Monday, 26 November 2018

Akagidoll Lan

When I saw Alice's Collections had an in stock Akagidoll Lan head in the same colour as the body I got AND for only $25 usd, well ... it was a no brainer. Plus I was curious to see how big the original heads made for these bodies were.


Detailing on these dolls, both head and body are pretty amazing. The lips even have tiny lines sculpted on them like real lips have. The resin is lovely too. Here is Lan on the 66cm Version 2 Akagidoll body.




More view with the clothing. The head looks big but the features to me seem to balance out the body pretty well.


Now let's compare with Cosmo. Wow. Did not realise the original head is actually much bigger. However, maybe it's the pointed chin or as hubby says, placement of the eyes but the Lan head looks like it goes with this body but Cosmo somehow looks a little off on the body. Lan has great head mobility too I should mention compared to the very limited mobility of the Cosmo head on this body.

I will get Lan faced up by an artist as I really don't think much of my own abilities in that area. But if he steals the body, he will have to be a completely different character. And I should say, resin match with the in stock head is perfect, 100% which means it seems Akagidoll's normal resin at least is consistent. Plus not sure how long the in stock head has been there but it looks as new as the body so ... pretty darn perfect match.

Hope everyone's week is starting out better than mine! We are experiencing a heatwave here and the air is so oppressive right now. Hope this weather passes.

17 comments:

  1. We just passed a heatwave here, so I feel your suffering. I bet it's even harder in Australia than it is here.
    The head is very pretty and looks great in the body, and the price was just a steal! I'm sad to see Cosmo bodyless again, but this head works better and I'm sure you'll make a great character out of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Further south there are really bad bush fires at the moment. The heatwave is horrendous.

      Don't worry, I am looking around for a cool bust for Cosmo so he can still be on displayed and still be able to get lots of portrait shots. I saw one from a relatively new company but it was something like $300usd! Yikes! But it was a pretty awesome looking bust.

      I'm still debating whether I will get this head faced up or get the original head I was going to get from Akagi with the company face up as I really adore the company face up on their Shi Xia sculpt. I don't know yet. I have to wait until next year though as I just spent a lot of money on myself buying new clothes and accessories (first time in 5 years!). I figured it was time to change my wardrobe style. My dolls are always getting cool clothes so it was about time I treated myself for once!

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry about the bush fires! Here it happens during summer too and it's horrendous.
      I'm happy you got yourself some new clothes and accessories! It's great to spoil our dolls but we can't forget ourselves in the way. I need to get me some clothes too, but I'm waiting to drop a bit of weight first. Not because I'm hoping to fit a certain size, but more like I don't want them to look baggy in 4 months haha.
      It's funny you are considering an SD bust, I've been thinking that if I ever love an SD doll enough ti get it, it might be my best option to get it a bust and just display it and take portrait shots :)
      I look forward to see what you decide to do with the akagi body

      Delete
  2. Hm, I think it's because of the bigger forehead and the lower placement of eyes Lan's head seems smaller. Cosmo's bigger eyes and longer nose makes his head look longer. And if you have 66 cm ver. II body its chest is quite narrow so that's why the head looks a bit off. I don't know they made such a small chest while most bodies of similar height have at least 27-28 cm.
    Anyway, Lan's head is really nice although he looks a bit drowsy, probably because of droopy eyelids. On the other hand his upturned nose gives him the look of a prankster. Poor Cosmo, it would be unfair if he became a floating head again. However I'd love to see Lan with faceup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at the small chest too. I like it though. But then again, I've always preferred the tall, lanky boy dolls (like my Dollshe Saint who is by far the tallest and lankiest of my boys). I feel I can handle them a lot more than say an Iplehouse boy who is broader and overall more muscle and buff.

      Cosmo will have a bust to be displayed on so he'll still be able to get portrait shots done and I can always stick him on the Soom body from time to time to get more dynamic shots of him. I can at least get him onto the Soom body a lot easier than I can on the Akagi body.

      I just have to decide on a face up artist for Lan. I will probably end up using my regular artist as I adore her work a lot and she's already painted 4 of my dolls.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to seeing the new head with it's faceup, I find it so hard to visualise with blank heads. Alice Collection has some great bargains sometimes, don't they! I have a YOSD sized head on it's way as we speak, it was an impulse buy but at $18 I thought it was criminal NOT to actually buy it! Now of course I need a body, faceup etc....but hey ho, it'll be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a MSD dollfamily practice head from them for $20usd last year. They have such great prices for the practice heads although it is still blank. I got specifically just to practice face ups on so I don't need a body but in case I ever wanted it, it can always share the Luts KDF body I have that is Ghost Maska's original body.

      But you are right, it's so hard to resist when the head is that price! I can't wait to see which body you end up going with for your YOSD head.

      I like to see the blank photos to be honest of the sculpts. It lets me see the actual sculpt I will be getting. I got a doll once cause I fell in love with the face up but I had to get it removed at one stage and I hated the actual sculpt when it was blank. So now, I purchase based on the blank photo and ignore the face ups ... usually. Although not all companies provide blank photos sadly.

      Delete
  4. That's like comparing a son to his father Alasse, but I see what you mean. You were lucky to find a head at that price, isn't a nice feeling when you bag a bargain. :) I shall look forward to seeing his character once his face up is done.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new head IS so much younger looking I feel. I think I will probably go with a more dramatic, darker face up on him than light and natural. I have an idea for his character, pinched directly from one of my very own 'Sim' stories that I wrote for one of my Sims 2 characters.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new addition to your dolly-crew. I like Lan proportions more than Cosmo, I think. But I always like big heads :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lan's proportions definitely balance out the body a lot better than Cosmo even though Cosmo's face is so lovely. I think it's my own fault that I never purchased the full doll so now I'm having to deal with this issue that I don't think will ever be resolved. But live and learn.

      By the way Balbinka, do you have a blog?

      Delete
  6. Yup, Lan definitely looks younger and somehow... better on this body. Poor Cosmo, I hope one day he will have a perfect body for his own, buuuut now I'm really curious, how Lan's faceup will look like and what kind of character he will be.
    Here we currently have some kind of frost wave ;). Still no snow, but the temperature at night drops to - 8 grad Celsius...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cosmo's age goes against him too in terms of resin match because he's just going to continue to age and yellow and he's already 8 years ahead of the Akagidoll body! Although he's a great match resin wise with the Soom body.

      Ah, I can't even begin to imagine cold weather here...

      Delete
  7. Congrats! New head is very nice. I'm not sure which one of them looks better, truly. I agree that Lan looks much younger. I'm looking forward to see the face up. :)
    Chiriann is right. We have so cold weather now. We had even -15 C here... I hate when it's so cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will be until next year for the face up sadly. I don't want to post during the festive season because mail gets bogged down so much. I need to figure out whether he's going to join the Fantasy or Urban-Fantasy crew.

      I would love the cold. I hate being hot!

      Delete
  8. That is a perfect match and a much softer face, too. But I know that I am more into soft faces. :)
    Congrats on getting the head!
    Our winter weather is on and then off. It has been really gray and foggy for a week now. Then it suddenly gets cold, slippery and snowy, just to switch again to rain...Hope for some sunny days soon, so that I can take some photos. It is so dark during the foggy days.
    Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how it fits on the body and I like that he has a bit of a sleepy look to his face. The weather here has been crazy. Last week we had a heatwave and this week, it's rain. Who knows what this coming week will bring.

      Delete