It's taken a while but someone had requested a tutorial on how I glue suede my dolls. So here it is.
What you will need:
Low Temp Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
Cardboard cut into small squares or rectangles
Your resin doll
I use a low temp glue gun because it isn't as hot as the high temp ones and in my experience it doesn't burn the resin. I've used this method to glue suede most of my dolls and have never seen any ill effects from it personally. Be aware that just because the glue gun is low temp does not mean it won't still burn your fingers so please be careful!
I start by un-stringing my doll as it is much easier to work with individual pieces than trying to get glue around elastic! After my glue gun is heated up, I spread out a glob of glue like in the picture onto the section I am going to suede. (Note: the glue dries quickly so you need to work fast.)
Next I take my pre-cut cardboard piece and use it to smooth out the glob of glue around the area. If there's a bit of texture still, it's fine. What you don't want is to have huge massive lumps as they will impede the joints going back together well. If you do happen to find some or go a bit out of the area by accident, you can just pick the glue out. This is why I love this method. You can remove the glue whenever you want and it's easy to do. You can just peel it away most of the time. Some stubborn bits you will have to work at to get off but it's not permanent. Strangely, I find it therapeutic when I have to re-do the glue suede on my dolls and pick out the glue.
The finished product. Okay so it doesn't look elegant or neat but it does the job. I tend to suede arm, elbow, chest, waist, leg and knee joints. I've found success just doing these areas. It depends if your doll has a two piece or three piece body.
You can also use this method on the area just under the head and around the head hole if you are finding the head of your doll just flops everywhere. I have done this to my Dollzone Hid and found it works a treat.
It's as easy as that. I do tend to place the joints together after I have glue sueded that area to check the parts fit back together okay before moving on to the next area. That way if the glue is too thick, I can pull it off and re-do it then and there and not go to re-string and then find the parts don't fit back together properly.
This is how I glue suede my dolls. You can use pliver or thin leather but with that method, I've seen it done and after cutting out the pieces to match the area, you actually have to glue it on with a water based glue or something. I have not done this method but I've seen a friend do it and it works just as well, particularly if you don't want to mess with glue guns.
While I had Resinsoul Mi in pieces anyway, I decided to add eyelashes to her and that turned out much easier than putting it on my Impldoll Gela. Smaller heads are hard!
I'm still trying to decide if I actually like her with a fringe or not. I've tried some of the fringe-less wigs I have here on her and I rather like that on her as well. I'm also now basing her more off a roleplay character I had in a roleplay about Gods. She's the Desert Queen and will draw strongly from ancient Egypt and Arabian style outfits. She's essentially the personification of the Sun Goddess. I've made Brunhilde my Lady of the Forest now. I think it suits her as I will draw from Norse and Celtic mythology for the outfit.
Hope the tutorial was helpful to someone. Enjoy the week ahead!






Great tip! Have not come to glue sueding Noomi's head, but will do this as soon as I can - it is not any time taking, but coming to the part to picking up things I need to do this, is another thing. Lazy me. :D
ReplyDeleteShe is a beauty with her red lips and the fringe looks good on her.
Enjoy the new week!
Let me know how you go with it if you end up trying it. I've found this method works wonders for most dolls and improves their posing a lot. There are always exceptions to the rule of course.
DeleteI'm still floored really by how far Resinsoul has come. They really hold a special place in my heart as one of the first dolls I owned in the early years of my collecting.
I never tried this but it's a good method, thanks for sharing! I can't wait to read and see more of the Desert Queen, and such outfits will be awesome on her :-).
ReplyDeleteI've read that people use a similar method to loose limbs on vinyl dolls but with superglue instead. You put a bit into the joints and move the joints as the glue is drying and it adds friction enough to get the limps working again. I have a vinyl with very loose limbs that I want to do try this with.
DeleteI have a few ideas for her outfit, I just need to figure out how to make them exactly.
My vinyl doll Peggy Harcourt has very loose knee joints. Thanks so much for the tip, I will try the superglue! She can't stand on her own right now, so it will be a big improvement!
DeleteAh, it was an Integrity tutorial. Here's the link for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFcGag2MaEc
DeleteJust watched it, thanks for the link!
DeleteI like using hot glue and it's a very useful tip. I just need a bjd doll to try it. ;)
ReplyDeleteI think that fringe suits your Desert Queen. I'm very curious what will her outfits look like.
I think I will be sticking to the fringe. I am just trying to find one in that size that I like at a place I can order a few things from as I hate ordering just one thing and paying high shipping for it!
DeleteI've never done any glue sueding. Somehow putting glue inside the joint holes doesn't seem right to me. But I'm still new to the hobby, so perhaps I have to get used to this idea. ^^ I may give it a try in the future. I wonder if silicon discs can do the trick as well. Anyway, thanks for the tutorial, it's very useful. And your new doll looks much better with eyelashes. A Desert Queen? Sounds interesting. Arabian style outfit would suit her. A lot of gold, veils and so on. :)
ReplyDeleteI was a bit like that when I first joined the hobby. However this method has been around for ages and after watching a few videos and reading a ton of tutorials on it, I tried it and the first time was very nerve wrecking. I thought it would ruin my doll but it didn't. I've really not looked back since. I also think it's personal taste too as some people prefer the pliver method to the glue sueding. The silicone disks can do the trick and can work although I find that they tend to get sucked into the joints. I have one on my MYD Heeah's head at the moment and it annoys the heck out of me. I just haven't got around to glue sueding her yet.
DeleteYes I agree, veils, gold, brown - kind of thinking more earthy tones. Whether I can make it happen is another story!
Great tips! I always intended to try glue sueding, but have never given it a go.
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to do and works great. At least I think so. I would suggest not trying it on your best doll the first time around just in case you find you really dislike the method.
DeleteHi Alasse,
ReplyDeleteI prefer glue sueding over the other methods too, it's easy to do and simple to rectify if you make a mistake.
The fringe wig suits her, I would keep it on her if I were you. :) But in saying that I haven't seen the other wig on her.
Hugs,
X
I really love it and I really don't do any form of modding on my resin dolls. This is about as far as I go with customisation of this nature.
DeleteI'm thinking it suits her too. I just need to find one in her size because this one makes her head look huge to me. It's very very roomy.