Sunday, 24 February 2019

Of Fashion and Floral Shirts

I wanted to post up some pages from "The Dress - 100 Iconic Moments in Fashion" and "Iconic - The Masters of Italian Fashion" - both by Megan Hess. for Xanadu.

You can click on the image to view a larger version than the one that shows on my blog page.



I don't think I've mentioned before that I'm a huge fan of fashion illustrations and even dabbled in it for a little while.





These were done a few years ago. The first was a photo from a fashion magazine that I saw and I think the second was the same. I just like the exaggerated human form used in those fashion illustrations.

I also did a slight face enhancement on Gabriella's twin.


She has no name right now and I haven't completely settled on her hairstyle yet. I repainted her eye colour, added some heavy blushing to her eyes, cheeks and chin, added freckles, repainted her lips. She had one of those pink lip barbie with white teeth smiles. I wasn't sure if I will paint in the white for the teeth again or not. Not sure if she looks weird without it or not. I also added some hair to her eyebrows but you can't really see it as it was very faint.


Also made another shirt today, this one with a different fabric design. I am much happier with my second attempt. I still need to make my handsewn stitches smaller but I get impatient and end up making them longer than they should be! I did also make some pants out of lightweight denim looking fabric but, it doesn't fit her. I think I might have sewn the crotch area wrong as it barely covers her bottom! I will have to try it again but the first attempt wasn't too bad though. I didn't bother taking a photo of the pants as they really don't fit her at all.

That's it for today. Back to the salt mines tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I love this post, great outfit ideas!! I love fashion illustrations as well, but while yours are great mine are terrible!

    And Gabriella's twin looks great! I hope you'll find a name for her soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something so magically wonderful about fashion illustrations, the colours, the feel - to me, it's a lovely flowing art style.

      I still haven't come up with a name but I think maybe it begins with G as well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting these Alasse, I wish they had previews of the other books she has done as it would make it easier to choose. I love that she works in pen and ink, it was always my favourite way to illustrate.

    Your sewing is improving, and it will keep on improving the more you sew. I like the print you chose too. The pant pattern may have been too short in the body for the doll you were making it for, try holding the pattern crotch to the doll and see how far up the back it comes.
    Don't work too hard!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried looking at them via Amazon.com? Sometimes there are previews of a few pages on there (now that we Ozzies are no longer blocked from the site because of the whole GST fiasco!)

      I love sketching in pen. I use that a lot combined with a bit of watercolour. I love watercolour. I enjoy using it more to paint with than acrylic but I think that's just because I need to use acrylic more and practice a bit.

      Spotlight have been getting in some really nice fabric lately. Plus they had a massive sale on their fabrics recently. Bonus score there! I enjoy sewing when things work out!! Thank you for the tip on the pattern. I will try that when I restart the pants for her.

      Delete
  3. I used to be very interested in fashion when I was a teenager. I had some fashion magazines with sewing patterns and I used to draw my own projects. These days I occasionally visit some websites showing Japanese street fashion. The doll looks nice. Sometimes I also have problem with choosing a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty amazing that you drew your own projects. Have you ever thought about getting back into it?

      Choosing names usually consists of me going to a name generator site and picking something that sounds interesting! Although this girl, I still don't have a clue on her name yet.

      Delete
  4. Woo I love those kind of books, they are super fun to look at!
    Loving the enhancement you did on this girl! I think I'd prefer it with teeh but it doesn't look bad without, at all. I love pony tails, I want a doll with one too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie is just such a small size I don't think I will try painting with acrylics on them yet until I get more practice in!

      Fashion books are a lot of fun to look through.

      Delete
  5. There is something beautiful about fashion illustrations. When I was a teenager I used those fashion magazines to cut out wonderful patterns to dresses I made to made paper dolls.
    The doll looks very nice and her face gives her a happy personality. She is cute. Hope you find a name for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's all the colours, patterns and backdrops. They always look cheerful to me, the fashion illustrations.

      Still no name yet. I haven't been trying that hard though!!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely fashion book, I love those illustrations too :) I wish I could draw like that.
    I like what you've done to your girls face, I enjoy enhancing dolls too and making them 'my own', it's just such fun to watch them develop and change.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I wish I could draw fashion figures like that!

      A lot of times, when I am too lazy to wipe the face and repaint it all again, I do an enhancement. Often though I might like the face but want to change one or two things about it!

      Delete
  7. Illustractions looks great! And the book must be very interesting - even though I was never that much into fashion, I always appreciate nice dress or costume :). And the new look of your doll is very gentle - I love it! Aaaaand you are getting better and better with your sewing too :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the book mostly for the art and fashions to be honest. I like looking at outfits. They can be quite inspiring.

      Sometimes, all a factory face needs is a little enhancement!

      I have been enjoying sewing for a change. It's quite relaxing and I get to watch a bunch of shows while doing it!

      Delete
  8. I love fashion drawings too! They are amazing. Thanks for sharing!
    I like your girl's face. And the shirt is really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something I find so elegant about fashion illustrations. Maybe it's the exaggerated figure!

      I really enjoyed sewing the shirt. I think I will be doing a lot more!

      Delete