Saturday, 12 September 2015

Busy Little Squirrel

I've been a bit obsessed lately with plushies. I had heard about them but never really looked into them until I picked up a pattern from Gingermelon, specifically this pattern. I still have a bit of work to do to figure out the errors but these are my first drafts:


Obviously they are not perfect. The bunny was the first attempt and there's a few issues. The bear is my second attempt and was a lot more stable but still having a few issues with attaching the paw parts. On the bright side, I learned what a fell stitch was and I am really loving the blanket stitch. Because the pieces are so tiny, they are all made using handsewing.

They're also ideal for Pullip size dolls.



This next project is my blue dragon using this tutorial by TammyHallam. I am making a few slight changes. Her dragon has just one piece for the ear wings and arms but I am making four pieces and lightly stuffing mine. I also did my dragon's face using embroidery thread although I'm investigating where to get some safety eyes from as I think they look quite cute and would be neat to use on some plushies.


He gets shoved into this little jar when I am not working on him because the pieces are so tiny, I need to keep them somewhere safe.

I want to make a totoro plushie but the pattern I have is for a big one so I am thinking of re-sizing to a smaller size and making it for doll size.


I found this colourful fun yarn at the local Lincraft a week ago and thought it would make a neat crochet sweater for Eve. It's so soft too which I love.


And last but not least, this gorgeous lace was on a dress that I had but sadly, the dress kind of fell apart so I decided to reuse the lace for a skirt for Eve. All the pieces have been cut to size so I just need to sew it all together. I'm still debating over using a wide ribbon or a wide elastic for the waistband part. I'm using a tutorial meant for humans for this skirt as a rough guide.

I tend to do this a lot because I really dislike having to make patterns (and I'm not good at it anyway). When I feel the urge to sew, I just want to start sewing and don't want to mess around with having to do up a pattern first.

I do all my doll/craft sewing by hand (thanks to my friend who showed me how relaxing handsewing can be plus she's a big inspiration to me). That and I just fight with my sewing machine whenever I try to use it so handsewing is the better option although I will most likely use the machine if I end up making skirts for myself because it's quicker and I'd be using a lot more fabric!

I also recently discovered a website that I wanted to share that has some really neat ways of making some clothing pieces which can be easily translated to doll size. It's called MADE. Most of the tutorials just use simple measurements to cut out fabric pieces or use existing clothing to trace out pattern pieces. Simple, quick and still with good results. Just the way I like it. It's got to be easy to understand because sometimes for me, sewing is a whole other language!

8 comments:

  1. Sewing is hard~! Though it's fun when you finally get something made you wanted ~ x3 I've been trying a bit here and there! I also have no idea how to use patterns ._.
    I adore plushies and felt plushies are adorable~ :D Hope you can show more of your work in that department in the future.
    Perhaps I can send you some kawaii fabrics from Taiwan since their fabric markets are so so amazing D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when things turn out which is rare for me but when it does, I always feel a bit accomplished because I made it myself. I can't really read most patterns either. I bought a pattern for a three tier skirt for myself and can't make sense of the darn thing at all!

      I envy the markets you have there. What sort of fabric patterns do they have? I wish blogspot had a private message function so you could send people your email address. Someone asked me to email them recently but I only know them through their blog so I have no idea where to email them.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't treid to sew, but it's so hard, specially hand sewing, since it has to look super neat and I'm not neat XD
    Your plushies ended super cute despise all the problems you say they had :) they are very nice! specially for the size!

    That lace looks lovely for a skirt, I'll be waiting for photos of it and the dragon :D

    Thanks for including the tutorials as well !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could use my machine more but it keeps stuffing up the stitches. It's brand new so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it so I can't figure it out. But handsewing is one of those things I really admire.

      They are so tiny. I should take a photo of them next to something so you can see the actual size of them. I'm going to try to make a few more and try to perfect the stitches.

      You're welcome. I find tutorials like those really helpful and bonus that they can be readily translated to doll size.

      Delete
  3. Those plushies look really cute, especially for first attempts! I've never tried making any plushies even though I've sewn clothes and stuff for years, I feel like plushies would be the hardest thing to make ^^;

    Oh I think I have the same lace, or at least something very similar! That kind of laces make really cute skirts and dresses, often there's no need for making patterns either ^^ Can't wait to see how the skirt ends up looking~

    I hope to see more of your work in the future as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doll plushies are so tiny, all the pieces can be easily lost (which is why I have mine in a tiny jar after I cut them out). Once you get the hang of the stitches, they come together fairly easily, it's just keeping those stitches even and hiding the loose threading that can be a bit tricky.

      That lace because it has edging like that means no need to hem which is nice and it doesn't fray either.

      I'll be sure to pose Eve modelling the skirt once it's finished. I'm curious to see how it will look on her too!

      Delete
  4. Very cute Alasse, I'm pleased you are being adventurous and attempting something new. I rather like your use of buttons for eyes, it gives them a primitive look. :)

    The yarn is very pretty, I can't wait to see Eve's sweater when it's finished. I too have similar lace, it makes up into lovely dresses.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember when I started or why but I have this large jar full of buttons so it's nice to find a use for them. I just wish I could find the pattern I used to have for a cloth doll with buttons for her hair. She was the cutest thing. I made one and I think I gave her to a friend years ago. I wish I had made another one for myself!

      I seem to buy nice looking yarn all the time which is a bad thing as I now have a big box full of yarns I bought for projects but never got around to use. I keep saying I will make granny squares and stitch them all up together to make a big blanket one day.

      Delete