Monday, 10 April 2023

The World of Deirdre Quinn

I had my big surgery on Tuesday, was in hospital for 3 days and got home Friday afternoon. I am in a bit of pain but taking it easy. Resting a lot but still able to walk around a little bit. It will take a while before I am back to normal. The doctors say 3 months at least. I can't really sit at my computer for long so I am working on my laptop as I sit in my lounge chair. I won't be able to post as much for a little bit but when I am well enough, I will be able to continue with the stories.

Today's quick post is about Deirdre, one of my longest residents here. She is an AOD Qian with a custom face up by Xhanthi. This doll is dear to my heart. As most of you already know, AOD and DOD are companies that initiated my love for these dolls. 

Deirdre has had her name for a while now. She probably had other names before but this one has stuck around for several years, the same goes for her red hair. Her eyes have had several changes until I decided on the ones she wears now (picture below).

Her brief bio says that she is the owner of the Wayward Inn Cafe where she makes very tasty treats that tend to cheer up the consumer even with just a single bite.  

A bit of background: Deirdre was born in the late 15th Century to farmers. She is a survivor of a devastating pandemic that took the lives of her entire family and village as well as thousands of other people, commoners and nobles alike. That she fell ill with the same disease but survived is rare. Technically she died but 'awoke' three days later in a mass grave for those who had died. She literally had to crawl out of her own grave and begin her new life in the world. 

She has lived through many centuries, watched those she cared about live and die while she remained. She has no idea why she survived but whatever happened changed the very nature of her genetic makeup. She is immune to most illnesses and has heightened senses, able to commune with the very earth itself and the natural world around her. This led to her training as a druid a century later. Also around when she met Emrys, a man who became her everything. Of course, not being immortal, he eventually passed away and Deirdre has been waiting for him to reincarnate since. 

Which thankfully he did in the form of Nikolas, the man she is currently engaged to. Deirdre recognised him straight away although Niko has no memory of his past life as a fellow Druid or of her. However, he has always noticed her since he moved to the Portside town of New Port. He also has no idea why he moved to the town, only that he felt compelled to do so. The two dated for two years before Nikolas proposed to her. Their wedding is set to take place in 6 months.


DEIRDRE THROUGH THE YEARS:

The different stylings for Deirdre over the past 12 years. The dark hair didn't last long. She was switched out to red hair not long after this photo was taken.


That is the story of Deirdre. She is somehow immortal due to the disease she suffered in the 15th Century which changed her. She ages but slowly. Perhaps she will die too eventually, it'll just take a lot longer for her than most other people.

She has also featured heavily in other short stories I've written namely, "Watcher of the Dreaming." which happens after her final mortal death and in the world of the Dreaming which is a place that exists between the world of the living and the world of the dead. 

"Chasing Shadows." is another short story I've written which features her reincarnation a century after her death. And she also makes an appearance in  'GUINEVERE', a scifi story set in the future. She is the model for a AI program that learns and adapts.

So there you have it. A short-ish history of the character behind this doll.


Sidenote: If you post a comment and it doesn't appear, please be aware that if a post is older than 7 or 15 days, I can't remember which one, comments go into a moderation queue waiting for approval. 


16 comments:

  1. I like her very much :D Happy holidays :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you had a good easter break.

      Delete
  2. I am late with my happy holiday wishes, so sorry. I hope you will feel better soon! Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a good Easter break. Thank you. Taking it one day at a time.

      Delete
  3. Red hair are definitely the best for her. And 12 years - wow, that's long. My oldest doll is 7. Her story is very interesting. I hope the post surgery pain is gone soon. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love her with the red hair a lot. I've been in the hobby for 15 years now. Time flies!! Thank you. I am taking it slow every day. Can't drive for 6 weeks so that means I am home bound right now.

      Delete
  4. I hope you will feel better soob and the pain will subside! Just take a lot of rest and take care of yourself!
    Deirdre is beautiful and red hair are just perfect for her. She's somehow melancholic on all the photos - no wonder, if you live for so many years, watchning the world changing and loved ones going away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am taking it slow. Netflix is my best friend right now. So many shows to watch. Plus I really love this shade of red on her too.

      Delete
  5. Finally back at the computer and happy to see you posting. The story of Dierdre is an interesting one Alasse and it was good to see her evolving photos. Looking forward to seeing her wedding. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I would have to sew a wedding dress and that will take a while! I have a basic design in mind but it will have to wait until I can sit properly for a longer period. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  6. Thank you. I hope are getting better too! AOD have that old school aesthetic that I really like. Sadly my quota for big dolls here is well and truly over the limit so I can't get more big dolls unless I sell off my current ones. Deirdre is a favourite doll here. Even if she doesn't get as much time in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the recovery won't be bad. Keep my fingers crossed.

    Deirde is one of my favourite characters in your crew. She is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovery is just going really slowly. One day I think I am starting to feel good and the next my body likes to remind me that I'm really not. Deirdre has been with me for so long now, can't imagine my collection without her!

      Delete
  8. Hope that you are recovering well. 3 months is a long time.
    Deidre is so beautiful. It was nice to read about her. I am amazed with the great backgrounds and stories your dolls have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The external side of the recovery takes about 8 weeks but the internal stuff takes 3 months to completely heal. But everyone recovers at different rates. Some other people have said they are still recovering at 11 months!!

      Thank you. I try to bring my dolls to life where I can. Deirdre in particular has such a rich background because she has been here the longest so I've had more time to think about it.

      Delete