Monday, 10 December 2018

"I love a good mystery..."

The Doctor is in. **cue theme music here**

My Doctor Who barbie from Mattel finally arrived. I am so stoked I was able to pre-order her and that she was available to order through a local Australia shop, Zing. This rarely happens here so it was a bonus as I shop at Zing a lot and I know they have good customer service and tracking!

She was about $100 AUD which is the most I've ever paid for a Barbie. But I've wanted a Doctor Who doll for a while now and since I missed out on the Tenth Doctor doll (by a different brand), this came at a great time. And boy did I hit that pre-order button quicker than you could say, 'Tardis'.

On to the main event ...


"Don't worry, I've got a plan."




This one was taken with my phone rather than my normal camera. This was after I had got her out of her clear box. I love the backdrop she is secured to. I was careful when removing her as I wanted to keep that backdrop for photo purposes.

Right out of the box, her hair was gelled to the nines, seriously that thing was not gonna move. So of course, I washed the gel out. It took a lot longer than usual because of the amount of gel in that hair. But I did it and I love how soft her hair felt afterwards. And it now falls naturally.



I also was not expecting her body to be able to pose ... it does. In fact, she is on a as yet unreleased as far as I know Made to Move tall, slender body. It has the one piece body though so no "joints" in the chest but the rest is standard made to move. Awesome. I wonder if they made this body specifically for her because of her body shape not fitting into the standard Barbie shapes.

The clothing is pretty well made for Mattel, nice fabric too and a great replica of her actual outfit. I love that her face is a completely different sculpt to what's out there already. I also think it does bear a likeness to the actress who plays the New Doctor. 

Light was fading fast and it was already a gloomy rainy day so I was only able to take two final snaps in front of the Christmas tree. I like that she looks like she is smirking a little in that last one.



"I need oil, water, tree bark, a saucepan, nine containers, an old newspaper, a touch of ox spit, a chicken poo and a biscuit." ~ from Demons of the Punjub

 

16 comments:

  1. Huge congrats!!! She's very pretty and very unique for sure!!! I love her lips, it does looks like a smile in the last photo, it looks great! I have no idea about Doctor Who so I'm not sure how accurate everything is. so I'll trust your words. I'm glad she was totally worth your money. Hope I'll see more of her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with her and pleasantly surprised she turned out so well given how hit and miss Mattel have been lately. I do have to give them props for doing a good job with her.

      Delete
  2. Although I know nothing about Doctor Who, I think the doll is pretty nice. Ah, the gel... It seems they've got tons of it so maybe they have to use it all up before it spoils or something. ;) The clothes look great but pity they didn't give her chest joint. If I had more money to spend I would buy the new Scully because I really like her face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gel I would call the Gel of Doom. Seriously that hair was not moving anywhere. It had to go. I don't mind the lack of chest joint to be honest. It didn't really do anything I found on the MTM body. Maybe moved them side to side a little but nothing I would miss. As long as her arms and legs had the joints, I'm pretty happy. Oh yes, that Scully one is really nice. I saw her on Barbie Collector but they don't ship overseas. I don't recall seeing her on the Mattel website though but I haven't really looked.

      Delete
  3. I watched Doctor Who many years ago and I don't know the last series, but the doll is super cute. I like how Mattel made her unique face-mold. The gel-helmet is typical for Mattel latey. Couple of months ago I bought a playline Barbie for my Little Monster Number 2 - and this doll also had gel-helmet. But it was quite fun for Little Monster to gave Barbie real bath :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's such an interesting face, very different from the others they have. That's a very good word for it. Gel Helmet. Lucky it's easy to wash out.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new arrival, she looks pretty awesome despite the gel, but the thing is it kept her style in place during her travels, and it was nothing that a shampoo couldn't fix. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there. It did come out in the end and I am much happier with how free her hair looks now. I am really happy with her. A lot more than I expected mostly because Mattel is hit and miss a lot these days.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new doll! I think she is so unique and I love that! And her clothes look really great.
    I hate the tons of gel too... It looks disgusting. And it really doesn't make the hair style look better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they put so much on, they must use a whole tube of it! I'm pretty happy with her.

      Delete
  6. She's great and I think she does look quite like the actress who plays her. And yes the outfit looks spot on, which is great.
    I hate that gel stuff, it's horrible, but Nana Arima could be right, they have to use it up before it goes off!!
    I look forward to seeing more photos of her. And I particularly like the last photo :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an amazing doll, a lot better than I expected from Mattel particularly lately with all the quality control issues I've been seeing on dolls people are getting. So I'm happy she made it through in such good condition.

      Delete
  7. She looks fantastic! I was very curious how the Doctor doll is going to look in reality (not on the company photos), and she really turned out great! Love her hairstyle (without Gel of Doom ;)) and clothes... I have yet to see the last Dr Who series, but I have the feeling that it will just as good as the doll of the main heroine ;). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gel of Doom is such a great name for it! There is a new show runner for this latest Doctor Who series and the stories have been pretty good. Although sad they aren't having a Christmas special like they normally do but they are doing a New Year one instead. As long as there aren't Cybermen or Daleks as they've been done to death for those specials, I'll be happy.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! She is really a beautiful doll! I can understand that you pressed the pre-order button fast. The gel-thing, I really do not understand why they put that in there. I usually wash that out too. Those dolls I have not done that, get a rather messy hair after a while...or sticky. And she is really smirking in the last one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it's the worst with Monster High dolls, it gets sticky really fast and really often. I know they have to put glue in there to hold the hair strands in place but really, a tube of the stuff?

      Delete