her crimped hair!
Hugs,
X
She is so beautiful I am very happy with her. I love these Tonner Dolls but I don't think I'll be getting more of them as I lack the space to display them in all their finery. Luckily I managed to find a single spot for Galadriel. I'm still fiddling with the bjd display cabinet as I want to fit one more SD in there!
DeleteWow, she's gorgeous and has beautiful hair! Her face is beautiful, I love those cheekbones :-). The dress is stunning! I also love the crown. Congratulations with your first Tonner dol :-).
ReplyDeleteAbout the head: my personal experience is that after some years, when the doll hasn't been handled, the neck joint stiffens. I think that the safest way to make it supple again is to warm the neck and head thoroughly first before trying to turn it. She at least should be able to turn her head to the left and right after that treatment, and there has to be some rotation, although not very much.
But be careful, I once broke a neck joint because I hadn't heated it, it snapped right off!
I now regularly rotate the heads of my Tonner dolls to avoid the freezing of the joint, kind of like a physiotherapist :-D.
I can definitely say that I am so glad I waited for the right one to turn up. I really adore her. Thank you for the tip on the head and neck. I think that's what has happened given that the owner just had the doll on display for the entire time she had her. I thought maybe the head might have been glued on or something!
DeleteCongratulations on a splendid purchase! She is magnificent. Her dress, crown and hair are fantastic. I wonder if she is as heavy as Smart Dolls or Dollfie Dream BJDs. Yeah, if there is copper in her crown it may stain green. I love the outdoor photos. She's in her natural habitat. :)
ReplyDeleteMy favourite part is that crown. I wish I could find one for my BJD girl that isn't outside of my budget! I have seen some but they've been very expensive. I should learn how to make them myself. I don't have either Smart Dolls or Dollfie Dream. I have an Obitsu 50cm girl and she's light as a feather. I would say her weight is more in line with my YO-SD dolls and my Silkstone dolls.
DeleteWhat a beautiful doll, great purchase! Love the photos and her dress is just perfect! Congratulations! And yes, copper makes things green. Have had some jewelry, rings, that made my fingers green. So it can make the vinyl green too. I remember that I used nail polish, colorless, to keep my fingers from getting green, but that is nothing I recommend on dolls or their jewelry!!
ReplyDeleteHopefully her jewellery doesn't go green! Fingers crossed as I use her as a display doll. She is gorgeous though so she's forgiven even if it does turn green!
DeleteWonderful doll. Her face is so beautiful and the dress and crown are stunning.
ReplyDeleteI have one Tonner Tyler doll and I was quite disapointed how little of mobility she has despite she has some joints.
Her head doesn't move a lot at all which is a shame. I would have thought these dolls given their price would have more mobility but sadly, not so. Mine has some joints but they're quite simple.
Delete