It took me two days and one false start but I was able to finally complete Amaryll's outfit. I went into it with a specific idea of what I wanted and ended up with something that was completely different but I like way better. I learned so much about sewing with this outfit. It's not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement but I'm happy with my end result. I will try and make this again with better finishes at some stage. I also made her necklace and head piece. Her bracelets are actually fashion rings meant for humans but works perfectly for doll scale.
I'm just so happy that I was able to make something myself. I used no pattern for this but was inspired by the blue outfit worn by Guinevere in the 2004 movie 'King Arthur'.
Music Playlist: Song of the North (Alt. Version) ~ BrunuhVille
The finished outfit without accessories. And some close up details of the trims I used on the dress.
Complete with accessories and jewellery. I hadn't planned on white and gold as a colour scheme but I think the gold really pops with her resin and dress. My idea for her accessories - I had this theme in my mind of the Sun and wanted to use pendants that to me reminded me of the Sun - that bright orb in the sky that provides warmth and brightness.
I recently purchased this Medieval Kirtle Pattern from Ancient OOAK on Etsy for a dress I have in mind for my Western Queen, Astrid but I needed an underdress as I plan on making a surcoat to go over the top and a head accessory for her. I wanted to try out this pattern on some fabric I have in my stash before I make it on the actual fabric I want the dress in. What an amazingly easy pattern to follow. This dress was so easy to assemble and I would think alterations and changes could also be done easily too which I plan to do at some point. I printed this out at 87% as my girl is only 52cm tall and not the 60cm the pattern is made for and the fit is not bad. It's a bit big in the back but I can fix that but perfect around her chest area.
The only thing is I will have to remember to make the sleeves a bit wider so her hands will fit through. I had to remove her hands to get this on as it is currently. I can also make the gores a bit skinner to make the skirt section less full if I wanted to. Again, I learned so much sewing this one. I already had an idea about gores as I've been looking at how a medieval gown is constructed. But I do feel like I accomplished a lot and learned a lot.
Plus my sewing machine and I are friends again so it's great that I really don't have to handsew much - maybe the neck line but everything else is done by machine so I know at least the stitching is secure. I was a bit more vigilant with the finishes on this one so everything looked neater.
I of course had to finish with my Advisor and the Queen. As you can see, my Western Queen is a petite little thing. Then again, Amaryll's people are pretty tall.
Well that's my adventures in sewing these past two days. I have a few more outfits to figure out tomorrow as I'm moving and shifting characters around.
Happy Thursday!









WOW you did amazingly with both of these outfits. And to think you didn't even have a pattern for the first one! Well done on such great outfits.
ReplyDeleteHugs xx
Thank you. I had a lot of fun making the outfits and I learned a lot which is good as I've been so afraid of sewing for the longest time now. I think the idea of it seemed so overwhelming but once I sat down to actually do it, it didn't seem as "big" as I had made it in my head if that makes sense!
DeleteFantastic work! Most of the outfits that I make for my dolls have similar origin - they start as something very different from the final form ;). But your both dresses are lovely (especially Amaryll's - I love the sleeves and jewelery).
ReplyDeleteThank you! I feel like the freedom to be able to make your own outfits for your dolls means you can get it closer to how you picture your characters rather than having to rely on what's available.
DeleteI am so proud of you Alasse! You have done a wonderful job of their outfits and the accessories work really well with both dolls. Now there is no stopping you. :)
ReplyDeleteBig hugs,
X
I feel like I was able to finally accomplish something that I liked enough not to want to throw away in a fit of frustration. And I had fun doing it which was the important thing and learning a lot of new techniques while I was at it. I just need to learn more about my sewing machine. I know only the simple basics! Thank you for your encouragement. It helped me to just get in there and give it a go.
DeleteI have already seen white gown on Instagram and you did a great job! I think it's absolutely perfect for Amaryll. :) And the second dress for Astrid is already looking good. I know the final dress will be great. :)
ReplyDeleteI was really surprised at myself with the white gown. It just kind of evolved a lot during the whole process from what I had thought of originally. I liked that about this dress. Astrid's draft dress turned out better than I expected. I have a lighter colour that I plan to use as it's the underdress. I've been researching about Surcoats as I have to design the pattern piece for this myself. I'm hoping to sew it later this week now that I have washed and ironed all my fabrics ready to go.
DeleteBoth outfits look amazing! Well done and you should be proud of yourself! Happy to hear that you and your sewing machine are friends again!
ReplyDeleteOh using my machine is so much faster than handsewing. I mean I love handsewing because I find it therapeutic but for large pieces like these, I think machine sewing is the way to go and it gives a stronger result than my handsewing ever could.
Delete