Friday, 23 December 2016

A Christmas Room Cheat

This year, I've really had to think outside the box as I haven't really been able to get my hands on everything I need for every diorama idea I've had. So I've had to figure out little workarounds. Some of you may recall that I mentioned a while ago about the use of old magazine pages as backdrops which work particularly well for 1/6 scale dolls.They work similar to the vinyl backdrops you can buy for dolls except they're really only small enough to work well for smaller dolls.

If you're finding that time is an issue, particularly this time of year and you haven't been able to get a diorama together, the magazine page method is a quick solution. It's a no fuss, no frills version that can be put together in under five minutes.


Read on for instructions ...




To start, you'll need:
A4 binder (any kind will do)
Some pegs (for holding magazine pages to the binder)
Scrapbook Paper for flooring
Old Magazines
Doll of Choice
Some actual props (to make the scene look more realistic)

To assemble, it's as simple as picking an image from your old magazines. It doesn't matter if it has small white writing in the corners as you will most likely only use a small portion of the magazine image anyway. Open your A4 binder so it sits on a flat surface open. Take your magazine image and attach it to one side of the open binder with pegs. Slide flooring scrapbook paper under the binder. Add small props as required. Set up your doll. Click away.


A clean look at the set up (without the materials text). I picked scrapbook paper that was similar to the one shown on the magazine page for the floor. Lucky I had one handy already.  I added some small wrapped present boxes I had and a cushion and chair to give the whole effect a bit more of a 3D feel.

Then I took photographs playing with direction, angle and cropping. This is the fun part. If you do happen to get any of the small magazine text in your photo, you can just simply crop the photo.



There you have it, a quick and speedy way of getting a photo together when you're under the pump.

MyFroggyStuff has also posted a really great tutorial on a quick diorama using photos from magazines. Check it out here for another quick and speedy method.

8 comments:

  1. How cool!!! I worked so hard and my photos didn't turn as good LOL! I need to give this a try with my momoko doll, oh I feel I will be having a lot of fun with her :D!!!

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do give it a go and be sure to post photos! I'd love to see the results.

      I saw your Christmas photos on your blog and I think you did a great job. Those cookies literally had my mouth watering, they look so yum!

      Merry Christmas to you too! I plan to post a Christmas photo tonight as today here, it's Christmas Eve.

      Delete
  2. Hahah this is a great idea for photos and works great for smaller dolls! Too bad that there aren't magazines big enough for SD sized photos XD (unless you just want a close-up portrait)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can sort of work for SDs but you have to have them standing a bit further in front of the magazine page and you can get their head to their waist in the shot, it's tricky but not impossible. You just can't do a full length shot! I keep meaning to buy one of those vinyl backdrops for my big dolls but never seem to get around to it. Maybe next year I can do one little photo platform for the big dolls.

      Delete
  3. So great, thanks for this idea!
    I have sometimes used books and posters, but never thought about those beautiful seasonal photos in magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I find it works well for the Yo-SD and smaller bjds as well. It can work for bigger bjds with some experimental angling and cropping.

      Delete
  4. Using the A4 binder is simple yet so brilliant, thanks for the amazing suggestion! I love how the photos came out, and your girl has the coziest winter fashion x3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I'm always looking for ways to take photos without emptying my entire wallet! Doll things get so expensive.

      Delete