I did manage to finish Eve's skirt but I'm not happy with it yet. The wide elastic I used was really stiff and didn't sit right on her waist. It would pop out the front in a weird way so I am pulling her skirt apart and redoing it with a softer elastic.
I have finished some things over the past few days.
The dragon plushie is done. I ended up not stuffing the arms or ears and going with how he was supposed to be originally. Sewing around the arms, ears and horns were a bit of a pain so I would probably look at changing how those bits come together to make it less of a hassle. The prototype is not bad but not perfect.
I also found a cute little pattern of a basic plushie (hubby says it's the gingerbread man). I was much happier with how that one turned out. There were no instructions for this one (the instruction page was missing), so it was basically figure it out yourself.
I also found this super easy shirt tutorial that I used to make Isabelle's new shirt. I had found this neat fabric recently at the local craft store and thought it looked similar to the fabric of Charlie's shirt however, it's a heavier fabric and duller in colour compared to his.
The finished shirt which came together fairly easily compared to the first sweater shirt attempt I tried to do. (all handsewn).
Isabelle models the shirt on. I made the collar a tad too big but oh well. It looks okay on her.
This is the first sweater shirt attempt. I used new socks for that one. I wish craft stores would sell those kind of fabrics here. This first sweater was bascially "figure it all out myself" so it was great to use for a first draft. So by the time I did the second attempt using the fabric, I had a better idea of how the parts went together to make the whole.
For both shirts, I didn't use a pattern but used an existing shirt I had and traced a rough pattern out of that on the fabric.
I'm thinking I might start up a folder/book for my first draft sewing projects and detail how it came together and where all the issues/problem areas were and solutions to get around that. I would put the finished draft pieces in there for examples. That way if I don't end up sewing for a while and I forget some things, I can refer to the book on how I did it the first time around. My biggest hurdles tend to be sleeves, zippers and button holes.
Also the finished draft pieces can be put to good use rather than being binned. And I should put fabric samples in there too. I'm pretty new at sewing so I don't really know about fabrics all that well yet.
I waited all day but finally my Luts order was delivered. (This is the third time in a row that I have ordered wigs from Luts and then they've had a wig sale a few days after!!)
Isabelle's new wigs and eyes. I like the darker blue eyes on her but I also wanted something lighter and brighter. And this is the wig I've been eyeballing for a while now for her. I really like the colour on her. The style is growing on me.
Started on Eve's crochet sweater. It's probably going to take a while as I have to do the front and back and then the sleeves and then attach them all together.
A project I started on this morning. A no pattern Totoro. I'm going out tomorrow to source some safety eyes (hopefully the local craft stores have them) so I can't really do much more on this one until the face is done. I am following this tutorial.
And that's the round up for today. More photos to come as Josef got his wig finally after a very long wait.







Sorry to hear that Eve's skirt didn't turn out the way you wanted :( Hope re-doing the elastic helps!
ReplyDeleteThose plushies and shirts look great, I especially love the shirt made of that cross fabric :) It can be a bit challenging to find sweater fabrics here too, at least ones that would work best for doll clothes and not be too stiff. The idea of a sewing folder/book sounds good and might be really helpful to you for future reference!
Isabelle's new eyes and wig are pretty! ♥ And that Totoro looks really adorable so far, can't wait to see it finished :3
I think I used the wrong type of elastic (maybe it works better on humans?). I managed to pick up some better elastic today so I think that will help.
DeleteThanks! That cross shirt is the first piece I've made that I've actually been happy enough with for my dolls to wear rather than binning it. I'm notorious for binning stuff I make. I live in a regional area which makes things twice as hard to get and not as easily accessible.
I've been wanting a Totoro for a while now so I'm glad I can make it myself. If it turns out, I might try and make the big version for my sister's son. It is nice to finally have Isabelle wearing a wig that isn't trying to eat her!!
Yay for new plushies, they keep looking better and better!
ReplyDeleteThe shirts look great specially the one with the crosses, and it suits your doll so much too~
The eyes and wig are super cute and they match and look wonderful for Isabelle :)!!!
Your crochet project is looking great so far! I started learning crochet yesterday and it has been quite the adventure XD hope I don't give up half way :)
Thank you! They are a lot of fun to make I have to admit. I like the decorative stitches that are used to make them quite a bit. I was rather surprised that the shirt looked good on Isabelle but Arianna may end up wearing it when she gets back from the face up artist. It's more her style than Izas'.
DeleteI just have to figure out her fashion style now. It's neverending with these dolls!
Oh that is so great to hear! How are you finding crochet? Oh, I self taught myself through Youtube videos. If you go that site, search for "Crochet for Beginners" and there will be a heap of videos that you might find useful. And if you're wanting to learn a particular stitch, just search for the stitch name, for example, treble crochet and you'll find videos that show you how to do it. I'm a very visual person so I like to see how it's done to understand it.
Let me know how you go with crochet and I'd love if you posted progress photos if you get time (and want to).
Thanks for the sugestion, I'll check the videos! So gar I've been trying basic stuff and it's been fun :) I made a square thata ctually looks like a square and now I'm trying to do something with thinner yarn, which ended being more difficult but it also looks way prettier, still practicing the basics :D
DeleteIf I ended up doind a project with it I'll definitelly post something on my blg, for now I keep "destroying" what I do and start again with the same yarn (I'm using leftovers from my mother's projects XD)
Those granny squares are fun to do. If you make enough of them, you can stitch them together to make a bag for yourself or a blanket (but you'd need a lot of squares for a blanket!)
DeleteWhen I started crocheting, I started with a really simple beginner's scarf. That way you are practicing the same stitch over and over and it eventually gets drilled into you. If you do a search for Beginner's Crochet Scarf, you should get some nice simple patterns / videos. And if you ever decide to crochet things for your dolls, scarves are a really good starting point. I've also found Baby Yarn is good for doll things; it tends to be lightweight, thin and soft and if you use a really small crochet hook (I tend to use 2mm or 2.5mm as they are the smallest I have currently), you end up with small stitches that go fairly well in terms of scale for your dolls.
Thanks! I'm currently trying with a 2mm hook and a really thin yarn but after the holidays I plan go shopping for something more to my taste and I'll check baby yarn :D! I'll try a scarf then :)
DeleteOh well done Alasse, I noticed an improvement withthe blanket stitch, it's looking really neat. Actually reminds me of a tutorial I did some time back on another blog, which might be good with Christmas loomiing. I will dig it up and post it shortly.
ReplyDeleteThe jumper/shirt looks great, sox are really good for making them and I like the large collar, it gives it a bit of style.
Isabelle's wig and eyes are very complimentary, she looks very pretty in that colour. Bummer about Luts, funny how that seems to happen at the wrong time, it's very annoying. :(
You should be able to find the safety eyes in either Spotlight or Lincraft, but if you don't try Gerry's Teddy Bear Supplies (Qld.) or Teddies Bits (NSW) online.
Hugs,
X
Thanks Xanadu. I still have uneven stitches at times and I really have to focus to get it neat but the practice helps. I will keep an eye out for your tutorial!
DeleteI'm just stoked that second attempt turned out as well as it did. It's definitely given me a bit more confidence to keep sewing little bits and pieces for my doll. I have to sew clothing for MH dolls too so that will be interesting although I did sew some draft pants the other day and they turned out pretty good, if slightly too big.
You were right about the lighter hair colour for Isabelle. I think it goes really well with her face up colours too. This was the wig I had mentioned having my eye on a while back.
Thanks so much for the heads up on that. For some reason, I never even thought to look at Spotlight or Lincraft but it's good to know there are online options as well.