Author's Note: I wanted to get one more part up while I am able to. We change location and take a peek in Caizar where we are introduced to a new character. Astrid. A well known tracker for hire.
Soundtrack: Fantasy Tavern Ambience - Daydreaming of Persephone
The meeting place wasn't known for its fine food or fancy drinks, but rather for its unsavoury clientele and the discretion of the barkeep. It was the ideal place for a clandestine meeting. The noise of the tavern provided protection from listening ears. Astrid studied the woman across from her. Draped in a servant's garment, a black veil covered the top part of her face. Despite the appearance, the woman moved as though used to authority. She gave no indication of dislike to her surroundings. Instead, she slid the pouch across the table.
Astrid peeked inside. Gold coins rattled within, clinking together like music. She hefted its weight in her hands. There was enough in there to buy her own tavern if she desired it.
"The rest will be paid on delivery of the boy." the woman's voice was smooth. It was hard to discern the expression on her face. Astrid hadn't bothered to ask her name. She doubted the woman would readily give it.
"Can you describe him to me?" she asked.
"I can do better than that." a slip of precious paper appeared on the table's surface. Astrid's eyes narrowed. A noble woman then. Only those wealthy enough could afford such luxuries. Astrid picked up the paper and carefully opened it. A drawing of a boy with wide eyes and a half smile. His long hair bound behind him, a simple circlet adorned his head. She gazed closer at the boy's face. Where had she seen that face before?
"There will be a servant boy with him." the woman's voice interrupted her thoughts. "I want you to make sure that servant does not return with the boy."
At that, Astrid's head snapped up. "I'm a tracker, not an assassin."
The woman gave a soft laugh. The sound sent shivers creeping along the nape of Astrid's neck.
"Oh, but I know you are much more than you seem." the woman's lips slid upwards in a small smile, a dangerous smile. Something about that smile froze what response Astrid was about to make. Instead, she cleared her throat and looked away.
"Let's say an accident happened to this servant along the way ... it will cost extra."
"Of course. I would expect no less." another pouch appeared.
"In that case, I think we have a deal."
The woman rose and turned to leave, but not before one last warning.
"Those who fail me do not like the consequences. Good hunting." With that, the woman left, disappearing into the crowd.
Astrid stared after her and frowned. "What have I got myself into this time." she murmured to herself. A feeling of unease settled into the pit of her belly. If Asher were here, he'd call her a greedy fool. She couldn't say she didn't agree.
-------to be continued-------


Love to read your stories. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteI'm really curious what will happen next.
Thank you for reading! I'm enjoying writing the story. It's been good to get back into it after such a long break. I think the last part was posted back in 2020 some time!
DeleteKeep up the writing Alasse, we are enjoying your stories! :)
ReplyDeleteBig hugs,
X
Thank you for reading them. I know they take a while usually to get out. Just on a roll right now. Plus it keeps me distracted.
DeleteEnjoyable story... I hope you will find the time to continue.
ReplyDeleteI am sure I will, it will just take a little time. RL stuff happening at the moment. And still sets to build.
DeleteWhat a fascinating story! I can't wait for the next chapter! You should write a book and publish it. And I love the phots. It really looks like a dark corner of a tavern and Astrid is so lovely with her red hair.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words. I actually have a manuscript I have been working on for a while - not this story, another fantasy story. Maybe one day I will submit it and see what happens. In the meantime, doing these stories keeps me in the writing game.
DeleteOhh this is great! Can't wait for the next one! Also, the photos are so on point!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading! I have to put together a sort of set for the next one which will take a bit.
DeleteThe story is taking very interesting turn... I'm sure this will not be an easy hunt for Astrid. Your photos really add the darker vibe to this chapter!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading. You are very right. Astrid will find it more difficult than she imagines. Ydros has companions now.
DeleteThanks for reading. Astrid will find no doubt it won't be as easy as she thinks to bring Prince Ydros back.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. Yo do write very well. The pace is calm and the dialog intriguing. The photos make it more deeper and darker. Will be interesting to read more.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words. I admit to getting frustrated with having to work with limited props and sets so I usually have to try and come up with something that gives the atmosphere I want.
Delete