I've been a busy little bee this week on the days I haven't been rostered on at work. I've made some cushions and spray painted an old cane doll chair to bring it up to a more modern flavour. I also managed to sew a shirt!
First up is the given new life cane chair perfect for 1/6 scale dolls that I picked up at an op shop last year that I never did anything with. I didn't much like the really dark brown colour and hubby suggested buying spray paint and recolouring it. I love the results. And keeping with my new tropical theme fever, I added some plush cushions to finish off the look.
I also got some Barbie sized patterns from Requiem Art Designs. It's the simple shirt pattern. I did make a mistake but this is my first try at the pattern and I really enjoyed it. Once I figured out where everything was supposed to go, I was right as rain. Gabriella models her new pink shirt (incidentally, in honour of Xanadu's Pink Fridays! Hence why I chose this fabric and colour and was like a mad woman trying to finish this today.)
In hindsight, I probably should have used a pink coloured thread but I still think it turned out good despite the flaws. Of course, I'll be making more of these shirts and trying her simple pants pattern over the weekend.
I also picked up some Acetone as I read that some people use it on vinyl heads. Lucky I have several test heads to try it on first. Anyone have experience with using this to remove face ups on Barbie, MH etc? Sadly my non-acetone nail polish removers are not working to get the faces off. The only brand that worked is no longer being sold hence why I've had to look at other options. People have said Windsor and Newton brush cleaner but that stuff is near impossible to get where I live.
Happy Friday! Have a good one!




I LOVE what you've done with the chair and the little diorame, it's so realistic, and it suits your Barbie perfectly.
ReplyDeleteThe tee shirt is also great, have you also tried the free Barbie tee shirt from Pixie Faire? I've tried that one it's a lovely pattern too.
Good luck with finding the right stuff to remove facepaint!
Hugs xx
I had that little diorama for a while. I made it initially for my Momoko girls but they work for Barbie as well. They don't work for my IT girls though as they're just a touch too tall!
DeleteI haven't tried that Pixie Faire pattern. I had a quick look. I didn't like to put my details in unless I plan to buy from them and it seems like they require that information even for a free pattern sadly.
I have test heads so at least if the Acetone does something horrible, it won't really matter too much.
I've tried to remove faceup of my EAH with acetone and it was not so good. So I used nitro thinner and it was much better. Your new doll chair is really great. And it looks perfect with those lovely cushions. Oh yes, tropical pattern and monstera leaves are very fashionable. However this year's Pantone colour is coral. ;) I like the photos on the wall. Twiggy is a timeless icon.
ReplyDeleteI seem to read mixed reviews about acetone. Some people use it without issue on vinyl and others have had bad experiences with it. I tried Isoprop Alcohol which is what I use to remove resin face ups but it doesn't seem to do anything on vinyl face ups. Someone else mentioned thinner as well. I only need a little as I only really enhance faces on Barbie more than anything else.
DeleteI got that neat little board with Twiggy on it from a seller on Etsy who no longer has her store sadly. She was a great photographer of IT dolls too. Not sure what's happened to her though. Hope she's okay.
Oh Alasse, great job!! I am so proud of you for sewing this sweet little PINK tee! It's looking pretty cool on your Barbie.
ReplyDeleteLove the colour you chose for the chair, the whole room looks fabulous and very tropical indeed. You manage to turn these rooms out so quickly and they always look great! I have some of those chairs amongst my stash, must dig them out, I forgot I had them until I saw yours. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Sorry can't help with wiping the faces off, I haven't been game to do any of my vinyl dolls yet.
Big hugs,
X
I had a lot of fun sewing it but sewing by hand takes forever! I managed to get through one Doctor Who movie and the Serenity movie before this was finished!! I want to make a few more. I love them on Barbie.
DeleteI am really into this tropical stuff lately. I think it's all the green and bright colours and flamingoes.
This diorama was already a made one, initially designed for my Momoko girls but Barbie can use it too. This was the one i made from poster board using the MyFroggyStuff tutorial. I have a few of these. They are corner rooms, easy to put together and folds down to store easy too. I love them. And quick to set up and take down!
I am looking forward to see how you utilise your chair! I picked mine up from Lifeline or Endeavour I think. Sometimes I find dolls there to restore. Usually mostly Barbies or MH dolls though.
Thank goodness for test heads right? I have quite a few of them that have no bodies and I use to experiment materials on.
I absolutely adore how the chair turned out and how well the pillows match it, I'm in love with the tropical vibe you are giving to your diorama and I can't wait to see more.
ReplyDeleteLoving the shirt as well, I wish I could make something for my dolls, but it's okay, I can make them furniture instead of clothes :D
I love these sorts of colours. I think it really modernises the chair a lot. And I was surprised the cushions went well with the colours as well. I need to trawl the op shops more to see if I can pick up more things to restore.
DeleteI plan to make a few more of these shirts. I am looking for Momoko patterns too now. My Momoko dolls have the smallest wardrobe out of all of my dolls with my Barbie and BJDs having the biggest wardrobes!
That chair looks so good, what a great idea to paint these types of items!
ReplyDeleteIt's also cool to see you sewing stuff ~ I've found pinterest is a goldmine for free patterns (and also free scans of those Japanese dolly magazines with tons of patterns in them!)
I have some pink Barbie furniture plus that wardrobe you sent me I have to restore. It's a quick and easy way to repaint something and give it new life.
DeleteI always keep forgetting to check pinterest, mostly because I have to be logged in to view it and I'm lazy with that sometimes. I mostly check for interior design inspirations though. But will check it out later today. Thank you for the tip!
Both shirt and chair looks great! And the pillows make it look so comfy... (plus, I love the sheep ;)).
ReplyDeleteAs for the dolls heads, I've only used acetone-free remover and magic sponge... I think the test would be the best solution, because everything depends on the quantity of the acetone in the remover. The effects may vary...
The sheep is awesome. It's a scene I cut out from one of my Country Life magazines. They are a great resource for quick and easy window scenes!
DeleteI think the acetone I bought may be pure acetone and not in a nail polish remover as I have never seen anything other than acetone-free remover here. I will have to remember to wear gloves when using it though!
I agree with them above, both chair and shirt look great! And the more you sew, the more you learn.
ReplyDeleteI have used acetone-free remover on my vinyl dolls and even on some bjd parts, for cleaning spots and so. Works well, but do not blend with water - that makes a burning thing happen. Melts vinyl and that is no fun. Had an accident in the rookie-days with one of my first MH-dolls. I was quick enough to wipe it clean before too much happened. Now I really let the remover dry before I dab the doll with a wet cotton ball. Got some great magic sponges from a shop for auto mobile parts. Works too!
Yikes, I have never heard of that happening. Did you wash the head straight after and that caused the burning on the vinyl? I used acetone-free nail polish remover too and wash the face in warm soapy water afterwards and then rinse in cold water and I've never seen anything like that happen to it!!
DeleteShirt looks really nice, I love the tiny pattern.
ReplyDeleteAnd the diorama is just perfect! I want to make one in same colours for my girls. I just love it. And the chair is wonderful.
I use acetone and for now it works great. Just do not use it on dark-skinned dolls. It leaves white coating.
There's just something so happy about the tropical theme. Makes you think of lazy days with a cool breeze and the soft sound of the ocean.
DeleteThank you for the tip on acetone. I bought it but haven't used it on any of my dolls yet to remove face ups. I will try it on my test heads but not the dolls I am repainting currently.