Sunday, 2 August 2020

Awake

The second installment of Mareth's adventures finds her where we left off in The Old Manor House Secret. She had managed to find the hidden door to the abandoned underground basement. After she entered, she was attacked by an invisible force that knocked her unconscious.

Track:Valhalla ~ BrunuhVille


Mareth floated for a time in a darkness so thick and dense that she feared that she had unexpectedly fallen into the depths of the world between life and death. She had read the texts but to experience this for herself was a marvel had she not been so afraid.

She lost track of how long she had been floating, time was different here. She could feel its flow and yet she could not quite grasp or understand its language. Even her body felt weightless, un-moored, cut from its very foundation. At first, when the darkness began to recede, she fancied she had imagined it, that her eyes, if she had them deceived her. Yet the light grew in size and intensity until she felt her feet land on soft ground. To her sight, it looked like fine sand. She knelt and scooped a handful, letting the grains fall through her fingers. It was then she noticed she had a body once more, the very body she remembered, the one she had cared for all these years. She raised her head and gazed out at the scene before her. Sand for miles and miles as far as the eye could see. An endless swell of it winding into oblivion.

Where am I? The thought formed in her mind and echoed around her, filling the space outside her physical being. And a voice answered.

Who are you? Why are you here?


She felt a sharp pull, a tug that she could not resist and then she was flying backwards, back the way she had come until the light and sand was swallowed up again, vanishing as if it had never been. She groaned. The sound was different, more present. Her body ached, her head pounded.

She pried her eyes open, first one, then the other. The soft glow of lit torches met her gaze and she blinked. She was leaning against cold stone, the rough texture dug into her back and a musty scent filled her nose. As she came slowly awake, the din of voices registered finally in her mind.


"Did you really have to hit her that hard?" it was a male voice, young and deep.
"I didn't mean to. I can't control this yet." the second voice was younger but also male. There was a tremble in his words.
"Well, let's hope we didn't kill her. That will be all we need. Another group of people hunting us down." there was a sigh and the sound of footsteps coming closer.
"Uh Jamal ... I think she's awake."

She stared at the two young boys. One tall, one short. They looked like any other travellers she had seen on the roads but there was a strange aura that surrounded the shorter man. There was something about him that made her shrink away.

She licked dry lips and swallowed. "Who - who are you?"



...to be continued...

15 comments:

  1. That was a really unpleasant awakening. But I'm sure Mareth will find a way out of this situation. Great photos! The lighting gives the impression like she was in a cellar or a dungeon with burning torches mounted on walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that came across as that was what I was going for. I had to wait for night time to take these as I needed to use candles for the light and it was just too bright during the day.

      Delete
  2. The feeling of waking up to a nightmare instead of waking up from the same. Hope she finds a way out of this in one piece. Love the photos. There is some warmth in them, brings hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mareth is a very resourceful young woman so I'm sure she will be okay. I've already written the next installment but I still have to take photos for it.

      Delete
  3. This was a very pleasant read, I can't wait to read more.
    Mareth is so pretty, I love the style of these older sculpts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really was something unique I feel about the older sculpts that is lost now. I'm glad I was able to get a few of those older sculpts when I did. I'm enjoying writing this story - the most difficult part is trying to take the photos to match the prose. That's very challenging.

      Delete
  4. Mmm this is all very interesting Alasse, I really like this story, it's intriguing with wonderful descriptions that paint a good picture in ones mine and it certainly left me wanting to read more. :) Wonderful photos too!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read ones MIND, bloody spell check!!

      Delete
    2. The story is the easy part. The photos on the other hand - particularly with the next few scenes to come is a little more challenging as I need to make things look like the characters are in an abandoned basement. I may end up having to play a little with photo manipulation to make things work.

      Delete
  5. Great story!
    And I love the photos - the lightening and poses. It was a great pleasure to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a few weeks to figure out how I could match the photos to the prose. I had this written a while ago but I had been a bit stumped on how to portray it. Glad it worked!

      Delete
  6. A very nice story, I look forward to more :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to post more. It takes a bit longer because I have to figure out how to do the photos!

      Delete
  7. Great illustrations for intriguing story. I hope Mareth will be ok and the men that attacked her didn't really mean any harm... As usual, już waiting for more! This can be the beginning of very interesting frienship ;).
    Aaaand I'm very curious what "it" is. A weapon? Some strange power to repell foes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed. You're very good at picking up what isn't said and reading between the lines. I like where your speculation is heading. I've already written the next scene, I wrote it the day after I posted this. I just haven't got around to getting the photos so just waiting on me to go and get photos. The scene after the next one is the tricky one that I've been trying to figure out how to resolve (in terms of photos). It might be difficult to photograph as I really do not have the right props. If I was doing it in the Sims, it would be a piece of cake.

      Delete