Saturday, 9 March 2019

Changing Faces

Recently, I've been really focusing on practicing face ups on the EAH and MH girls. I'll tackle resin soon but for now, it's vinyl.

I was hoping to show the progress I had made on my Shiva but I decided I didn't much like the outfit or the painting I did on her leg so I decided to go back to square one. Hopefully I will have some progress to show next week. I went and purchased a better brush that can make much thinner lines so I think that will help particularly with the tattoo work on her legs.

I actually do have a few projects on the go right now but more on that later.

These are my first attempts at pure acrylic face ups for the girls. I had a lot of fun doing these. I made a ton of mistakes but I also learned a lot.  In these first attempts, I didn't bother with any guideline or preliminary sketches. I just put paint on the brush and went for it.


My very first full acrylic face. This was an Apple White sculpt. Her hair was too gooey and glue infested to keep sadly. I wanted to take this photo for posterity. I was going to keep it as I love the colours however, I ended up wiping it. (More on that later.)




My second full acrylic face up. I didn't mind how she turned out actually. Although I may redo this. I found a few issues with painting the whites of the eyes first and then putting the iris on top (in other words, paint can cause unwanted bumps and textures no matter how smooth you try and make it!) 



 My third full acrylic face. My lines are getting better but those eyebrows are still shaky. I don't mind the eye shape but I am going to be redoing this girl. I may or may not try gluing on eyelashes. I'll see what the vibe is like.


 My fourth full acrylic face up. I am starting to get a feel for the brush now. My lines are thinner but not as steady as I would have liked. I am happiest with the eyebrows in this one. The white paint created a lot of unwanted texture so the iris didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Will be redoing this face also.

The following are my second attempts. I used a different method with this one. I sealed using the dab on method which created a lovely tooth to the vinyl. I did in fact draw a guideline sketch for this and I only filled in the white of the eyes around the iris shape rather than paint the entire eye white first.


I could actually do hair strokes with the acrylic this time around. This was about the point I purchased that new, much better brush. I think my lines are a little smoother on this face. I was slowly getting the hang of how to work with the acrylic.

She's my Drusden Queen, a race of fierce warrior women descended from the Druids. 
 

The second face using the same method as above. In actual fact, I was painting these two ladies at the same time. I wanted to make her lips the same colour as the green hair under the purple. I did her hair in a viking style. She's the Queen's Champion and Commander of the Drusden forces.

I like how the sealant makes their faces a little dewy. Not overly shiny but enough to give them a bit of a glow in my opinion.

Remember the very first doll featured in this post? Apple White? I wiped her face (the faint marks are the stains from her original face up by the factory). 


I'm turning her into my Snow Queen. Unfortunately she comes with black gloved hands but that's okay. I will just need to paint them white. I re-rooted her head with this amazing yarn I had that I've wanted to use for hair for a while. It suits her perfectly. The dress was based on a pattern by Doll Art Studio. I just adjusted for EAH girls as they're slightly bigger than MH. I also added some embellishments. I am thinking of adding clear seed beads or pearls to the tulle in random spots to give the illusion of snow drops or ice on her lower skirt. As for shoes, I'm still deciding on that. Not sure if I'll use that crown or make my own. I still have to give her a face as well.

I have also ordered two more EAH girls. One will be my Dryad project and the other will be my Coraline project. But first, I need to finish my Shiva and Edea project.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!


12 comments:

  1. Your blog looks very fresh and spring-like with the new layout. :)
    Painting with acrylics is hard and making such fine lines is even harder.
    This is just beginning so it's natural some lines are uneven. The dolls look really interesting. Especially the last one. With that white hair she reminds me of Madame de Pompadour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was about time to change from the dark look to something a bit lighter and fresher.

      It's definitely a learning curve with acrylic but I do like using it. I hope I can get better with the lines. I always wonder how other people get it so thin but even following their tips, I just can't seem to get as smooth and thin of a line.

      Oh, she does too now that you mention Madam de Pompadour!

      Delete
  2. I love the new layout of your blog, especially the photo! Making face-ups looks like a lot of fun, and yours are getting better with each photo. Rerooted doll looks great now, can't wait to see her finished - all in cold white and maybe some silver? While I hate winter, I do love winter-themed dolls ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't checked what sort of backgrounds blogspot had for ages so I was happy to find this nice leafy one there.

      I like painting the faces. It goes well with my love of drawing portraits but on a different medium. It is a lot harder to draw on dolls then on paper though!

      I'm the opposite I love winter but our winter is nothing like yours, we never get snow or even get that cold here. It's more of a crisp cold spring here than true winter.

      Delete
  3. I think you're doing really well with the faces, particularly the eyes, and I can see the improvement as you're going along. I find working with a paintbrush and acrylic paints very difficult, my lines are never as thin as I'd like them, hence I tend to use watercolour pencils and pastels. I also find the bumps difficult to work with if I paint the white of the eyes beforehand....but if I do it afterwards and only around the irises, I tend to make mistakes!
    I really like the wool you've used for her hair, I need something like that in either very dark brown or black!!
    Have a great weekend!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is puzzling how artists can get the lines so thin. If I water down the acrylic too much, it just goes everywhere. So I'm still trying to find that happy balance.

      I'm glad I seem to be improving! I think sometimes I don't see it myself but I find you are always more critical of your own work.

      The yarn is one I've had for ages and I have never seen another one like it here. The store I bought it from closed down a while ago. It was just sitting there doing nothing so it was perfect to use it in this case.

      Delete
  4. Well they do say practice makes perfect Alasse and I can see improvements with every brush stroke. :) You sure have been busy, and the re-root you have done on your Snow Queen is stunning, I love the fibre you have used. I can also see an improvement in your sewing skills, the dress is coming along nicely and I think the added crystal beads will give it just the right touch of icyness (if there is such a word). I shall look forward to seeing this gal completed with much anticipation.

    I also like the new header, it has a real air of magic about it, especially with the added sprinkle of fairy dust...it's beautiful!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate re-rooting as I find it relaxing, it just takes a while. It took me two days to reroot her and I don't do every single plug hole when I reroot with yarn (to reduce bulk).

      Lucky I am enjoying the practice. I am learning something new each time and finding new methods to do things. Trial and error.

      That dress took me all day to sew together. (I handsew rather than machine sew). I have no idea why as it's such a small scale, but it felt like forever! I am glad though with the results. I just need to figure out her shoes!

      Delete
  5. Your blog is so bright and lovely with the changes!
    And your repaints look good. I have never been so good at the acrylic when it comes to repaints. It gets lumpy and messy. I have bought some tiny and thin brushes, originally used for nail art, to try again some day.
    Snow Queen looks amazing and her hair suits her well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little sick of the dark theme I had for ages. Thought it would be neat to change things up. I do keep forgetting this is my blog though as I'm used to the dark theme!!

      Acrylic definitely takes some getting used to. I find it's a lot of trial and error.

      Delete
  6. You can feel Spring here! :) I like the new look a lot. :)

    It seems that you was pretty busy. :) I like your ideas. And new hair of Apple White are just amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like it was time for a change with the blog theme. I am really loving this new colour theme. It's inspiring me a lot!

      The yarn was such a great one. Shame I can't buy it anymore.

      Delete