I've been experimenting a bit with diorama making recently and have discovered a few things.
Having sold off a few dolls (unstrung in smaller boxes because shipping from here is ridiculous), I had empty doll boxes just lying around. Normally I would break these down and recycle them but I decided to cut them up and use them for a small diorama.
What I learned was that, glue warps foamboard and cardboard, even the tough hard cardboard used for doll boxes. In conclusion, wood is the best option.
My first diorama (on the screen left) was made from one of those storage boxes for hats. The second diorama was made from foam board.The third and most recent diorama was made from cardboard (the hard type used for doll boxes - screen right).
You can see the warping from the glue on the floorboards on the third diorama. This is why I think a thin type wood will give a much better result making the floor more stable for the dolls to stand on.
Even with heavy books placed on top during the drying process, the floor still warped.
Scale wise, even with my Cu-poche girl standing on a chair, it still works great for this size. As long as my Pureneemo is on the XS body, this scale works fine but because of the floor warping, dolls and figures tend to be a bit unstable and fiddly to pose.
The plan is to pick up some wood this coming week and have hubby cut it to scale next weekend and start work on the floor boards. I also want walls that can be folded (flat packed) for better storage. My first two dioramas didn't have this and as a result, that second one was pulled down (nowhere to store it and was too big). It needs to be able to be stored easily (60L container) when not in use. So my idea is trying to use some sort of hinging to join the two walls together (kind of like the hinging you see on doors).
I have a bookshelf in pieces on the table right now waiting for the paint to try before I can put it together to actually look like a bookshelf. I'll see how that goes.
Not like I need anymore hobbies but I picked up a Monster High Mega Bloks set and a Friends Lego set earlier in the week.
This was so much fun to put together. (The flower pot and watering can were not part of the set. They came with a Hello Kitty set but the grass from that set was missing so I used it in Ghoulia's lab to spice things up.)
I'm not collecting this particular line but I wanted this recording studio specifically because it reminded me so much of the Sims Superstar expansion (I think Sims 1?). I loved putting this one together.
I've already got my wishlist in to the hubby for Christmas.






I love what you've done for your dioramas, it seems like sooo much fun! When I have space I definitely want to build a doll house, it's one of my dreams xO
ReplyDeleteI adore those lego sets, so amazing! Brings back childhood memories for sure :D (Also, I adore the Sims and still play Sims 2 every week)
I hope you get to build that doll house. I always wanted one as a kid but never got one.
DeleteI never got to play with lego as a kid. I didn't really get a lot of toys growing up to be honest. Sometimes I think I'm making up for lost time!
Ah, always great to meet a fellow Simmer. I miss Sims 2. The weather expansion was always my favourite. I've played all of them (also have Sims 4) but Sims 2 was always a favourite. You could do so much with it and all the custom content was just staggering. Also, people did machinima and photo stories with Sims 2. You don't really see a lot of that with Sims 3 or 4. Ah ... the good ole days.
Thanks for showing us your experiences doing dioramas, I was just thinking of trying one, though it should be quite big even if it's for YoSd .>.>.... I loved the ones you did, it sucks the cardboard warps. Here you can ask in the store for the wood to be cut in the pieces and sizes you want and they don't charge extra, though there's a minimum size they can cut and I think it's 15cms. works for me anyways XD I have no way of cutting my own wood or anyone that could do it for me, so you are lucky :D
ReplyDeleteThose lego look cool! My brother is mega fan of legos, but he hasn't got any in years, maybe I should find some for his bday~ The ghostbusters one specially *u*
Oh I would love to see what you do with your diorama. And honestly, it can be any size you want. I just make them a size I can store easily! I wish our store did that but I don't believe they do. Hubby is doing renovations with his dad under the house at the moment so he has the electric saw thing (don't know what it's called) so that's good as it belongs to his dad but it's here at the moment. (We're expanding our living space and adding an extra guest room and bathroom.)
DeleteOh that would be awesome. I have fingers crossed you are able to get your brother the Ghostbusters one. Apparently that is one of the popular ones. They also have Back to the Future.
Hi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteI'm always interested to read about dioramas, and appreciated your thoughts on working with the different boards. I was thinking that the piano hinge, that's available from Bunnings, might do the trick if you want to hinge the corners. It's quite small and would probably be okay with wood or MDF. I hope you do a tutorial when you do make it in wood. :)
The recording studio looks great, not so fussed with the Lego though, it never was my thing.
Hugs,
X
Thanks Xanadu for the heads up on the piano hinge and MDF. I will have a look when I am at Bunnings. I will certainly try and do at least a progress post, not sure how I would go with a tutorial as I have never done one before but I'll give it a go.
DeleteLego is a lot like bjd collecting in that it's a niche market so it won't appeal to everyone. I enjoy putting things together which is the appeal for me. Just wish I had children to build Lego with!